Brandon Pettigrew vs Shawn Nelson

Well, I see very few Bills' games - but it's been my understanding by listening to those who see plenty, that their TE has to pretty much be a blocker.

No?

Not necessarily. Last week Jauron said that they feel that a receiving threat tight end is just as valuable in the running game because he can go out into the pattern and take people out of the box with him. So he said.

Heath Miller in my view is a complete TE. I see Pettigrew being a better Heath Miller, and I'd be very happy to have a player like Miller.

That seems to be a consensus from what I've read. I keep fearing he might be another Kyle Brady though (drafted 9th overall, great blocker, zero as a receiver).

Nelson is great.

Casey is great.

Coffman is great.

Lots of good tight ends. No need to reach for one at #11 or fall in love with any of them. It's similar to the big receiver choice last year with Limas Sweed, James Hardy, and Malcolm Kelly. They're all real close and you would be happy with any of them at #42.

The one thing, I think Magox made the point...Pettigrew is supposed to be a killer blocker. If we re-sign Peters, get a real nice left guard and draft Pettigrew, the Bills would have a pretty serious smash mouth component.

Hmmm...smash mouth football team with Lee Evans and Terrell Owens to threaten defenses downfield. Sounds good to me.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read the weaknesses at the beginning of this thread, the main two are his speed and route running ability.

As for his 40 time, if that is the case, which i'm not saying it isn't. That is really surprising to me. Almost everything about him I read mentions his lack of speed, but I definitely think that Heath Miller is a solid overall TE. If they really are close in speed, then I withdrawal my comment about that.

I dunno, it just seems like everything I read about this kid has him as a bit of a trouble maker and more of a blocking TE than anything else.

And trust me, I want the Bills to have a good overall TE. But I don't want to see a first round pick go to waste. And, once again, everything I see would indicate that he's not worth an 11 overall pick. I've seen mocks where the Bills don't take him and he falls almost to the second round.

Yea well, no offense to the OP but who the heck is draftcountdown.com? its some guy named Scott Wright who started a website about the draft. Looks like he read ESPN's mock drafts and pretty much copied them. Anyone can start a website and post who they think will be a good prospect with pro's and con's.

Not for nothing but I would rather read and rely on scout.com or Mike Mayock / Charles Davis at NFL.com, then just another bozo who has no credentials to be a draft scout.

Mike Mayock's top 5 TE's

Tight ends

1 Brandon Pettigrew Oklahoma State Old-school TE like Jason Witten, not a blazer

2 Shawn Nelson Southern Miss Gifted vertical receiver, willing blocker

3 Cornelius Ingram Florida Gifted athlete, missed '08 (torn ACL)

4 *James Casey Rice Natural ball skills, not a blocker

5 Chase Coffman Missouri Great frame and hands, average speed/never in-line

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d...mp;confirm=true

top 20 players: Rk Player Pos. School Pro Day workout

1 Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest March 23

2 Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech March 12 (will not run due to foot injury)

3 Jason Smith OT Baylor Brandt: Smith attracts many scouts

4 Brian Orakpo DE/LB Texas March 25

5 Eugene Monroe OT Virginia March 19

6 Matthew Stafford QB Georgia March 19

7 Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia March 19

8 Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma State March 11

9 Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri March 5

10 Mark Sanchez QB USC April 1

11 B.J. Raji DT Boston College March 12

12 Robert Ayers DE Tennessee March 11

13 Andre Smith OT Alabama March 11

14 Percy Harvin WR Florida March 15