Ready to be Knocked Back Down to Earth?

You should. It was pretty good. It might modify your view of Bowen.

Okay, I read it. It was pretty much what I figured it was going to be and didn't change my view of (I assume you meant) TO.

By the way, any Poland sightings lately? He's kind of like a terrorist. He disappears and thousands rise to take his place.

Who cares where that fool is? The less he's here, the less polluted this place is.

But he's wrong about the "tremdenous" downside. The downside is minimal. If Jauron and Edwards can't deal with a strong personality than neither of them has any business leading an NFL team and need to be gone. If anything, TO could push those two issues to resolution, one way or the other. And that would be a plus.

I couldn't agree with this statement more... This is the time for Trent Edwards especially to step up and make this his team. If he "can't deal with a strong personality" as you say, how does he ever expect to become a leader and Super Bowl contender? Would Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Ben Roethlisberger put up with one of their skill position players calling them out or throwing fits on the sideline? Of course not... Edwards shouldn't either. If we happen to see T.O. up to his antics with this team, (which I hope we don't) Edwards should step up and tell him exactly where his place is... He's the one who should, because I don't believe Jauron can... Jauron has already knocked us all back down to earth.

I certainly won't be knocked back down to earth...

Listen to the Cowboys Players and what they say about TO...Put in the tape and watch TO...The good AND the bad...Then decide if He's going to help the Team You watched struggle to score a single FG in 4 Quarters at Home last season...Risk? Ummm...Not so much...

Any questions? :blink:

I'm happy about the TO signing, but not euphoric like some. The Bills have a lot of holes to fill, and Juaron/Turk might not be able to utilize Owens as well as they should. But I'm also not THIS down on the move:

http://billsdaily.com/articles/bogyo/2009/owens.shtml

Of course like Sully, he's usually right.

Yes, its a horrible deal to sign a guy that has almost as many receiving TD's the past 2 years as the Bills have total as a TEAM(25 for Owens, 26 for the Bills). The problem with so many people who follow the Bills is that they just can't ever be happy about something, without pointing out 100 negatives that then overshadow the positives in their mind.

All I can say is this: Owens talent and on-field performance are unquestionable---the guy is a HOF lock. Even on the downside of his career, Owens is still better than than 85% of the WR's in this league. I mean, I understand he isn't catching 90+ passes a year anymore for 1500+ yards and 15 TD's, but he clearly is capable of 60-70 catches, 900-1100 yards and 10 TD's...and that is a hell of a lot better than what the Bills had before....

However, of course to a lot of people, since the Bills made a smart signing that now gives them one of the deadliest deep threat, big play receiving duos in the NFL, they now have to search high and low for reasons it is never going to work and how it was a dumb move---just so they have something to complain about...and to all who say this team has lots of holes to fill, I agree they do, but so do lots of other teams...

Back to the topic...

Here's the email I wrote Tony after reading his article:

There may or may not be some sort of franchise clause. Speculation. Best case scenario is a tag and trade (after 2009).

On the bright side, his signing will only (if at all) make the Bills a more viable spot for other free agents going forward.

He is a bridge player. His year here will give Hardy and Steve Johnson who I don't believe you mentioned, one more year to develop their game, not to mention that if the Bills draft a wide receiver this year, it'll give that player a year extra to develop without the burden of having to produce.

Finally the downside is nil. The Bills have not made the playoffs in 9 years. Even if he's a one-year shot in the arm, the risk-reward/cost-benefit make this a great move. They have nothing to lose.

Thought the article was silly. There is virtually no downside. So what if he's not here in 2010? Some of us won't be here either.

If we signed him to a 3 year deal, I'd be ticked. But, a 1 year deal folks...what's the worst that can happen?...we fail to make the playoffs?....

I think the reason I hate this deal so much is because we are being played. A one year TO signing at his age has little to no impact on the future of the Bills. Even if it works out well in 2009 we will be left holding our #@$#s thereafter. And worst of all, it could be just enough to keep Dick "7and9" Jauron from getting the firing he deserves.

A good team is BUILT with good players and management - not by the marketing department.

I guess I have already let people here know, I am not crazy about this deal either. It is not so much that I don't think Owens will have a positive impact on our dismal offense in 2009, but like the Tony says in his article, it doesn't ensure the Bills of a playoff spot (though they can still add more FA which could change that some), and it really doesn't address things beyond 2009. If TO is horrible, or is a pain in the ass, it doesn't do much, and if he has a stellar season, can you really envision him re-signing with the Bills in 2010?

One thing I do like about the deal (and I am really trying to feel good about this thing), is something I heard Jerry Sullivan say on the radio. In essence, he said, "if the worst thing that can happen does happen, and TO starts his locker room antics, it will shine a light on this franchise. If someone isn't doing everything they can to help the team win, TO will point it out...." Sullivan seems to think shaking things up a little at One Bills Drive could use a little controversy.

Personally, to me, a bold move, would have been prying Anquan Boldin away from the Cardinals. I seriously think he could be had by someone. Maybe he is not as valuable as TO was in his prime, but right now, he is better, and has more time left in the leauge. Bringing in Boldin, and signing him to a four or five year deal would have me stoked...

All in all, like everyone has said, I am glad the Bills did something! And I have been as hard as anyone on Ralph Wilson for being a tight wad. So, I tip my hat to the old man. This was a nice surprise... whatever the reason it came about (deperation? feeling the heat of criticism from his own, in his HOF year?) I applaud him for this.

Personally, to me, a bold move, would have been prying Anquan Boldin away from the Cardinals. I seriously think he could be had by someone. Maybe he is not as valuable as TO was in his prime, but right now, he is better, and has more time left in the leauge. Bringing in Boldin, and signing him to a four or five year deal would have me stoked...

NFL observers all agree that if it took the Dallas Cowboys a 1st, a 3rd, and a 5th to get Roy Williams from Detroit, it would take at least a 1st and a 3rd to get Boldin from Arizona.

So you're saying you'd rather give up a 1st and a 3rd for Boldin than sign Owens for zero compensation? No way.

And if Owens is the ticking time bomb that many believe him to be, why would anyone want to sign him to a long term deal?

One year is the best arrangement. If we can franchise him after 2009, so much the better. We could then sign him for another year or two and/or tag and trade him.

It seems very clear to me that the conditions of Owens' arrival here could not be more ideal, except if he was three years younger.

NFL observers all agree that if it took the Dallas Cowboys a 1st, a 3rd, and a 5th to get Roy Williams from Detroit, it would take at least a 1st and a 3rd to get Boldin from Arizona.

So you're saying you'd rather give up a 1st and a 3rd for Boldin than sign Owens for zero compensation? No way.

And if Owens is the ticking time bomb that many believe him to be, why would anyone want to sign him to a long term deal?

One year is the best arrangement. If we can franchise him after 2009, so much the better. We could then sign him for another year or two and/or tag and trade him.

It seems very clear to me that the conditions of Owens' arrival here could not be more ideal, except if he was three years younger.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Boldin would be, IMO, more valuable to this teams futre, than TO will be.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Boldin would be, IMO, more valuable to this teams futre, than TO will be.

He certainly would be more valuable, for a longer time, at least. But, IMO, this team can't afford to spend two high-round picks, this year, on a WR.

BTW, Boldin seems to have his share of issues, too.

It seems to me all the doubts here are woulda coulda shoulda maybes about him melting down splitting the locker room and being a player in decline. To me the 1 year deal actually minimizes a lot of these negatives as worse comes to worse you walk away or cut the idiot at no future cap cost and a cap cost this year easily dealt with.

I think he will meltdown but probably not until next year. I do not think he will split the lockeroom or the fanbase as it is going to take him at least a year to build any friendships and loyalty. I agree he is in decline but the sad thing is that even in decline he way better than any number #2 WR we have or can have on this roster.

If the worse case is he is a stud and we need to decide whether to tag him next off-season this will be a nice problem to have. TO does not fill many gaps the Bills have or could improve but his cap level allows us to do this and his presence should attract players who want to win. Life is not guaranteed but I see no issues here that cannot be handled by 1 year deal.