Random thought for the day

BuffaloBill

It drives me batshit crazy when people incorrectly use dominant (adjective) and dominate (verb). Larry Fitzgerald is not a dominate WR.

Although he does tend to dominate which makes him dominant or maybe a dominatrix off the field.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My random thought is a pet peeve: People Who Refuse To Consider A Hypothetical Situation.

Do you ever get this? You're having a conversation with someone and you say, for example, "what would you do if you broke both your arms at the same time--how would you brush your teeth, dress, wipe, etc...?"

And the other person just says, "that'll never happen." So you say, "I know, I'm just saying WHAT IF..." Then the other person goes, "that won't happen because I never get hurt. I'm very durable and well coordinated--I never get injured." And you go, "I realize it's very unlikely but it is logically and physically possible and I'm asking you to consider this hypothetical scenario for the purpose of discussion because it is interesting to me..." And the other person refuses once again to consider it even as a possibility and they go on to discuss their athletic prowess and how in high school they played sports or something and never got hurt and they're so great, blah blah blah.

People who do this make me angry.

Break both his arms and then ask him.

Humor appreciation row: :D:lol::w00t:

For commenting on hot chicks: :D:D:( (last one for Steely Dan's entries)

And finally, a watching Dick Jauron coach row: :bag::lol::lol:

Link

If I have a random thought just how random is it actually?

If you have a thought just how amazing is that?

Can anyone help me with some dream symbolism? Last night I dreamed that I got kicked in the stomach by a billy goat. What might this reveal about my psyche? I suspect that it is not good.

The billy goat represents everyone who knows you and the rest is pretty much self explanatory.

I absolutely HATE supposably... to the point of violence... VIOLENCE I tell ya. :lol:

A couple years ago I always used to "jump the pump" when I was filling up my tank (aka: squeezing the nozzle to get your purchased price from $19.67 to an even $20.00). Now that I'm in my late 30's it doesn't bug me anymore and wherever it stops, it stops and I'm done.

In the age of credit card gas pumps it's no longer necessary. Because I'm an old fart I find myself still doing it sometimes.

So if you're driving along at the speed of light and you turn your headlights on, what happens?

This biotch is exactly what pisses gringo off.

This answers the question

It depends on how one expresses it, and to whose intuition one appeals. For example, it does seem counter-intuitive that the speed of light does not depend on the motion of the observer. In our animation, Zoe turns on the headlights of her space ship. She measures the speed of light from her headlights as c with respect to her. Jasper sees her travelling towards him at (let's say) v. He measures the speed of light from her headlights as c. No, not c+v, but just c. Surely this is counter-intuitive? Maybe even crazy? Surely relative speeds add up? Let's consider first two more familiar cases.

cartoon of vehicle plus arrow or plus sound

Again, Zoe travels towards Jasper at speed v.

* First, suppose that, instead of light, Zoe fires an arrow from her car at speed u, as she measures it. Jasper will measure its speed as v+u, as predicted by Galilean relativity.

* Alternatively, if she sounds the horn, the sound will travel forward with a speed vsound with respect to the air that is the medium for the sound wave. In the absence of wind, Jasper will measure the sound to be travelling at vsound, and Zoe will measure its speed relative to her as vsound−v, again as specified by Galilean relativity.

It is tempting to extrapolate one or other of these results to light: if light is like little arrows, Jasper should measure v+c. If light is like sound, and if its medium is stationary with respect to Jasper, than Zoe should measure its speed as c−v. (We discuss the possibility of a medium for light later.) If we are really careful in our thinking, however, we should also say that light may be neither like arrows nor like sound.

That explains it in easily understood language.

Definitely Natalie... I like me wimmins like that. :lol: Not all waiflike and fraglie...

Who's that broad? I think I would give her "the treatment" as well.

I can't stand the super thin anorexic look. :lol:

The second broad is a chick who came up when I typed "Shhh" into Google images. I have no idea but I agree with you! :lol:

This answers the question

It depends on how one expresses it, and to whose intuition one appeals. For example, it does seem counter-intuitive that the speed of light does not depend on the motion of the observer. In our animation, Zoe turns on the headlights of her space ship. She measures the speed of light from her headlights as c with respect to her. Jasper sees her travelling towards him at (let's say) v. He measures the speed of light from her headlights as c. No, not c+v, but just c. Surely this is counter-intuitive? Maybe even crazy? Surely relative speeds add up? Let's consider first two more familiar cases.

cartoon of vehicle plus arrow or plus sound

Again, Zoe travels towards Jasper at speed v.

* First, suppose that, instead of light, Zoe fires an arrow from her car at speed u, as she measures it. Jasper will measure its speed as v+u, as predicted by Galilean relativity.

* Alternatively, if she sounds the horn, the sound will travel forward with a speed vsound with respect to the air that is the medium for the sound wave. In the absence of wind, Jasper will measure the sound to be travelling at vsound, and Zoe will measure its speed relative to her as vsound−v, again as specified by Galilean relativity.

It is tempting to extrapolate one or other of these results to light: if light is like little arrows, Jasper should measure v+c. If light is like sound, and if its medium is stationary with respect to Jasper, than Zoe should measure its speed as c−v. (We discuss the possibility of a medium for light later.) If we are really careful in our thinking, however, we should also say that light may be neither like arrows nor like sound.

That explains it in easily understood language.

"If we are really careful in our thinking, however, we should also say that light may be neither like arrows nor like sound?"

That guy sounds like an idiot. Who are Zoe & Jasper, anyway? She shouldn't be shooting arrows and playing trumpet while driving that fast.

:lol:

Yes I can!!! :lol:

Jesus, I kept waiting for the pay-off on that video... good God Steely what is WRONG with you?

(Jesus when he was a kid before I started seein' dead people he sure did have some choppers didn't he? Looked like he had tombstone teeth! Like he had a graveyard just chillin in his mouth! :lol:

"If we are really careful in our thinking, however, we should also say that light may be neither like arrows nor like sound?"

That guy sounds like an idiot. Who are Zoe & Jasper, anyway? She shouldn't be shooting arrows and playing trumpet while driving that fast.

& WTF does a spaceship need headlights? Whatchagonnado run into a martian?

Jesus, I kept waiting for the pay-off on that video... good God Steely what is WRONG with you?

(Jesus when he was a kid before I started seein' dead people he sure did have some choppers didn't he? Looked like he had tombstone teeth! Like he had a graveyard just chillin in his mouth! :D

I have a sick, sick sense of humor but don't try to deny you laughed hysterically at the end of that! :lol::lol::lol:

This reminds me of the recent Head & Shoulders man radio commercials and their "random thoughts".

So, I'll steal one from there:

Why are female cable TV news reporters so hot?

and:

Why do hot dogs come in packages of 10 and hot dog buns in packages of 8? (that one is from Animaniacs)

Why do hot dogs come in packages of 10 and hot dog buns in packages of 8? (that one is from Animaniacs)

According to the old HBO show "Not Necessarily the News" and host Rich Hall, when you have that ratio, you have "Excess wienerage, as opposed to excess bunnerage." :lol:

Somehow, I wish I hadn't posted that now... :blink: