Jabari signs with Saints

Simon

Meh. Should've just paid Nate in the first place instead of giving his $ to Dockery.... then Jabari would still be Jabroni & no one would care if he left. :nana:

For a minor player though, he did make a few nice plays... right up there with Brandon Spoon. :wallbash:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Greer as a player and person but he was the one that decided to leave....the Bills had offered him right around those numbers. I think these guys' agents see some of the deals and really think all of their clients are going to get 3 years 45M like in Oakland. Was it really worth leaving Buffalo for about 400-500k more a year.....if guys really want to stay they stay and negotiate those types of things in to make up the difference.

$500,000 per year is a ton of money, no matter how much these guys make. The average person on this board might make $500,000 in ten years. And over four years, that's $2,000,000 more. Let that set in. Two million dollars. People like us get jaded by all these big contracts, and all we see is numbers listed in a news article. These guys see it on their bank statements. $500k is a ton of dough and foolish to pass up.

All of that aside - Jabari Greer is one of the good guys, and I'm really happy for him. Worked his tail off, made it against tough odds, gave us two solid years as a starter. In case no one's posted it yet, he had some nice things to say on the way out.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-6-21/...ew-Orleans.html

Yeah, we replaced our best coverman with a nickel corner. And the fact that we even had to replace him is the problem. It would be nice if the Bills instead of moving laterally (or in this case backwards) actually kept their own players and made additions to the team.

Dude, it's the Bills. You've been around this block how many times now? :wallbash:

Dude, it's the Bills. You've been around this block how many times now? :wallbash:

You simply can't take a guy 11th overall and not start him the next year. It's neither fiscally nor psychologically repsonsible. McKelvin had to know that the Bills are confident in his abilities and McGee, despite his injury, is still a better overall football player than Greer.

Dockery was obviously a mistake. I applaud the Bills for cutting ties, despite the flubbed trade, and admitting error.

McKelvin, however, is too young and too impressionable and too valuable not to invest in for the long haul....which in B-lo is 3 years from now when we don't re-sign him and he leaves for greener pastures.

You simply can't take a guy 11th overall and not start him the next year. It's neither fiscally nor psychologically repsonsible. McKelvin had to know that the Bills are confident in his abilities and McGee, despite his injury, is still a better overall football player than Greer.

Dockery was obviously a mistake. I applaud the Bills for cutting ties, despite the flubbed trade, and admitting error.

McKelvin, however, is too young and too impressionable and too valuable not to invest in for the long haul....which in B-lo is 3 years from now when we don't re-sign him and he leaves for greener pastures.

McKelvin didn't start last year because he is a moron.

If you want to win, you put the best football players on the field. You know, like Bill Belichick or Bill Parcells do? Not the highest paid, runs fast in his underwear guy that might be good if he can pull his head out often enough.

If you want to win, you put the best football players on the field. You know, like Bill Belichick or Bill Parcells do? Not the highest paid, runs fast in his underwear guy that might be good if he can pull his head out often enough.

In two years Leo will have made you forget all about the artist formerly known as Greer. Put it in your siggy. The bills didn't miss on him.

He may not be better than Jabari now, but he's better than him at this point in his career.

BTW, just because a rookie doesn't speak with your tempo, accent or vocabulary, it doesn't make him unintelligent. I'd like to see you discect that playbook.

Right. Perhaps that's why Fred Jackson couldn't get on the field either when the Bills continued to trot out Anthony Thomas.

Coaching decisions have nothing to do with playing time.

In two years Leo will have made you forget all about the artist formerly known as Greer. Put it in your siggy. The bills didn't miss on him.

He may not be better than Jabari now, but he's better than him at this point in his career.

BTW, just because a rookie doesn't speak with your tempo, accent or vocabulary, it doesn't make him unintelligent. I'd like to see you discect that playbook.

The Bills defense has 3 plays.

Signed,

Chad Pennington, Kurt Warner, Jay Cutler, others

Yeah, we replaced our best coverman with a nickel corner. And the fact that we even had to replace him is the problem. It would be nice if the Bills instead of moving laterally (or in this case backwards) actually kept their own players and made additions to the team.

good thing we let him go, it's important that we run this team 30 million below the salary cap with a bunch of average players

After watching McGee spend the last two years constantly being turned around while Greer spent every down in his opponent's pocket, any statistic that claims McGee was the better corner is hogwash.

Considering that Greer is quicker, smarter, plays with better technique and executes with far more focus than Drayton ever will, I agree it wouldn't have been close.

My homework? Are you kidding me?

Here's some homework for you: Compare and contrast that Chargers front7 with the Bills current front7 and describe how any disparity will effect corners in the past, present and future.

And when Bills opponents are holding the ball for 38:00 a game and racking up first downs at will because we can't cover anybody inside 12 yards, then come back and tell me how wise the Bills front office was to replace a tight focused player like Greer with a loose brainfart like Florence just so they could maintain their 25million dollar cushion from the salary cap.

Greer is gone in another bonehead move by the inner circle of squares (I'm copyrighting that one). It would be one thing if he was getting 8 million a year, but at under 6/year, he should have been resigned for sure.

Unfortunate truths:

1. He was easily the best corner on the team last year. Just because McGee is #1 on the madden 09 depth chart doesn't mean squat. I don't know how anyone can think otherwise if you watched the games...he played some of the best defense I've seen a corner play on this team in a long time.

2. He was not always "covering the other team's #2 receiver". The Bills defensive scheme (don't laugh) doesn't work that way. He lined up against the top receiver on the other team just as often as McGee.

3. McGee will walk next year...no way they will be able to sign him for what Greer got from the Saints. McGee has the notoriety and is a good kick returner, while Greer is still a relative unknown (not for long though).

4. The Bills know all of this and have been preparing to lose Greer and McGee in consecutive years anyway. They are happy with McKelvin/Youboty/Florence/Corner. Guess it could work out...the top 2 are good players also.

5. God, I hate this f'ing team sometimes.

Anyway, good luck to Jabari...the guy was a class act and a really good player the time he was here. The saints got a steal, IMHO.

It is refreshing to see someone else who sees this as a backwards move.

Jabari is much better than Florence. Hence, the Bills just got worse.

I've seen this for so many years I've become numb to the rationalizations of the front office and the "fans".

Some of you are missing an important point. You say "we've got Greer's replacement in McKelvin". Maybe we do, BUT, if we had signed (extended) our own guy LAST year, whom we knew was damn good, we wouldn't have had to spend the top pick last year on McKelvin. We could have extended Greer, AND added another top player to our woefullly thin team at another position of need, instead of taking still another corner in round #1. Simon is right: we let another of our young talent walk for nothing. Good luck Jabari, you're a class act......

Ive been saying the same thing. It made more sense to invest in Greer this year and let Mcgee , who is older, go next year, which may be an uncapped year.

Bills CB's since 06:

Clements-left in UFA 07

McGee-contract up after 09

Greer-left in UFA 09

Webster-UFA 07

McKelvin-1st round 08

K. Thomas-UFA 06, released before 08

Youboty-3rd round 06

Corner-4th round 07

W. James-UFA 08, released

Florence-UFA 09

Fox-Street FA 07

Bills safeties since 06

Leonhard-UDFA 05

Vincent-UFA 04; released early 06

Whitner-1st round 06

Simpson-4th round 06

Bowen-UFA 06

Scott-Street FA 07

Wilson-UDFA 05

Wendling-6th round 07

Cox-7th round 08; released

That's 20 guys who have or will line up at safety or cornerback for this franchise in 4 seasons. I can't imagine what it'd be like if that much attention went to the DL or OL.

The mismanagement of the secondary demonstrates a serious issue with personnel. I'm not surprised, given that the front office has remained relatively the same for many years.

I completely agree. Let's say this team had a general policy of holding onto its own best players for their useful careers. With that policy in place, we hold onto both McGee and Greer. With that policy in place, we don't use a first round pick on McKelvin in the 2008 draft. That first round pick could have gone toward building the team at some other position, instead of treading water at CB.

As things stand, there's a chance we'll lose McGee once the 2009 season is done, thereby "necessitating" the use of a first round pick for his replacement. If that happens, it would be an outright disaster for this franchise. You can't keep kissing your first round picks goodbye, on first contract and out positions (such as CB), and expect to build a solid core of first rate players.

Terrence McGee just hit the jackpot. Hes in a much stronger negotiating position after this season with Greer leaving.

I tend to agree with these and hope I am wrong, Flo is average at best .JG underdog blue collar hard working student of the position and the game. Having 3 good CBs and putting one at nickel is good! We have the $ and should have kept him.

It also says A LOT to the rest of the FAs around the league about our FO and is a bad thing. We are not NE and can not AFFORD to screw around like we are.

Most of the time you only play 2 CB's, and investing a ton of money into 3 of them isn't a great way of doing business. Youboty played very well when he was nickel, and Florence figures to have locked up the dime spot.

Are you kidding? With all the 3 and 4 WR sets out there, I would guess that your 3rd CB is on the field a lot more than you want to believe.

Right. Perhaps that's why Fred Jackson couldn't get on the field either when the Bills continued to trot out Anthony Thomas.

Coaching decisions have nothing to do with playing time.

Make sure you remember this process when you consider that the coach has had the final say on all personnel decisions in the last 3 yrs.

Bills CB's since 06:

Clements-left in UFA 07

McGee-contract up after 09

Greer-left in UFA 09

Webster-UFA 07

McKelvin-1st round 08

K. Thomas-UFA 06, released before 08

Youboty-3rd round 06

Corner-4th round 07

W. James-UFA 08, released

Florence-UFA 09

Fox-Street FA 07

Bills safeties since 06

Leonhard-UDFA 05

Vincent-UFA 04; released early 06

Whitner-1st round 06

Simpson-4th round 06

Bowen-UFA 06

Scott-Street FA 07

Wilson-UDFA 05

Wendling-6th round 07

Cox-7th round 08; released

That's 20 guys who have or will line up at safety or cornerback for this franchise in 4 seasons. I can't imagine what it'd be like if that much attention went to the DL or OL.

The mismanagement of the secondary demonstrates a serious issue with personnel. I'm not surprised, given that the front office has remained relatively the same for many years.

In all honesty you could do the same thing with any team and make the same point. The scrubs you bring in and try out and ultimately release don't make or break the team. If you get consistent production from your starters and immediate backups (i.e. nickelbacks) then you're doing alright. I think Buffalo is on the right path here, and I certainly wasn't saying that at this time last year or the year before, or the year before that...

Are you kidding? With all the 3 and 4 WR sets out there, I would guess that your 3rd CB is on the field a lot more than you want to believe.

He's right. You can't spend $6M/year on a nickelback, not with the salary cap. Why do you think NE let Randall Gay go to NO??

He's right. You can't spend $6M/year on a nickelback, not with the salary cap. Why do you think NE let Randall Gay go to NO??

Who are we saving that money for anyway ? Not like we have prized free agents being brought in or traded for, in the last few days. Greer was a known devil to us. McKelvin has shown flashes but can we really trust the job to him full time without proven backup ? Florence to me is an unknown. He could have been a bad fit at Jax but it is equally likely he has run out of steam for good. Point is - for $6 MM/yr (when we have a lot of money left under the cap), we have let go a proven starter and acquired a questionable one. Heck, Greer may have given the Bills a hometown discount too so the differential between his cap hit and Florence's may not have been too hard to swallow. There is a lot of merit to retaining our own ones who have worked hard and done well for the team.

I re-iterate as I am a bit frustrated by the annual 'we cannot afford to keep our high performer and we cannot afford to get that good FA 'cos he is too expensive' line. What are we saving this money for ? Yet another disappointing year ? For a marketing campaign ?

Who are we saving that money for anyway ? Not like we have prized free agents being brought in or traded for, in the last few days. Greer was a known devil to us. McKelvin has shown flashes but can we really trust the job to him full time without proven backup ? Florence to me is an unknown. He could have been a bad fit at Jax but it is equally likely he has run out of steam for good. Point is - for $6 MM/yr (when we have a lot of money left under the cap), we have let go a proven starter and acquired a questionable one. Heck, Greer may have given the Bills a hometown discount too so the differential between his cap hit and Florence's may not have been too hard to swallow. There is a lot of merit to retaining our own ones who have worked hard and done well for the team.

I re-iterate as I am a bit frustrated by the annual 'we cannot afford to keep our high performer and we cannot afford to get that good FA 'cos he is too expensive' line. What are we saving this money for ? Yet another disappointing year ? For a marketing campaign ?

You don't just spend money for the sake of spending it, that's retarded. Greer had two interceptions last year people. He wasn't Champ Bailey. When McGee comes up for a new contract we're going to have to pay him - we couldn't afford to pay three starting CB's salaries, hence the purpose of the salary cap. That extra money will go towards Jason Peters (ugh), upcoming draft picks, and any other free agents worth the $$. Greer reportedly (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/597816.html) signed for $23M over four years (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-6-21/Greer-thanks-Buffalo-on-his-way-to-New-Orleans.html). The consensus is that McGee is the better corner, although if the FO really thought Jabari was starting material in this league we should have matched it and shopped McGee. But throwing money at the nickelback is the kind of move that gets us back in salary cap hell. There is a difference between being cheap and being prudent. This was the latter.

Make sure you remember this process when you consider that the coach has had the final say on all personnel decisions in the last 3 yrs.

Last year, in our "playoff run", they couldn't afford to get McKelvin out on the field. He might make a mistake. So, they played guys that were hobbled and lost games anyway.

Everyone knows McKelvin has talent, but he himself even admitted that he just wasn't getting it and wasn't ready. You can blame the coaches if you want as well -- perhaps they really do not know how to design a defense around a guy with limited reps. However, it took at injury to get him on the field. It wasn't the 1st round pick status or the idea that they needed to work him in on snaps to prepare for the team's future because Greer was a UFA. No, that would smack of actual planning. It took Greer getting hurt and being unable to go to get McKelvin on the field in the defense.

Anyway you want to slice it, McKelvin is yet another unproven guy the Bills hope can fill a hole. I also am hopeful that he can, but I realize he hasn't shown a penchant for disciplined play. Yet again, the Bills let talent leave, so one of the few positions with some depth on the roster becomes threadbare.

At least they saved a few bucks.