For all of you who want Jason Peters RESIGNED

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I know many of you consider this following fact a joke because you're all better at evaluating offensive linemen than the Bills are but here goes:

There have been 14 offensive tackles who've played in either of the last two Pro Bowls.

Jason Peters is one of only 4 OTs to play in both."

If it's a joke why is Peters one of the 4 out of 14 to play in the last two Pro Bowls?

I already know you're going to call the Pro Bowl voting a joke.

It's one third each for fans, coaches, and players. You can argue that the players' vote is meaningless. You can argue that the coaches' voting is meaningless. But the fan voting? That's the most meaningless of all.

Like it or not, he's gotten high honors from players and coaches.

I'm gonna go ahead and trust their evaluations over yours.

Well, I see very few Bills' games. But were I competing club, I'd drop down and plant a hard hit to his ribs while he sticks those arms out.

Do you really feel jason peters is worth 11.5 mil a year? Im sorry I don think hes worth that much. JAke Long as a rookie was 10 times better than he was. I wouldn pay him more than dockery was paid 8 mil a year dont even think hes worth that much either.

What seems right is an extension that pays Peters top 5 or 10 money with "guaranteed money" being tied to not holding out, etc. in future years. He's a good player (probowl alternate) and it would be great to have him here beyond 2-3 years. But if Peters' agent really demands a ripped up contract and top dollar, then the Bills should hold tight for two more years, perhaps a franchise year after that, and 3 years from now they can spend their $60M on whatever is needed at that time.

Plain and simple, the Bills have Peters by the Balls for the next 2 years. If I am the bills I put a good offer out there maybe 6yrs 53 million (17 guaranteed), and let him sit on it. he can hold out and play under his current salary again, or be smart and sign the deal. if I;m peters, its going to be real tough to pass on the money and signing bonus for 2 whole years.

Bottom line is either which way, he'll never have to work again in his life. Thank You Jim McNally

According to the original post, he's not looking for 8M, he's looking to be the highest paid in the AFC, which would be around 11 or 12M. Yes his holdout is understandable, and I would think 8M is fair and he deserves it IMO. I know why he's holding out. If you read the original post, then read my post, you might understand my point.

Actually, reading your first post followed by this one makes the two seem contradictory. Right here, you're telling me that your point is that Peters doesn't deserve 11 or 12 million dollars per year. The piont in your original post is that Peters will never be satisfied no matter what the team pays him.

Those don't sound similar at all.

I'm with ya. :cry:

Pro Bowl LT's dont' grow on trees. They are very hard to find and next to QB are arguably the most important position on the team. With TE being brittle it's very important to keep a guy like Peters. Somebody above said some of his sacks can be blamed on Dockery and I think that's why Buffalo let him go. If the Bills manage to swing a trade for Waters people would be singing his praises again. Even if they get an average LG Peters will excel again. I'm willing to say that last year was an aberration and Peters will be back to old form this year.

I just hope his contract has significant bonus' for offseason participation at the Bills facility.

Who cares? Arizona showed that you can go with a cast off LT.

Noone is worth that much.

If this is in fact true, no it can't be true. C'mon is this April 1st already? How do you even ask that the Left Tackle that led the entire NFL in sacks allowed be paid the highest? That is like Losman telling the Jets or someone he wants to be paid as the highest QB in the league. I say F-Him and leave his contract the way it is. Either he shows up or he doesn't play for a couple more years. His contract now is what, only 2 years old? He is starting to sound like a fat Chad Johnson.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Jonathan Ogden, who will be a finalist for the Hall of Fame in another 3 years, "gave up" the most sacks in the NFL twice in his career. You'll notice the quotation marks, because anyone that has the first clue about statistics in the NFL knows that sacks "given up" isn't even an official stat. The NFL does not keep it, nor does the Elias Sports Bureau or the Dallas Morning News (the other two statistical authorities that cover Pro Football). So whatever number of sacks Peters supposedly "gave up" is an estimate from some guy who may or may not even watch football.

This entire thread is a joke. Pay your best players as they should be paid. Period.

"I know many of you consider this following fact a joke because you're all better at evaluating offensive linemen than the Bills are but here goes:

There have been 14 offensive tackles who've played in either of the last two Pro Bowls.

If it's a joke why is Peters one of the 4 out of 14 to play in the last two Pro Bowls?

It's one third each for fans, coaches, and players. You can argue that the players' vote is meaningless. You can argue that the coaches' voting is meaningless. But the fan voting? That's the most meaningless of all.

edit: He was voted to the last two Pro Bowls.

Pro bowls are not super bowls. Arizona got to the super bowl with one of our scrub cast offs. Pittsburgh won it without a pro bowl LT.

edit: He was voted to the last two Pro Bowls.

Actually, Peters has never played in a Pro Bowl. :cry:

"How much the Bills spend in free agency may come down to Jason Peters. Russ Brandon has exchanged proposals with Peters agent, Eugene Parker. According to a source, Parker has told the Bills he expects Peters to be paid as the AFC’s top offensive tackle. Miami’s Jake Long currently holds that distinction after the top pick of 2008 signed a 5-year, $57.5-million dollar deal with $30-million guaranteed. -FOX SPORTS"

Do you really feel jason peters is worth 11.5 mil a year? Im sorry I don think hes worth that much. JAke Long as a rookie was 10 times better than he was. I wouldn pay him more than dockery was paid 8 mil a year dont even think hes worth that much either.

But you tell me is he worth 11.5 mil in your opinion? :cry:

Based on what? Where do you just randomly get off saying things like that?

that wasn't me.

no, he was just telling you :cry:

$9 - $10 Million a year sounds about right. The only problem is the stupid Jake Long contract. I find it almost unconscienable to sign an unproved player that amount. But as I have said before, you have to pay to play.

This league pays not based on merit or reward, but on potential.

It would be hard for him to pass up on that deal. But his agent is a hard ass. Hopefully we get it done.

Well, I'm for signing him. Unless somehow we can trade him and get someone who's almost as good for a lot less...

It bothers me how he was treated compared to Schobel and it bothers me how Crowell was treated compared to Schobel and Denney when he was injured

The team is sending out bad signals to the players

Well, I'm for signing him. Unless somehow we can trade him and get someone who's almost as good for a lot less...

It bothers me how he was treated compared to Schobel and it bothers me how Crowell was treated compared to Schobel and Denney when he was injured

The team is sending out bad signals to the players

probably a racial thing

I think Buffalo handled it just like they should have. They sent a clear a message that holding out will not get you a new contract that year. They also realized that his pay is far away from what it should be and are taking care of that now.

That's a great way to attract FA's. They see the best player on the Bills being effed with and say; "Man, I want to play there!!" :rolleyes:

BTW, I'm glad to see that you are smarter than the Pro-Bowl voters. You should apply for a job in the Bills scouting dept. :cry:

Jason Peters Tackle 7/15/2006: Signed a five-year, $15 million contract. The deal included $5.75 million in first-year bonuses. 2009: $2.95 million, 2010: $3.4 million, 2011: Free Agent

Matt Light Tackle 10/5/2004: Signed a six-year, $27.3 million contract. The deal includes $9 million in bonuses. 2009: $4.25 million, 2010: $4.5 million, 2011: Free Agent

Orlando Pace Tackle 3/16/2005: Signed a seven-year, $52.9 million contract. The deal included a $15 million signing bonus. 2009: $5.975 million, 2010: $7.175 million, 2011: $8.375 million, 2012: Free Agent. Cap charge: $9 million (2009).

Joe Thomas Tackle 7/26/2007: Signed a five-year, $42.5 million contract. The deal contains $23 million guaranteed, including a $12.8 million signing bonus and a $3 million roster bonus in the second year. 2009: $1 million (+ $3.44 million roster bonus), 2010: $4.7 million, 2011: $8 million, 2012: $2.23 million (Voidable Year), 2013: Free Agent

Food for thought.

If you think Peters deserved the Pro Bowl bid this past year you're a) an idiot, and/or b) didn't watch any games this season. He was awful. He watched people go by him, and those blaming it on Dockery's poor play since his release are just fools. Do you remember when Ruben Brown was voted in years after he was any good?? It happens all the time with linemen. You're a complete joke.

That being said, I do think he deserves to be paid more than he is actually being paid. But not $11-12M/year. Joe Thomas got an absurd contract because he was the #3 overall pick. Peters is no Orlando Pace, I'm sorry. Pace almost won the Heisman at left tackle. And I think Matt Light was the better tackle last year, although I think Peters deserves what Light makes and then some. But "some" isn't an extra $6M/year.

That's a great way to attract FA's. They see the best player on the Bills being effed with and say; "Man, I want to play there!!" :cry:

Exactly - team does not need to get the reputation that it will not pay fair market value for top players.

If you think Peters deserved the Pro Bowl bid this past year you're a) an idiot, and/or b) didn't watch any games this season. He was awful. He watched people go by him, and those blaming it on Dockery's poor play since his release are just fools. Do you remember when Ruben Brown was voted in years after he was any good?? It happens all the time with linemen.

What qualifies you to make this assessment and argument? Have you read anywhere that anyone in the NFL objected to Peters being selected to the probowl? More importantly, have you heard anything from a knowledgeable source (not people screaming on this board) that Peters is anything less than an elite, and maybe the best LT in the league?

I suppose your vantage point when watching each and every game this season a) was supported by knowledge of the line calls b) provided footage on Peters in isolation and c) allowed you to slow down the video to see if Peters was out of position or in fact played poorly.

I guess the Bills should hire you to assess talent. You seem to know more than they do.