3 of the men lost at sea?

Fingon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know all the details of this - but were the weather conditions that day bad enough that they shouldn't have gone? I assume it is the captain's responsibility to check the weather and make sure everything is safe - is it common for these kind of charters for the owners/captains to take chances? (we go to the coast a lot, and I have gone on a few onshore charters - but I am always wary of the ones that go way out just because of something like this...)

It was a 21 ft center console fishing boat owned by one of the players. the most experienced boater was the player who didnt own the boat. weather was nice when they left, but turned bad during the evening

way too small a boat for those conditions, that far out at sea, with 4 people in it. Bad judgement. This comes from a fellow fisherman. Very sad news. Well the silver lining was one person was saved

Thanks for the clarification .... thoughts and prayers go out for the families of those who were lost.

They were, according to the guy who was rescued.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090302/SPOR...linging+to+side

That is good!!

And like the fellas above you, they had good questions about the vessel and the equipment... No way do I go 50 miles off-shore in a 21' vessel! And if I did... I would have an EPIRB or a man overboard system... Or one of these:

CrewSaver

Not exactly chump change to gear your rig in this manner... But, these guys are loaded and could afford to not take as much of a risk.

Now... I am not sure... They may have been closer, but a that is a near-shore vessel that some are reporting was 50... YES 50 MILES OUT. Maybe they didn't know the "1/3 Rule" for fuel usage:

"1/3 out, 1/3 back, and 1/3 in reserve."

They could have been in deep doo-doo if something happened and they only had one motor.

Anyway... Sad... Yet, I would like to know all the facts. ??

Also marine band two-way radio?

Also, an Emergency Position Indicating Radiobeacon, or EPIRB

Betcha this could have been avoided. Makes it doubly sad.

Unfortunately people don't realize the amount of trouble their in until some serious sh-t hits the fan.

?

How many people do you think an average 21' vessel is rated for... About 10 maybe and that is extremley pushing it... Now take into consideration these were your average 180 pound persons... They were football players... So the weight limit could have been appoaching the vessel capacity... Even if it was rated for 10 people or so.

The point is, it is bad karma and to wander far off-shore... I hate when people make fatal errors in judgement like this! It is a real shame.

Unfortunately people don't realize the amount of trouble their in until some serious sh-t hits the fan.

That's the beauty of some EPIRB's, the class I ones I believe are automatic. They send out a distress signal with location immediately. My brother has one and I think he paid about $300, maybe a bit more.

How many people do you think an average 21' vessel is rated for... About 10 maybe and that is extremley pushing it... Now take into consideration these were your average 180 pound persons... They were football players... So the weight limit could have been appoaching the vessel capacity... Even if it was rated for 10 people or so.

The point is, it is bad karma and to wander far off-shore... I hate when people make fatal errors in judgement like this! It is a real shame.

I highly doubt they were pushing the weight limit with four of them.

They might have done something stupid and tied the anchor off at the stern though.

EXACTLY! People hit the water like they are taking I-80 to Cali... Then they get 13 miles or so out (horizon line) and bing they think their cell phone will work... :unsure::w00t:

Even know we are a very interconnected world, the water is still very much like the Donner party heading over the Sierra's... :D

Amazing that they found one of them alive. That's almost a miracle.

As for the rest, any word on if they were wearing life jackets? I presume the Gulf waters are warm enough to survive in for a couple days if they wore life vests and were able to get through the storm.

They might have done something stupid and tied the anchor off at the stern though.

Or not had enough anchor "scope." The line for the anchor depending upon conditions can be recommended to be 7 times the depth of the water. In big swells and heavy chop you might not want to be anchored at all.

Maybe... Now factor in fast turning seas. That motor on a 21' vessel could have been easily swamped. Now you have 4 guys, far from shore (hope they at least had off-shore vests which would give them a fighting chance) in rough seas.

They would have been better off setting off in the life raft than a 21' vessel. Really!