Miami Herald on Coles

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

... The Jets will likely be better on defense next season. And the Dolphins have to get better on offense to match the moves.

But does adding receiver Laveranues Coles do the trick? I don't think so. Not at his current price, anyway.

The local infatuation with Coles is good radio talk fodder. It's good blog escape. And it's one more thing: Ridiculous.

If this was 2004 instead of 2009, I would understand the longing for Coles. But it is, indeed, 2009 and I predict Coles is shortly about to find out he is very much over-estimating his worth on the open market. Coles is reportedly looking for a contract that pays him at least $6 million per season.

The problem for him is most NFL teams will not pay a No. 2 or No. 3 wide receiver that kind of money this offseason. I think Coles got the first taste of that reality Friday when the Bills let him walk from their facility without a contract.

Coles, 31, used to run consistent 4.3s and sometimes break into the stunning 4.2 range when he was young. But he no longer has that explosive speed and that has shown for a while. Look at the tape of him against San Francisco last season when he simply could not get open.

Coles averaged about 14 yards per catch early in his career. Now he's an 11-12 yards per catch guy. That's what Greg Camarillo averaged last season. Coles is a possession guy now ...

... and one that is not ascending.

Is he tough? Yes. Is he courageous on the field and in staying out of the training room? Yes. Does he have good balance and athletic ability? Yes. Is he a willing blocker? Yes.

But none of that makes him a No. 1 receiver. And that makes his asking price absurd.

The Dolphins know this -- I hope. And so they are staying away. Reports of Coles being in Miami Thursday were wrong. He has not visited the team and, in fact, could not do so as an unrestricted free agent until Friday. And again, he was in Buffalo Friday.

But the Dolphins are watching and waiting, believing the price for Coles will drop and drop and drop. When he's in the more modest $3 million per year range, Miami's interest may, and I stress it is only may, become legitimate, assuming another team doesn't commit to the crazy money first.

But as long as Coles continues to think he commands $6 million per season, the Dolphins should not touch him regardless of how tight he is with quarterback Chad Pennington and despite the fact he was drafted by Bill Parcells nine years ago.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

... The Jets will likely be better on defense next season. And the Dolphins have to get better on offense to match the moves.

But does adding receiver Laveranues Coles do the trick? I don't think so. Not at his current price, anyway.

The local infatuation with Coles is good radio talk fodder. It's good blog escape. And it's one more thing: Ridiculous.

If this was 2004 instead of 2009, I would understand the longing for Coles. But it is, indeed, 2009 and I predict Coles is shortly about to find out he is very much over-estimating his worth on the open market. Coles is reportedly looking for a contract that pays him at least $6 million per season.

The problem for him is most NFL teams will not pay a No. 2 or No. 3 wide receiver that kind of money this offseason. I think Coles got the first taste of that reality Friday when the Bills let him walk from their facility without a contract.

Coles, 31, used to run consistent 4.3s and sometimes break into the stunning 4.2 range when he was young. But he no longer has that explosive speed and that has shown for a while. Look at the tape of him against San Francisco last season when he simply could not get open.

Coles averaged about 14 yards per catch early in his career. Now he's an 11-12 yards per catch guy. That's what Greg Camarillo averaged last season. Coles is a possession guy now ...

... and one that is not ascending.

Is he tough? Yes. Is he courageous on the field and in staying out of the training room? Yes. Does he have good balance and athletic ability? Yes. Is he a willing blocker? Yes.

But none of that makes him a No. 1 receiver. And that makes his asking price absurd.

The Dolphins know this -- I hope. And so they are staying away. Reports of Coles being in Miami Thursday were wrong. He has not visited the team and, in fact, could not do so as an unrestricted free agent until Friday. And again, he was in Buffalo Friday.

But the Dolphins are watching and waiting, believing the price for Coles will drop and drop and drop. When he's in the more modest $3 million per year range, Miami's interest may, and I stress it is only may, become legitimate, assuming another team doesn't commit to the crazy money first.

But as long as Coles continues to think he commands $6 million per season, the Dolphins should not touch him regardless of how tight he is with quarterback Chad Pennington and despite the fact he was drafted by Bill Parcells nine years ago.

It the kind of weapon we need to open the offense up. Boldin runs a 4.5 , I would take him too.

Good find. I agree with everything this writer said. I posted in another thread that I can not believe the prevailing thought on this message board has been to sign Coles ASAP -- as if he is priority #1 and the missing link. His estimated self-worth (>$6mil/yr), age (31), the fact that we have other glaring holes (LG) make it hard for me to stomach the thought of signing this guy for anything but a league minimum.

Just because he is someone you've "heard of" doesn't make him any better than the options we already have. We need to be proactive with Peters and get a LG.

Good find. I agree with everything this writer said. I posted in another thread that I can not believe the prevailing thought on this message board has been to sign Coles ASAP -- as if he is priority #1 and the missing link. His estimated self-worth (>$6mil/yr), age (31), the fact that we have other glaring holes (LG) make it hard for me to stomach the thought of signing this guy for anything but a league minimum.

Just because he is someone you've "heard of" doesn't make him any better than the options we already have. We need to be proactive with Peters and get a LG.

league minimum?? Coles would help the team a whole lot. I agree that people are mistaken though if they think he's a star.

What is his asking price? I haven't seen any numbers on it, and they don't say what it is. How can they claim it's absurd?

The YPC is in line with Gregg Camarillo (actually a yard less, but whatever). The TDs (7 vs. 2) are not.

He turned down $6mil in guaranteed money from the Jests. I would like to see him in Buffalo but not at stupid money.

I think the article is discounting him a little much due to the fact that it doesn't look like Miami is going to sign him.

I think you look at a guy like Derrick Mason in Baltimore. He's a smaller, quick, tough veteran receiver that is very valuable to them. Coles can certainly be productive and useful here.

I think the article is discounting him a little much due to the fact that it doesn't look like Miami is going to sign him.

I think you look at a guy like Derrick Mason in Baltimore. He's a smaller, quick, tough veteran receiver that is very valuable to them. Coles can certainly be productive and useful here.

Great point. Mason has certainly lost a step and is clearly not the player he once was, but even now he's a reliable, productive reciever for Baltimore.

Great point. Mason has certainly lost a step and is clearly not the player he once was, but even now he's a reliable, productive reciever for Baltimore.

Agreed. Great analogy Tim.

People have been writing Mason off for years, and he has provided his team/s stellar play, toughness, blocking and leadership well beyond Coles' age of 31.

Maybe he doesn't fit other teams need for a number 1, but for us, Coles would be a perfect number 2.

It the kind of weapon we need to open the offense up. Boldin runs a 4.5 , I would take him too.

Good idea. Should we "take" Adrian Peterson too? Perhaps Tom Brady. Yeah let's "take" Tom Brady too.

Those are all very good points.

But he may be better here (than at Miami) because of the constant double team that Evans attracts.

Exactly the point of the article. He's a number two receiver, not a number one receiver. As such he should be compensated as a number two receiver, not a number one receiver.

What is his asking price? I haven't seen any numbers on it, and they don't say what it is. How can they claim it's absurd?

The YPC is in line with Gregg Camarillo (actually a yard less, but whatever). The TDs (7 vs. 2) are not.

Do you know who Armando Salguero is? Have you ever heard of the Miami Herald? Here's a question, what did Laveranues Coles walk away from when the Jets gave him his freedom? He's asking for $6 million as stated in the article and numerous other reports. (sigh)

The point of the article is not that he won't be a helpful addition to some team. The point is that he's not worth the money he's asking.

I feel like it's deja vu all over again. Quinn Early.

That would have been the case if Bills signed Devery Henderson.

The main difference I see between Early & Coles, is that Early wasn't ever a good No.1 and definitely benefited from NO's system, while Coles has been an effective No. 1.

The hope is that if he comes, it will be more like Lewis to Butler and Lofton to Reed.

I think Coles would mean more for Buff than just the #s he contributes - paired with Evans, the offense could be a qualitatively different animal. I'm sure your FO pointed that out to him and I don't know why he isn't biting on it. It may well be the best situation Coles could hope to land in - he may be too dumb to understand it.

That would have been the case if Bills signed Devery Henderson.

The main difference I see between Early & Coles, is that Early wasn't ever a good No.1 and definitely benefited from NO's system, while Coles has been an effective No. 1.

The hope is that if he comes, it will be more like Lewis to Butler and Lofton to Reed.

Early had an excellent final season with the Saints - 80+ catches and something like 1100-1200 yards. He had 80 the year before too. When the Bills signed him, Kelly and Levy said that he had the ability to separate, which they needed - they were looking for the next Lofton as a number 2 next to Reed. When he got to the Bills, though, he was a slower player. They all get slower over time.

He is a much better match in Buffalo vice Miami, even inspite of the fact he wants to play with Pennington again. Miami is looking for a #1 reciever, where as Buffalo is looking for a #2, which is what Coles is at this point in his career.

Well the league minimum is a bit harsh, but otherwise I agree with everything you said. He's worth $3M/year to me for 2-3 years. Otherwise, let him walk. Again, it's not our fault he walked away from $6M in guaranteed money. He should fire his agent.