BILLS OFFERING MORE $ FOR COLES...(speculation)

Schefter doesn't seem all that interested in reporting on the Bills. Even when they finally got the story they questioned why the Bills would be interested in a WR. He mentioned Hardy being picked in the second round last year and the next sentence wondered if there was an injury with someone, clearly unaware that Hardy had blown out his ACL at the end of last year.

Additionally, he still hasn't seen fit to report the Hangartner signing in his blog, though Dan Orlovsky joining the Texans has made the cut.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how people on this board just throw things around like "well if he'll get us a few more touchdowns, do it!" You don't throw $6M a year at a veteran past him prime into a mix of young people for "a few touchdowns. C'mon, people. What is the excitement over this guy? Why so quick to discard two young talents like Hardy and S. Johnson after just one season?

Whats a bit frustrating to me is that they're considered the frontrunner, but I'm not even sure if they're the least bit interested in him! As far as we know to this point, the Dolphins' interest is just outside speculation. To my knowledge (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), there still has not been a single report that Miami has as much as placed a phone call. The Bills still may be running a one-horse race here.

As I said in another post, My money says he had a deal in place with Miami before he accepted to forego the $6M.

Schefter doesn't seem all that interested in reporting on the Bills. Even when they finally got the story they questioned why the Bills would be interested in a WR. He mentioned Hardy being picked in the second round last year and the next sentence wondered if there was an injury with someone, clearly unaware that Hardy had blown out his ACL at the end of last year.

Schefter is a league reporter, and his network like all others will cater to big name moves for obvious reasons. It may come as a shock to some Bills fans, but Buffalo doesn't make a lot of groundbreaking moves. And that's okay if they can win some games for the first time in a decade.

I'm sure few people really covered Atlanta much about a year ago, especially when Mike Smith was named HC. But they built the framework for a team that can win long term.

Besides, even Schefter can't know every move or player on 32 rosters. At this time of year, teams making the big moves will get plenty of coverage. And they'll be mocked in about 8 months for foolishly paying players they should not have.

Schefter is a league reporter, and his network like all others will cater to big name moves for obvious reasons. It may come as a shock to some Bills fans, but Buffalo doesn't make a lot of groundbreaking moves. And that's okay if they can win some games for the first time in a decade.

I'm sure few people really covered Atlanta much about a year ago, especially when Mike Smith was named HC. But they built the framework for a team that can win long term.

Besides, even Schefter can't know every move or player on 32 rosters. At this time of year, teams making the big moves will get plenty of coverage. And they'll be mocked in about 8 months for foolishly paying players they should not have.

Is it your belief that spending big money on an individual player in free agency is almost always a mistake?

I've said this a milllllllllllllion times on this board. The players get taxed on where the ACTUAL game is played. They get state income tax in now only 7 buffalo games and the rest are where the game is played.

I really don't think that, to these guys, that's much more money. And since the standard of living in Buffalo is so much cheaper than almost any other NFL city, they probably make that money back in the long run.

Lets put this issue to rest now.

For anyone interested in how athletes are taxed, here's a fairly informative article about "jock taxes."

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Taxes/P112872.asp

Seven states have no state income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. Two others, New Hampshire and Tennessee, tax only dividend and interest income (investments and bank accounts).

Among NFL teams the Tennessee Titans, Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Dallas Cowboys, Houston Texans, and Seattle Seahawks are all located in states with no state income tax.

NFL players who are residents of the above 7 states will pay no taxes on their income of course. They will however end up paying income taxes ("jock taxes") for away games in states with income taxes.

Basically players residing in certain states (Florida, Texas, etc) will end up paying taxes on only half their salaries. Players residing in the other 43 states will pay income taxes (even for away games) to their state of residency and if they play in an away game in a state with income taxes, they will probably pay double taxes on their income. To quote from the story:

"This is how it works. A pro athlete can be liable for taxes in two primary states, the state where the team is based and the state of residency. They can make it easier on themselves by living in a state without a personal income tax -- which is why so many pros live in Florida."

The mean average salary in the NFL is $1.8 million per year. If that player was a New York State resident he would pay about $138,600 in taxes for one year and probably more for states that tax out of state residents (double tax).

If he was a resident of Florida he would pay zero to Florida and some taxes to other states (assuming his 8 road games were in states with an income tax). Basically by living in Florida he would pay half as much in taxes or less as the player residing in New York.

For a big money free agent, say $7 million per year, the New York State taxes would be $539,000 (possibly double taxed in other states).

If he was a resident of Florida he would pay zero to Florida and roughly half the amount $269,500 for taxes in other states.

As I posted before this is not the only reason a player may choose to work somewhere other than Buffalo but it is probably part of the decision making process.

As for what the LynchTrain said, "I really don't think that, to these guys, that's much more money." I wouldn't presume to guess how someone else feels about his or her money.

I love how people on this board just throw things around like "well if he'll get us a few more touchdowns, do it!" You don't throw $6M a year at a veteran past him prime into a mix of young people

Good thing the Bills didn't sign Lofton in 1989.

I love how people on this board just throw things around like "well if he'll get us a few more touchdowns, do it!" You don't throw $6M a year at a veteran past him prime into a mix of young people for "a few touchdowns. C'mon, people. What is the excitement over this guy? Why so quick to discard two young talents like Hardy and S. Johnson after just one season?

No one is throwing Hardy or Johnson away

Hardy shown last year that he is not ready for the #2 role just yet, and with his injury last seasonhe is going to need time to get back into the game. A for Johnson, For crying out loud, the guy has played in 3 games in his 1 year career and made 10 catches, people nowthink we have the next Randy Moss in the 7th round pick

That sounds like the biggest load of sh-t i've heard in a while.

Where did you get this from? A Truck Driver from NY can drive all over the Country but he will still have to pay NY State Income Tax.

And here's a story to back it up. Maybe you should do a little research first before you dismiss things.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=209444

"Taxes. Some state and local governments believe that if we earn money in their jurisdictions, we should pay taxes there, too. So we pay something in almost every city in which we play. Six games at Fenway Park a season means paying state tax in Massachusetts and city tax to Boston. Of course, we're also taxed by the home cities in which we play as well as the places where we live in the offseason. We like road games in Texas and Florida because there's no state income tax in those places."

The Palm Beach Post today says the Dolphins are likely to pass on Coles. This actually makes sense. The reasoning being that Ted Ginn is a #2, and Coles is a #2, and they are looking for a #1 to play alongside Ginn. The paper says it makes more sense for Coles to sign with the Bills.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydol...oles/#more-1372

Nope. I know a few players on the Nationals and they tell me they have to pay state taxes in every city they play in.

As a visiting player they will not be taxed by those states that have no income tax.

They will pay taxes to their state of residency though for income earned anywhere.

If they live in a state with no income tax they are only getting taxed for half their games (away) and avoid getting double taxed.

A player for the Dolphins will get taxed for half their games. A player for the Bills will get taxed for all of their games and in some cases, double taxed.

As the article says, that's why a lot of pro athletes live in Florida.

No one is throwing Hardy or Johnson away

Hardy shown last year that he is not ready for the #2 role just yet, and with his injury last seasonhe is going to need time to get back into the game. A for Johnson, For crying out loud, the guy has played in 3 games in his 1 year career and made 10 catches, people nowthink we have the next Randy Moss in the 7th round pick

It's not that we believe he will be Randy Moss, we believe or some of us believe that he will be a good #2 Wide out. So let's not get carried away.

Marques Coleston was a 7th rounder who performed at a high #1 level his rookie year. Anquan Boldin was a 6th rounder and played at a probowl level his first year. You can't tell me that anyone had high expectations from them this fast or for that matter ever, or else they would of been drafted much higher.

Johnson has shown, when given the opportunity, to be productive, find the endzone, doesn't drop passes and seems to get open.

Thats what we're saying.

It's not that we believe he will be Randy Moss, we believe or some of us believe that he will be a good #2 Wide out. So let's not get carried away.

Marques Coleston was a 7th rounder who performed at a high #1 level his rookie year. Anquan Boldin was a 6th rounder and played at a probowl level his first year. You can't tell me that anyone had high expectations from them this fast or for that matter ever, or else they would of been drafted much higher.

Johnson has shown, when given the opportunity, to be productive, find the endzone, doesn't drop passes and seems to get open.

Thats what we're saying.

Anquan Boldin was a 2nd rounder

As a visiting player they will not be taxed by those states that have no income tax.

They will pay taxes to their state of residency though for income earned anywhere.

If they live in a state with no income tax they are only getting taxed for half their games (away) and avoid getting double taxed.

A player for the Dolphins will get taxed for half their games. A player for the Bills will get taxed for all of their games and in some cases, double taxed.

As the article says, that's why a lot of pro athletes live in Florida.

I understand that. First, I was saying that since NY has some of the highest tax rates in the country, at least for 9 games they'll get a cheaper rate than Buffalo. In some of those games, they wont have to pay double income tax .

Secondly, I was trying to prove that they still have to pay taxes where they play. Two or three people thought that was the craziest idea in the world (I thought the same when I heard it) but it's true.

EDIT: and from what I'm told, if you have a good accountant they can get deductions for the state income tax if they had paid it in another state.

The Palm Beach Post today says the Dolphins are likely to pass on Coles. This actually makes sense. The reasoning being that Ted Ginn is a #2, and Coles is a #2, and they are looking for a #1 to play alongside Ginn. The paper says it makes more sense for Coles to sign with the Bills.

I think it's been a smokescreen, to drive up the price...maybe helped along by Cole's agent. I think Coles helps improve the Bills' WR situation. But, I have a feeling, if the Bills sniff this guy is playing them, or sense attitude, they'll bail (bale?) say "screw it".

If Coles gets signed, shows up happy and ready to work, it will be a good pickup, IMO.

I don't see how they only view Coles as a #2 receiver when he's been the Jets' #1 for years.

I think it's been a smokescreen, to drive up the price...maybe helped along by Cole's agent. I think Coles helps improve the Bills' WR situation. But, I have a feeling, if the Bills sniff this guy is playing them, or sense attitude, they'll bail (bale?) say "screw it".

If Coles gets signed, shows up happy and ready to work, it will be a good pickup, IMO.

I think if the dolphins are not really interested, then Coles HAS to sign our deal. We probably have the only legit offer out for him.