Sully Hammers Guy

BillsNYC

Chris Kelsay is the worst Bills starter in recent memory. His play is laughably inadequate. The fact that the Bills have choose to keep him on this team with that obscene salary of his says all you need to know about the lack of intelligence at One Bills Drive. My take is that they choose congeniality over ability. Kelsay knows how to parrot his coach's inane reasoning for failure in those all too familiar sad sack losing locker room interviews. Is there any doubt now that this team is on it's way to a four or less win 2009 season? Not for me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only saving grace for Guy is if he was merely supplying information for whomever decided on free agents for these past two years. My bet is DJ had final say and made the call on whom to pursue.

With 13 out of 14 FA signings in the 06-07 time frame gone, I'd say whoever is making the call needs to go. Yet the front office remains the same, although Perhaps DJ's condition for staying was to merely give up personnel authority.

Either way, a shake-up was in order and as The Who say, "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

Another element of the equation is that the whole free agency thing is a beauty contest of sorts. The Bills have been a struggling small-market non-factor for a decade. They have to go after free agents harder and with bigger wheelbarrows of cash than other teams. Despite that, they've have self imposed cash-to-cap which limits what they can do in free agency by limiting the total amount of bonus money they have to spend. (That's not to say cash-to-cap completely hamstrings them, because they can obviously put together a huge deal once in a while, ala Dockery, but they are not going to be like the Jets last season either.)

Big game tonight, are you going? Siena could pretty much lock down an at large bid with a sweep this weekend. Niagara could send a message to Siena tonight that it is not going to be a picnic playing then in the MAAC tourney next weekend.

yes, I will be there tonight. Hoping for a great game and atmosphere regardless!!

Another element of the equation is that the whole free agency thing is a beauty contest of sorts. The Bills have been a struggling small-market non-factor for a decade. They have to go after free agents harder and with bigger wheelbarrows of cash than other teams. Despite that, they've have self imposed cash-to-cap which limits what they can do in free agency by limiting the total amount of bonus money they have to spend. (That's not to say cash-to-cap completely hamstrings them, because they can obviously put together a huge deal once in a while, ala Dockery, but they are not going to be like the Jets last season either.)

The difference between a small market like Buffalo and Indy continues to be management. And until more fans realize the guys running the show for the Bills are not good enough, there's little that can be said for the organization regardless of what they do in UFA and on draft day. They've handled free agency in different ways, spending on several lesser players (06) and spending big on a few players (07) yet neither worked. 08 UFA was somewhere in the middle money-wise, but had a positive effect. Not enough to make up for the joke HC, but decent. With most likely a tough schedule in 09, it's going to be an uphill climb.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but at some point the Bills will face reality that a real GM is required to clear out front office dead weight and begin anew.

The article on the Bills' FO has a pathologically bitter snarky undertone to it, that is more at home on these pages than in a newspaper. So, sorry that you can't see the irony of a newspaper columnist descending to the base level of the blogosphere, precisely at a time where the life of his employer is being determined.

That's the niche Sullivan has carved out for himself -- to speak up and challenge Bills' management. Does he go over the top sometimes? Sure he does. In this case, however, he is dead on.

Though there's no reason to be bitter about the ineptitude that has plagued the Bills front office for the better part of a decade is there? :doh:

It is a commentary article. I am no journalism expert but isn't the article supposed to be kinda opinionated & personal. Grow a little thicker skin. The bills have not done sh*t this whole decade, & alot of the same clowns that started running the ship in the beginning of this decade are still here. What else is he supposed to say?

These guys get promoted for not making the playoffs, yet polian was let go for making the superbowl on numerous occasions. Interesting....

The article on the Bills' FO has a pathologically bitter snarky undertone to it, that is more at home on these pages than in a newspaper. So, sorry that you can't see the irony of a newspaper columnist descending to the base level of the blogosphere, precisely at a time where the life of his employer is being determined.

Makes it kind of hard to defend the position that you get higher quality of writing from a "professional."

Are you talking about the same newspapers who's higher "elevation" of reporting was so profound and unbiased that they choose to embarrassingly fawn over Obama while writing articles with bitter and snarky undertones towards McCain? Here's a newsflash...newspapers lost all credibility a loooooong time ago and is one of the reasons people stopped buying them. If Sully continues to write honest assessments of the Buffalo Bills like one this more often then maybe he'll get many more people to buy that newspaper.

The difference between a small market like Buffalo and Indy continues to be management. And until more fans realize the guys running the show for the Bills are not good enough, there's little that can be said for the organization regardless of what they do in UFA and on draft day. They've handled free agency in different ways, spending on several lesser players (06) and spending big on a few players (07) yet neither worked. 08 UFA was somewhere in the middle money-wise, but had a positive effect. Not enough to make up for the joke HC, but decent. With most likely a tough schedule in 09, it's going to be an uphill climb.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but at some point the Bills will face reality that a real GM is required to clear out front office dead weight and begin anew.

Yep. Polian has had a consistent approach that has proven out over multiple decades and with multiple organizations.

GG is certainly aware of the difference between a columnist and a reporter. What makes Sullivan so poor is that he seems to have so few sources or contacts. It's as if he mounts a soapbox each week to tell us he's mad as hell and isn't going to take it anymore. The only times in the past year where he's deigned to give any inside info is his weak shot at Wilson for chuckling in the locker room after a bad loss. And even then he overinterpreted - indeed misinterpreted - Wilson's reaction. "Columnists' usually have some access along with their soapbox: Lupica, Rhoden, Vecsey, Dr. Z, TJ Simers, Gil Brandt, Jason Whitlock, Mark Cannizzaro, the guys for the Washington Post and Boston Globe, etc. etc. I've been reading him for years, and he really doesn't seem to know very much beyond the obvious stuff that every one of us can pick up on. Yet he gets paid for it.

He really should be posting his bitter vents here. Perhaps he already is!

Chris Kelsay is the worst Bills starter in recent memory. His play is laughably inadequate. The fact that the Bills have choose to keep him on this team with that obscene salary of his says all you need to know about the lack of intelligence at One Bills Drive. My take is that they choose congeniality over ability. Kelsay knows how to parrot his coach's inane reasoning for failure in those all too familiar sad sack losing locker room interviews. Is there any doubt now that this team is on it's way to a four or less win 2009 season? Not for me.

You are spot on re: Kelsay. Touche'.

What makes Sullivan so poor is that he seems to have so few sources or contacts.

Why does that matter? It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Sullivan is willing to call out the ineptitude of the front office and the poor performance of underachieving/overpaid players. Of course that won't win him any friends within the organization. If plain vanilla writing is what you want, read Gaughan and Wilson.

It's as if he mounts a soapbox each week to tell us he's mad as hell and isn't going to take it anymore. The only times in the past year where he's deigned to give any inside info is his weak shot at Wilson for chuckling in the locker room after a bad loss. And even then he overinterpreted - indeed misinterpreted - Wilson's reaction. "Columnists' usually have some access along with their soapbox:

Lupica, Rhoden, Vecsey, Dr. Z, TJ Simers, Gil Brandt, Jason Whitlock, Mark Cannizzaro, the guys for the Washington Post and Boston Globe, etc. etc. I've been reading him for years, and he really doesn't seem to know very much beyond the obvious stuff that every one of us can pick up on. Yet he gets paid for it.

Apples to Oranges comparison. Lupica, Rhoden, Whitlock, Cannizzaro -- they all work in markets where results actually matter. If the teams in their locality missed the playoffs for 10 years straight and allocated their resources poorly, they'd be run out of town in a few years. In Buffalo, they receive promotions for their work.

Why does that matter? It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Sullivan is willing to call out the ineptitude of the front office and the poor performance of underachieving/overpaid players. Of course that won't win him any friends within the organization. If plain vanilla writing is what you want, read Gaughan and Wilson.

It's as if he mounts a soapbox each week to tell us he's mad as hell and isn't going to take it anymore. The only times in the past year where he's deigned to give any inside info is his weak shot at Wilson for chuckling in the locker room after a bad loss. And even then he overinterpreted - indeed misinterpreted - Wilson's reaction. "Columnists' usually have some access along with their soapbox:

Apples to Oranges comparison. Lupica, Rhoden, Whitlock, Cannizzaro -- they all work in markets where results actually matter. If the teams in their locality missed the playoffs for 10 years straight and allocated their resources poorly, they'd be run out of town in a few years. In Buffalo, they receive promotions for their work.

Really? Then why have the Bills have had 4 coaches and 4 GMs in 9 years? Buffalo ain't so different from the rest. By the way, those other columnists may even be more critical, yet they manage to work hard enough to gain access. Maybe it's because they're better at what they do. But hey, if he writes something you agree with, who am I say he shouldn't be enjoyed?

Yep. Polian has had a consistent approach that has proven out over multiple decades and with multiple organizations.

He has also had always the good fortune of having the opportunity to have a good franchise qb running the ship. If he had a sh--head like Losman running the team he probably would of been run out of Indy years ago.

Really? Then why have the Bills have had 4 coaches and 4 GMs in 9 years?

That's window dressing. Modrak has been running the Bills' scouting department since '02 or '03 and is largely responsible for the so-so drafts. The scouting department has remained largely unchanged during that time.

Overdorf has been the chief contract negotiator/capologist for the entire decade despite doling out illadvised contracts year after year.

John Guy has run the Pro Personnel department since TD got here and has whiffed bigtime on free agent acquisitions, particularly in the offensive line.

In essence, the same clowns are running the circus that is the Bills' front office.

Buffalo ain't so different from the rest. By the way, those other columnists may even be more critical, yet they manage to work hard enough to gain access. Maybe it's because they're better at what they do. But hey, if he writes something you agree with, who am I say he shouldn't be enjoyed?

I love how you compare nationally syndicated columnists who have regular appearances on national television with a columnist who writes for the Buffalo News. Of course they are more powerful than Sullivan. In any case, it's not like any of the local columnists have inside access. They simply regurgitate what the Bills brass tells them, which in most cases is fluff. I suppose you enjoy that.... which is fine.

But if Sullivan is the only writer in Buffalo willing to speak out against Bills management, more power to him.

Not only are they still here, most of them got promoted. I wish I worked for a boss Like Ralph Wilson. I would have a field day being incompetent.

I wish I was Ralph Wilson's daughter. No, not really, but if I were I could be in charge of college scouting. Who knew?

My question is this...how many other NFL owners have daughters and how many of them are running scouting departments? I will celebrate the day Linda Bogdan is no longer at OBD.

That's the niche Sullivan has carved out for himself -- to speak up and challenge Bills' management. Does he go over the top sometimes? Sure he does. In this case, however, he is dead on.

Though there's no reason to be bitter about the ineptitude that has plagued the Bills front office for the better part of a decade is there? :rolleyes:

Well said.