I feel bad for Fred Jackson

major

This is the best thing for Jackson and the Bills. He has a contract in hand. Hopefully the Bills sign him to an extension that Jackson likes. If they dont offer him something he likes. Jackson goes out plays hard and next year this time he becomes an UFA. He gets his payday at some point. Unless he is injured. This is a smart move by the Bills FO. And due to the injury possibility Buffalo can get Jackson to sign a reasonable deal. Not bad for a guy that wasn't drafted and was playing in the arena league a few years back.

That's my understanding. I guess that since he was undrafted, a bidding team won't have to suffer a draft pick loss if they sign him.

Exclusive Rights: A player with an expiring contract who has less than three accrued seasons can only sign with his old club, provided that he is offered a one-year contract at the minimum salary for the upcoming year. If the exclusive rights free agent gets no such offer, he is completely free.

http://www.nflplayers.com/user/template.as...id=0&type=l

An Exclusive-Rights Free Agent is an NFL player who is not under contract, but has only two years of NFL experience. If his former club makes him an offer at the three year veteran minimum salary, then that's it, he has to take it or leave the NFL. These guys have no right to negotiate with other teams. They are "free" only in the sense that they're free to quit.

http://football.calsci.com/FreeAgency.html

There is one other kind of free agent, which isn't really very "free" at all. That is the Exclusive Rights Free Agent (ERFA). Such a player has no more than two accrued seasons in the NFL and may only sign with his prior team, provided, of course, that the team extends a minimum qualifying offer to the player.

http://www.askthecommish.com/freeagency/

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...21192907AAPnD0j

this one is becoming good comedy...

an offer must be tendered otherwise that player becomes an UFA. By tendering the offer the Bills still hold the rights to jackson

I am 100% confident a long term deal is being hammered out for Jackson

I agree

and remember just because they offered him the tender he does not have to sign it........

I am sure they will reward Fred for last year, but we have to get though the free agents first, then they will sing him to a performance laden 3 yr deal

I agree

and remember just because they offered him the tender he does not have to sign it........

If he doesn't sign it, or another contract from the Bills, he doesn't play in the NFL, in 2009.

So do you think he'll sign with someone else?

You know, it's criminal the way he's been treated with the tender. I mean really, he could be the opening day starter and all the Bills FO does is tender? This isn't Memphis for chrissakes (think about it). Jackson deserved a bonifide contract not a tender. The FO treated him like crap. Tender this FO!

I don't feel sorry for anyone making nearly a half a million dollars per year for playing 16 games of something that they have loved doing since they were young.

It's not about feeling sorry, it's about getting fair pay. You have to pay to play.

back to topic. I'm sure they will offer Freddy a fair contract in the next coming months

You know, it's criminal the way he's been treated with the tender. I mean really, he could be the opening day starter and all the Bills FO does is tender? This isn't Memphis for chrissakes (think about it). Jackson deserved a bonifide contract not a tender. The FO treated him like crap. Tender this FO!

Are you serious or have you not read most of this thread? It was done to prevent him from becoming an UFA.

Beerball. Are you being sarcastic, don't get it, or don't want to get it?

They are multi-tasking like crazy right now on a compressed schedule. There was the combine, free agency, they're maneuvering many pieces right now in a short amount of time.

We already know they've talked with his agent. Talks will continue between now and the draft.

The chances that he doesn't sign a new multi-year contract before the season starts is almost nil. It will get done but it is not urgent and I'd bet you are more upset than Fred Jackson is. Unless you're being sarcastic.

Beerball. Are you being sarcastic, don't get it, or don't want to get it?

They are multi-tasking like crazy right now on a compressed schedule. There was the combine, free agency, they're maneuvering many pieces right now in a short amount of time.

We already know they've talked with his agent. Talks will continue between now and the draft.

The chances that he doesn't sign a new multi-year contract before the season starts is almost nil. It will get done but it is not urgent and I'd bet you are more upset than Fred Jackson is. Unless you're being sarcastic.

OK, I get it. Jackson is below McIntyre on the Bills to do list.