Willis McGahee speed question.

OnTheRocks

First...nice move inserting Willis to the top banner on the board!

To anyone who saw the game, can you tell me if you think McGahee is gaining speed back?

Did he look faster than lets say the Dolphins game? Or back in Training camp?

I only saw the highlights and to me it looks like he would have a hard time breaking any long runs. (50+ yards)

I would say that he has not fully regained his speed--and seems a long way off.

One play comes to mind yesterday. 3rd and 1-- it was a fake hand-off to the FB to the right and then they pitch out to McGahee to the left (a play that Martz invented with Marshall Faulk in St.Louis). The idea is McGahee has to beat the defense to the outside. He didn't make it--he was dragged down short of the first down.

In addition, he was dragged down from behind a few times on draws yesterday.

But, consider that he still gained over a 100 yards and he's not even at full speed yet! When he gets back to full form, he'll be a monster.

To anyone who saw the game, can you tell me if you think McGahee is gaining speed back?

Did he look faster than lets say the Dolphins game?  Or back in Training camp?

I only saw the highlights and to me it looks like he would have a hard time breaking any long runs.  (50+ yards)

94436[/snapback]

I didn't see the speed people talk about, and he certainly didn't look any faster than he did in the Dolphin's game. There were times I was expecting to see the jets turn on, but it just wasn't there...particularly on one outside run when he get taken down from behind by a linebacker.

That's not to say he won't get faster. It's just to say in all the football I watch, I don't see him as being extraordinarily fast. Yet.

I would say that he has not fully regained his speed--and seems a long way off.

One play comes to mind yesterday. 3rd and 1-- it was a fake hand-off to the FB to the right and then they pitch out to McGahee to the left (a play that Martz invented with Marshall Faulk in St.Louis). The idea is McGahee has to beat the defense to the outside. He didn't make it--he was dragged down short of the first down.

In addition, he was dragged down from behind a few times on draws yesterday.

But, consider that he still gained over a 100 yards and he's not even at full speed yet! When he gets back to full form, he'll be a monster.

94445[/snapback]

I watched that play, but I think he looked slower because he was waiting on someone to make a block.

I watched that play, but I think he looked slower because he was waiting on someone to make a block.

94451[/snapback]

He might have been waiting for blocks on some of the runs but he still doesn't have the burst that he had when he was at UofM. I do think that he looks quicker now than he did during the preseason and I'm not sure if he looks any quicker than he did against Miami. If anything, he looks a little more confident and a little less hesitant which might make him appear quicker. But in actual quickness or burst, I think that he is still a year away from being back to top form. He is already there in the determination department though.

If anything, he looks a little more confident and a little less hesitant which might make him appear quicker.

94460[/snapback]

good point.

i guess i am wondering with 6 of their final 9 games in cool to cold climates (and i include SF in that) will cold make him slightly less effective with that resturctured knee.

Don't think he'll ever be as fast as he was in college (pre-injury). That being said, he looks bigger, thicker....in the NFL and he is pretty fast for a big guy. I look forward to seeing him run a long one with no one in front of him and see if he gets caught from behind. That's the only knock on Henry, he always got caught from behind.

Did he look faster than lets say the Dolphins game?  Or back in Training camp?

I only saw the highlights and to me it looks like he would have a hard time breaking any long runs.  (50+ yards)

94436[/snapback]

I don't think he's any faster. YET. HE will be.

Your right, there is a change since the preseason. He isn't hesitating anymore. He looks like he's mentally 100% over his injury.

LOL willis has run much much faster times than 4.55...he might of ran that on one leg after he blew up his knee but he is certainly faster than that in the 40.

as far as his gameday speed he is looking like a 4.55 runner and very slow for will...im not sure if he just hasn't turned it up all the way yet or if he is still gaining his speed back or what but hes looking like a sloth...i think he'll turn it around tho

That's the only knock on Henry, he always got caught from behind.

94490[/snapback]

that's not quite the only knock on henry (see: fumble-itis, blitz pickups, shoe selection)

i just love reading all of the medical posts on this board. didn't know there were so many orthopods in our midst. :)

willis is a PATIENT runner. he waits for his blockers and then shoots through the hole (or runs somebody over). he was caught from behind twice that i can recall yesterday b/c it was a slow-developing play to the outside and he was waiting for the blocks.

i have no idea if he is as fast as he was or if he will get faster. if he simply stays at the level he's at right now, he can be one of the best backs in the league. the sky's the limit.