Haynesworth to Skins?

DwightSchrute

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No surprise that Snyder is willing to toss him big bucks, but there is a report for $100 million with an average of $15 million to $16 million per...Bills wouldn't go that high...would they?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

I hope not, he's not worth that much money. People forget his injury history has seem him never play a full season, has a reputation for coasting and taking plays off at times, and is only on the field about 60% of the time. Thats a lot of money for some one like that, even someone as talented as Haynesworth. Not saying I dont want the guy, but that is just too much money IMO and probably why the Titans arent going to match despite them wanting to keep him and him wanting to stay.

This is another weird story that doesn't make sense. According to the figures I've seen, the Washington Redskins have less cap room than any other NFL team.

In addition I don't think most experts would view them as being so close to championship caliber that a move like Haynesworth would make any sense. And they're going to make him the highest paid defensive player in football?

Been wrong before but just don't see it.

This is another weird story that doesn't make sense. According to the figures I've seen, the Washington Redskins have less cap room than any other NFL team.

In addition I don't think most experts would view them as being so close to championship caliber that a move like Haynesworth would make any sense.

Been wrong before but just don't see it.

I read a story (I think on cnnsi.com) this week that actually discussed why the skins couldnt land him, and it was because of the cap number or something, so I am not sure I buy into this either.

Either way, too much money for him IMO. I would like to see him here, but I wouldnt want us to commit much more than 12 mil a year...

I hope not, he's not worth that much money. People forget his injury history has seem him never play a full season, has a reputation for coasting and taking plays off at times, and is only on the field about 60% of the time. Thats a lot of money for some one like that, even someone as talented as Haynesworth. Not saying I dont want the guy, but that is just too much money IMO and probably why the Titans arent going to match despite them wanting to keep him and him wanting to stay.

I absolutely agree. The Skins are notorious for overpaying for FA's. Snyder for years has tried to build a team with big name FA's you would think that he would learn that his methods are unsuccessful.

It was a pipe dream to think that he would be in a Bills uniform to begin with.

We are a tier 2 FA team, always have been

For the most part, but not always.

I agreed with that until we signed Takeo... But it's been awhile since we've gotten that type of talent in FA

We were never going to sign him I expected that.......

Let me throw this out there......BJ Raji.....would you trade up to make sure you got him?

No. We need every pick we have. I'd rather trade down and get a couple of players instead of trade away multiple picks to trade up for one.

We were never going to sign him I expected that.......

Let me throw this out there......BJ Raji.....would you trade up to make sure you got him?

It's a thought but I agree with H2o...the cost of moving up into the top five (assuming you have a trade partner cued up and Raji is there with your trade partner) is very steep both draft pick wise and financially.

According to the draft trade chart being used as a starting point for NFL teams, by swapping our #11 with #5 for instance, we'd have to give up at least our 2nd and 3rd round picks and a bit more.

In addition, the difference in pay from 5 to 11 is also enormous.

Last year's #5, Glenn Dorsey got a 5 year $50 million contract.

Last year's #11, Leodis McKelvin got a 5 year $19.4 million contract.

It's simply not worth it.

I read a story (I think on cnnsi.com) this week that actually discussed why the skins couldnt land him, and it was because of the cap number or something, so I am not sure I buy into this either.

Either way, too much money for him IMO. I would like to see him here, but I wouldnt want us to commit much more than 12 mil a year...

I think that story had to do with raises going into the uncapped year. Basically it said that you couldn't pay a player more than 130% of his previous year's cap number in the uncapped year. Meaning that if Haynesworth wanted $12mm per season, you would have to pay him something like $9mm in the first year of the deal. It was commenting on how most teams will give the player a small salary and large signing bonus int he first year and then a large salary after that. Teams will not be able to do that this year. Because of the pending CBA issues. If I remember correctly, the article actually mentioned the Bills specifically and how they had set themselves up to have a lot of room to make moves this off season.

No surprise that Snyder is willing to toss him big bucks, but there is a report for $100 million with an average of $15 million to $16 million per...Bills wouldn't go that high...would they?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

I know some people will call Ralph cheap for not signing him to a similar contract but, stupid contracts are stupid contracts and in no way reflect on Raph's willingness to pay FA's. Willingness to spend and willingness to spend stupidly are two very different things. :rolleyes:

I know some people will call Ralph cheap for not signing him to a similar contract but, stupid contracts are stupid contracts and in no way reflect on Raph's willingness to pay FA's. Willingness to spend and willingness to spend stupidly are two very different things. :rolleyes:

Exactly, and that is why letting Clements go wasn't a cheap move, but a smart move.

Great point. A team that would do things at any cost is a team doomed to failure.

200 tackles 24 career sacks. Unblockable defensive tackle. Why would we as Bills fans want that, when we have "high effort" players like Kyle Williams and Spencer Johnson? Who needs the "lazy" Haynesworth :rolleyes:

You're right man. Haynesworth has really helped them win and make the playoffs while he's been there. They don't do much as a team without him, but how much have they done with him? He strikes me as an !@#$, me-first type of player, who could easily decide part of the way into a contract that he doesn't want to play for the team or contract anymore. Also, how good do you think he'll be when he's 32?

I'm not saying I'd rather have Williams and Johnson, but I have a problem with getting some one like him where there is a real potential of him only playing 6 or 8 games and the Bills only being competitive in those games. I'd rather build a team that will play 16 games than one that will play 8.