TSN has Bills focusing on these FA's

Chandler#81

Per todays' edition.

Owen Daniels TE -Texans. Says FO likes Fine & Schouman but OD is better than both in all aspects

Devery Henderson WR -Saints. Veteran, big play WR due to his speed.

Michael Boley OLB -Falcons. Productive vs. run & pass. At 26, still has much upside (Crowell replacement)

Jermaine Phillips S-Bucs. 7 year vet with a knack for creating turnovers -11 ints., 7 FF since '06. Strong vs. run, well versed in Cover-2 scheme.

This is the first I've heard on any of these players in our wish list. All appear upgrades.

http://today.sportingnews.com/t=c/?1&3...p;DIBSka37cneXn

page 10.

daniels - i'd absolutely love to have him in buffalo. he'd come at a high cost in terms of draft picks, however..

devery henderson- eh, a poor man's lee evans. not so hot on him. getting to 40 catches in a year would be an accomplishment for him, and that's with drew brees throwing to him. considering his forte is stretching the field, why would he want to come to buffalo w/ edwards at qb?

michael boley- a rising, good player. definitely wouldn't mind him.

jermaine phillips- bad at coverage, very good against the run. kinda iffy on him... the reason they let lynch go in tampa was because this kid was supposed to be 'better' than him. i don't really think he ever surpassed even a declining lynch in terms of play.

Per todays' edition.

Owen Daniels TE -Texans. Says FO likes Fine & Schouman but OD is better than both in all aspects

Michael Boley OLB -Falcons. Productive vs. run & pass. At 26, still has much upside (Crowell replacement)

Jermaine Phillips S-Bucs. 7 year vet with a knack for creating turnovers -11 ints., 7 FF since '06. Strong vs. run, well versed in Cover-2 scheme.

This is the first I've heard on any of these players in our wish list. All appear upgrades.

page 10.

I get so excited the week leading up to free agency. The chance of bringing in some new, better players is definitely cause for hope for even us long suffering Bills' fans. I would be happy with all four of those players. I think we need to look at at least one D lineman and a Center as well in free agency. That will open up many more possibilities on draft day. Henderson would be the best #2 receiver we have had in years if we can sign him.

Per todays' edition.

page 10.

Isn't Lance Moore from New Orleans also a FA? I'd much rather have him then Henderson.

I like Daniels, not sure about the others...sounds like the Bills 'hit' ratio.

Owen Daniels - TE

2008 Pre-Season Comment: Daniels enjoyed a productive second year in the NFL by catching 63 passes (second best on the team) for 768 yards while starting all 16 games. He is definitely more of a receiving tight end than a blocking one and is an excellent athlete for the position. He has good initial quickness to avoid the press at the line of scrimmage and shows a good burst out of his breaks to separate from defenders. He has excellent hand-eye coordination to make catches outside of his frame and can make acrobatic catches. He can stretch the secondary down the middle as well as catch the ball in traffic on the shorter crossing patterns. He is not real elusive after the catch, but can make the first man miss most of the time. He is excellent at reading coverages and does a good job of settling himself in the soft spots to present a target for the quarterback. He is not much of a blocker, but will show effort to get in the way and try to sustain his blocks. He lacks the bulk and strength to control defensive ends when at the point of attack, but can hold his own against most linebackers or safeties.

2008 Season Outlook: Daniels saw a whopping 94 targets in '07 -- partly because of Andre Johnson's injury, but partly because his quarterbacks trusted him. A smart route-runner with mostly reliable hands, Daniels roughly doubled his rookie-year output by becoming an option in the deep middle of the field, although he won't dazzle you with many post-catch pyrotechnics. He actually saw his touchdowns drop from five to three, but Daniels did get 11 targets in the red zone, indicating that the Texans think he's got the potential to score. If Johnson can remain healthy, it will mean fewer total balls thrown Daniels' way, but it also means a stronger offense and thus more touchdown chances. Daniels will try to fight his way into the top 10 among tight ends.

Devery Henderson - WR

2008 Pre-Season Comment: Henderson has good burst and size and elite top-end speed. He accelerates quickly off the line and runs exceptionally well downfield. He is a threat after the catch. He gets upfield quickly and can run through some arm tackles. He has shown some effort and toughness as a run blocker. But he's a straight-line athlete and far from a finished product. He doesn't change directions well and is an average (at best) route runner. He struggles to break down and will drift at the break point on intermediate routes. He doesn't separate from man-to-man coverage on underneath routes. His hands are inconsistent, especially in traffic. He has trouble concentrating on the ball and catching in a crowd. He has had some durability issues. Henderson is a sub-package vertical threat who could develop into a starter with some technique refinement, but the receiver-rich Saints may have run out of patience waiting for that to happen.

2008 Season Outlook: Henderson is a burner, so he'll always be a tease to fantasy owners. But we've seen enough of his act by now to know that you want no part of him because it'll only end in tears. Equipped with a pair of the worst hands in the league, Henderson certainly does get open downfield, and occasionally scores long touchdowns. But we think Robert Meachem will beat him out and that both guys will play behind the more consistent David Patten. Plus with Jeremy Shockey around, all Saints receivers should see their targets drop.

Jermaine Phillips - S

2008 Pre-Season Comment: Phillips has excellent size for the position, but has struggled to stay healthy for a whole season. He is more effective the closer he lines up to the line of scrimmage. He can struggle in deep zones and is a little slow to react and break on the ball. He is just adequate in transition and tends to take extra steps to get realigned and to drive on the ball. He shows decent route recognition and does a good job of reading the quarterback's eyes to get a jump on the ball. He plays with good leverage on the ball and does a good job of coming downhill to make plays at, or close to, the line of scrimmage. He seems to be improving in his open-field tackling skills. He is aggressive in run support and will insert himself with abandon. While he is not an elite strong safety, he has become an adequate starter who does more than just carry his own weight in the secondary.

Michael Boley - OLB

2008 Pre-Season Comment: Boley is athletic, versatile and experienced. He's an every-down player who has good functional strength, but he's at his best in space and rushing the passer. He has good instincts, anticipating and reacting well to blocking patterns. He can slide and move well laterally. He has sideline-to-sideline range and good speed in the box. He is fluid when getting depth in his zone drops. He can bend and stay in control in space. He shows good awareness in zones and closes quickly. He also closes well and shows quickness off the edge when rushing the passer. But he isn't an strong take-on player (at 226 lbs). He isn't explosive with his hands and he struggles to stack and shed to get off blocks. He doesn't match up often in man-to-man. He needs some refinement as a pass rusher off his combinations. Boley is a fast-flow linebacker who must be well-protected to excel, but he's versatile and can be productive in the right system. He could be on the verge of a breakout, which is why he should have plenty of suitors.

Scout.com ranks those players as the following:

Owen Daniels - #1 Available TE

Jermaine Phillips - #1 Available S

Michael Boley - #6 Available OLB (Crowell is ranked #8)

Devry Henderson - #10 Available WR

If this report is true, then i'm very pleased with Buffalo's wish list.

..... although i'm not huge on Henderson.

I see no place for Devery Henderson, if he could be valuable as a special teamer then I could see he being on the team at the expense of Jenkins, which I doubt, since we just signed him or if we traded Parrish. However i do like the idea of having another deep threat to relieve the pressure and double teaming off of Evans. But I don't think he is a fit.

Daniels is a fantastic talent on the rise, but no way would I trade a first and third on him. However there is a chance that the Texans would accept less than this. But since there is a lot of potential talent this year at the TE position in the draft, I don't this is a good route to take.

Boley looks like a perfect fit. Fast, young and productive. I like this possible pickup.

Phillips would be an upgrade and I sort of like this pick as well. More turnover potential than Bryan Scott, but I like Bryan Scott, but I wouldn't be opposed to the upgrade.

Per todays' edition.

page 10.

Boley and Henderson could be 2 very welcome additions and help the Bills focus on other areas in the draft. Daniels is looking like he is going to command a 1st and 3rd round pick as an RFA and if that is the case, that is way too much. However, if the compensation is less than that...say a 2nd round pick, I'd pull the trigger on that in a second.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen the current offer sheets and tenders? I could not find them on NFL.com this year

Boley and Henderson could be 2 very welcome additions and help the Bills focus on other areas in the draft. Daniels is looking like he is going to command a 1st and 3rd round pick as an RFA and if that is the case, that is way too much. However, if the compensation is less than that...say a 2nd round pick, I'd pull the trigger on that in a second.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen the current offer sheets and tenders? I could not find them on NFL.com this year

A TE that is a lock for the pro bowl, will average 80 catches and 900 yards, and is only 26 is WELL worth a 1st and a 3rd.

Isn't Lance Moore from New Orleans also a FA? I'd much rather have him then Henderson.

Moore is in the same boat as Owen Daniels. He's restricted.

Henderson might have set a league record for drops by a receiver over the past two years. He's exactly the sort of guy we don't want standing in the way of our younger, developing receivers. We need a frontline starter type, not another player to put into the mix.

Phillips is alright. Since Gibril Wilson was released by the Raiders he's probably the top free safety available in free agency. Sean Jones of Cleveland is arguable the top strong safety available. I'd rather have either of them than Phillips.

I like Boley.

Scout.com ranks those players as the following:

Owen Daniels - #1 Available TE

Jermaine Phillips - #1 Available S

Michael Boley - #6 Available OLB (Crowell is ranked #8)

Devry Henderson - #10 Available WR

If this report is true, then i'm very pleased with Buffalo's wish list.

..... although i'm not huge on Henderson.

This list is probably pre-Gibril Wilson getting cut. I'd say that Wilson is the best S out there. If we could land Wilson I'd be very happy, but I don't want Phillips. I'd rather sign Jones and move Whitner to FS than have Phillips. Daniels is the best TE out there, but Houston is not going to part ways with the guy if they don't get EVERYTHING they want. They'll hold onto him and try to negotiate long-term I believe. Boley is too undersized to play on our defense. Look at Ellison, even though I know that Boley is better overall than him. They are about the same size. I just don't think Buffalo would be a good fit. I don't want Devry Henderson either. We have a player like him already on the roster named Roscoe Parrish. Just say no.

Sean Jones of Cleveland is arguable the top strong safety available. I'd rather have either of them than Phillips.

I like Boley.

Agree. Jones in and switch Whitner to FS would be a great upgrade IMO. Boley can absolutely thrive if we land another stud DT.

Doesn't anyone think we should show some interest in Gibril Wilson over Phillips? The guy made 9 mil last year and might be had on the cheap because of it. He looked pretty solid and might help Donte finally live up to his draft status if he isnt worrying about both S positions.

A TE that is a lock for the pro bowl, will average 80 catches and 900 yards, and is only 26 is WELL worth a 1st and a 3rd.

Are you kidding? First of all, nobody would have to pay that, as you would trade for him rather than matching the offer.

But a first and a third for a TE who doesn't block very well, and is therefore basically a part-time player? For a guy who has fewer yards than many #2 recievers? No way. First, it's unlikely, as the Bills like TEs who can block, and this guy isn't one of those. But even if you want him, in no way do you give more than a 3rd, maybe a second if you are absolutely desperate and willing to overpay.

Are you kidding? First of all, nobody would have to pay that, as you would trade for him rather than matching the offer.

But a first and a third for a TE who doesn't block very well, and is therefore basically a part-time player? For a guy who has fewer yards than many #2 recievers? No way. First, it's unlikely, as the Bills like TEs who can block, and this guy isn't one of those. But even if you want him, in no way do you give more than a 3rd, maybe a second if you are absolutely desperate and willing to overpay.

a third for a top 5 TE? What world do you live in?

Boley is a very good LB. I watched him play here in ATL for a couple of years. He was working on a contract extension before last season when he got into an off field altercation. All negotiations stopped. His numbers are very good when he started every game. He is young, fast, and athletic. A hard hitter and can cover TEs and RBs. In the years he started every game he averaged 3 ints a season. I personally would love to see the Bills pick him up. And i bet he can be had for respectable cash. He would be a huge improvement over Ellison.With him on the outside, Poz in the middle, and Mitchell the Bills would have a strong LB group.

I think the majority of tenders are made after the combine and before free agency begins. Look for a lot of tenders to happen tomorrow and Thursday.