Interesting Tidbit on Jason Brown, C

Lv-Bills

From eastcoastsportsnews.com via the Baltimore Sun

"Baltimore Ravens center Jason Brown will likely test the free-agency waters on Friday since it's believed there is a gap in negotiations between Brown and the Ravens...Brown excels against top nose tackles, but struggled in space against 4-3 defenses...Since the Ravens play two 3-4 defenses in the AFC North, they might want Brown back. Baltimoresun

Sounds like a good player for teams vs. our division.

I think this would be a very good move for obvious reasons. The only thing that concerns me is how much money we would be committing to the O-line. $7Million a year to Dockery, $5Million a year to Walker, $4Million on our guard, Peters you got to imagine will be around $8-9 Million, then Jason Brown who probably will want something close to $7Million.

Thats a lot of dough, but it is an important position.

THere are just so many options this year at center if the front office doesn't find a way to fix that spot then they are truly inept.

Unfortunately being inept at is what put them in this position.

They have a collective inability to evaluate offensive line prospects and specifically the center position.

Jason Brown and Duke Preston were in the same draft class. Brown was a highly touted prospect, Preston was not.

Who did the Bills choose, even though both were available when they used their pick on Preston? :thumbsup:

I filed that pick under the category of, they must know something others don't.

The problem is whenever I file a player under that category they turn out to be a bust.

I think this would be a very good move for obvious reasons. The only thing that concerns me is how much money we would be committing to the O-line. $7Million a year to Dockery, $5Million a year to Walker, $4Million on our guard, Peters you got to imagine will be around $8-9 Million, then Jason Brown who probably will want something close to $7Million.

Yea, but we still have plenty of cap space, and why wouldn't you want to put most the money on the O-Line or D-Line. That is what truly matters

They have a collective inability to evaluate offensive line prospects and specifically the center position.

Jason Brown and Duke Preston were in the same draft class. Brown was a highly touted prospect, Preston was not.

Who did the Bills choose, even though both were available when they used their pick on Preston? :thumbsup:

The problem is whenever I file a player under that category they turn out to be a bust.

Well according to your logic, every team other than the Ravens suck in evaluating talent, because everyone had passed up on him

two to three times!!

Well according to your logic, every team other than the Ravens suck in evaluating talent, because everyone had passed up on him

two to three times!!

Thanks for your "illogical" response. :thumbsup:

Preston was the 4rth true center taken that year, Brown was taken just a few picks later by the Ravens.

How you drew that I thought the Bills or any team should have taken Brown before the 4rth round I do not know.

The fact is Preston was not evaluated as worthy to be a 4rth round pick at the time of the draft and his play has reinforced that consensus. Brown on the other hand was a very solid selection in the 4rth round.

Agreed, they should have taken Brown instead of Preston in the 4rth.

yes

many teams should of as well. I guarantee you that if every team knew how good he turned out to be, that the vast majority would of drafted him. yes? It is easy to be critical in hindsight.

the OLine is EXACTLY WHERE we want to see the money spent. this is EXACTLY WHAT everyone has been screaming since the Donahoe days. Invest in the trenches!

Invest the money in the lines, where you get a lot of value for $5-8million/year and keep drafting and letting go DBs since theyre going to run you $8-10million and are easily replaceable. I know Bill will still B word about the draft, but at least we'll be able to remind him how much we invested through Free Agency. And frankly, I'd rather build the Line through FA and the DBs through the draft since you can get much more production out of rookie/2nd year DBs than you can rookie/2nd year Linemen. And veteran Linemen, who have been working with NFL coaches on footwork and blocking schemes are worth more than DBs.

There will always be faster kids coming out of college who can run with WRs, finding groomed Linemen is a much harder task.

THere are just so many options this year at center if the front office doesn't find a way to fix that spot then they are truly inept.

With the options on UFA and the draft, one would think this problem should be solved. Brown, Birk, Saturday, and to a lesser extent Hangartner are available in UFA. And then there's Alex Mack and Eric Wood, who I believe best fit what Buffalo needs in a center-bulk strength to handle larger interior DL.

As long as it's fair pay for production then cool.

They did ok with Corner it seems.

Schonert has said that he thinks we'll play ten 3-4 teams this year, and that since our two Centers are both FA's we will need to take a look at FA (including our own players) and the Draft. How anyone would not consider Brown is beyond me. Birk is also worth a look, but Brown should be considered the best fit. Schonert also said that pass protection is going to be a factor, which gives pluses to Brown and Birk. Finally, Modrak said that this draft has a good center group, ands that some will "sift into OC" from this year's OT group. This has to mean Mack and Wood, but also Max Unger. He has both OT and OC experience. I think these are the players they'll look at.

Schonert has said that he thinks we'll play ten 3-4 teams this year, and that since our two Centers are both FA's we will need to take a look at FA (including our own players) and the Draft. How anyone would not consider Brown is beyond me. Birk is also worth a look, but Brown should be considered the best fit. Schonert also said that pass protection is going to be a factor, which gives pluses to Brown and Birk. Finally, Modrak said that this draft has a good center group, ands that some will "sift into OC" from this year's OT group. This has to mean Mack and Wood, but also Max Unger. He has both OT and OC experience. I think these are the players they'll look at.

Are you sure you don't mean Oscar Madison's kid? :thumbsup:

its always been my stance that Center is the most important position on the line (i got blasted by all the LT lovers, but i still believe it).

i wouldnt mind if the Bills went out and got a veteran like Saturday AND spent a 1st or 2nd on drafting one for the long run too.

does anyone have information regarding how often a rookie Center comes in and starts? because we need a new Center for opening day. not week 8. not next season.

i have no problem signing with signing Saturday to a contract to improve/get us by at Center until whoever we draft is ready to step in.