Roster cuts?

BillsVet

There's certainly no time line to handle roster cuts, but it's surprising that some of TSW's favorites remain on the team eating up potentially valuable cap space.

While I won't go as far as saying Kelsay should be cut, his contract should be renegotiated for the final two years.

I'm still in amazement that Robert Royal and John McCargo are still on this team. Cutting them would provide an additional 4M in cap space. There are other lesser names occupying roster space, but cutting them would not be substantial moves.

But I suppose these are the players the front office likes having around. Perhaps they'll still be cut, but as free agency approaches, it's amazing that after their performance in 08 something isn't done before that time.

I guess if you can keep quite possibly one of the worst coaches in the NFL that you don't want to pay players not to play either.

There's certainly no time line to handle roster cuts, but it's surprising that some of TSW's favorites remain on the team eating up potentially valuable cap space.

While I won't go as far as saying Kelsay should be cut, his contract should be renegotiated for the final two years.

I'm still in amazement that Robert Royal and John McCargo are still on this team. Cutting them would provide an additional 4M in cap space. There are other lesser names occupying roster space, but cutting them would not be substantial moves.

But I suppose these are the players the front office likes having around. Perhaps they'll still be cut, but as free agency approaches, it's amazing that after their performance in 08 something isn't done before that time.

I guess if you can keep quite possibly one of the worst coaches in the NFL that you don't want to pay players not to play either.

As bad as the names are that you have mentioned are to the fan base. We would have to obtain the replacement talent first.

For example Larry Tripplet was released on 2/29/08 as a precusor to the Marcus Stroud trade of 3/1/08.

There still might be reason is the front office, the could be examing trades for players their own and other teams. Im quite sure they would like any type of compesation for a first round bust over out right release.

The team has plenty of cap space that releases are not imminent. Some might be released after acquistion of Free agents or after acquistion of Draft Picks. As much as we detest the play and the salary of the aforementioned players they are still the best we have (with the exception of Mccargo who still has slight potential left) so therefore have pateince until the calvary arrives :censored:

We have a LOT of cap space, so I dont understand all the hoopla over people eating up cap space on our team this early into the offseason. We have enough room under the cap to do whatever we want in FA and Draft, but people are acting like we dont and that we must start cutting players to get more space.

There is no rush to cut players, and I am sure the cuts we make will be a direct correlation of who we bring in as well. Regardless of fans opinnions of certain players, the FO has their own, and like it or not, Kelsay and Denney are not as bad as people think. They are overpaid, but that doesnt mean they dont have some value to this team...but the office isnt going to just start cutting people for the sake of cutting people until they have some certainty of how they will replace them.

The office may even be exploring trades of some of the players too...who knows, but its definitely early on in the off season and their is no pressure to cut players given our cap room. Once we start bringing some people in, I am sure the cuts will start rolling out...

As bad as the names are that you have mentioned are to the fan base. We would have to obtain the replacement talent first.

For example Larry Tripplet was released on 2/29/08 as a precusor to the Marcus Stroud trade of 3/1/08.

There still might be reason is the front office, the could be examing trades for players their own and other teams. Im quite sure they would like any type of compesation for a first round bust over out right release.

The team has plenty of cap space that releases are not imminent. Some might be released after acquistion of Free agents or after acquistion of Draft Picks. As much as we detest the play and the salary of the aforementioned players they are still the best we have (with the exception of Mccargo who still has slight potential left) so therefore have pateince until the calvary arrives :censored:

All excellent points:

They may yet do some cuts.

They don't have a gun to their heads to act now.

They have plenty of cap room at the moment.

Triplett was released. It's possible Royal could be too, very soon possibly.

I would add that McCargo is damaged goods (failed physical with Indy) so he probably has no trade value.

Good post. And the original post raises a good point. It should be interesting.

I agree that we should restucture Kelsay's contract. I believe he would do it. I also agree that we should cut Royal and McCargo, but as some other posters have mentioned. There is no rush to do it just yet.

There's no reason to release some one until you have a replacement or actually need their cap space. At this time the Bills fall into neither catagory. You can't release players without a contingency and even with that, it sometimes doesn't make sense for the team to release them immediately unless they feel they owe the player something. No one should be cut until training camp. Though Kelsey is bad, if two ends go down, I'd rather have him starting than Copeland Bryant or the defensive end equilalent of Leon Joe.

There's no reason to release some one until you have a replacement or actually need their cap space. At this time the Bills fall into neither catagory. You can't release players without a contingency and even with that, it sometimes doesn't make sense for the team to release them immediately unless they feel they owe the player something. No one should be cut until training camp. Though Kelsey is bad, if two ends go down, I'd rather have him starting than Copeland Bryant or the defensive end equilalent of Leon Joe.

Agreed, but what about giving us, the fans, something to get excited about? Making some cuts, to the inevitables anyway, and freeing up some dollars will essentially tell us that they truly are going to make a "splash" in free agency, as they promised!

Many years ago, one of my managers at work taught me that from a business perspective, information is a resource. You don't just give it away for nothing.

Every time the Bills cut a player such as Royal or McCargo, they are giving away information to other teams. They then all know that the Bills will need to sign another TE or DT to fill that spot.

Every time the Bills cut a player such as Royal or McCargo, they are giving away information to other teams. They then all know that the Bills will need to sign another TE or DT to fill that spot.

Believe me, nobody is worried about what Buffalo will do.

Many years ago, one of my managers at work taught me that from a business perspective, information is a resource. You don't just give it away for nothing.

Very true. That's the smart way to go.

The Bills accomplish this every off-season. They have so many holes to fill that it's anyone's guess which ones they will.

Last year, everyone knew the Bills were desperately seeking a DT, first pursuing Shaun Rogers, they going with Stroud. This year, every team knows they'll be looking for a C, TE, and OLB. With multiple free agents on the interior OL, Robert Royal at TE, and having banished Crowell, no one has to guess what Buffalo will address first.

If that thinking of not giving away information is accurate, then no one should cut anyone. Yet several NFL teams already have. And if there was any doubt about McCargo, it was put to rest when they attempted to trade him last season.

Agreed, but what about giving us, the fans, something to get excited about? Making some cuts, to the inevitables anyway, and freeing up some dollars will essentially tell us that they truly are going to make a "splash" in free agency, as they promised!

I must have missed that "promise", fill me in.