Everyone's Beloved Center Alex Mack............

H2o

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/18/...ed-for-combine/

Highly-regarded Cal center Alex Mack won’t be able to endure the rigors of the NFL scouting combine this week due to a sprained ankle he suffered Monday, NFL Network’s Adam Schefter reports.

Mack is considered one of the top interior offensive line prospects in the draft and has been projected as a first-round pick by many draft analysts.

Now, Mack will be limited to the meet-and-greet aspect of the scouting combine, which is also important in the mass job interview that will go on in Indianapolis this week. Mack said he’ll rehab his injury and prepare for his Pro Day in Berkeley, Calif., on March 18.

“While preparing for the combine on Monday with my trainer, I suffered a sprained ankle,” Mack said. “The injury isn’t serious, but unfortunately, it is going to keep me from working out this week in Indianapolis.

“No one is more disappointed than me, as I have been working tirelessly to further prove myself as a first-round pick. However, I don’t want to perform at anything less than 100 percent.”

Does this hurt his stock at all? Does it even matter? Seems like a pretty tough break to "sprain" your ankle 3 days before the NFL Combine. It could work to our benefit though, if another guy happens to shine and grab Philly or Miami's eye. They seem like our main competition if we are to try to get the best Center in the draft.

Does this hurt his stock at all? Does it even matter? Seems like a pretty tough break to "sprain" your ankle 3 days before the NFL Combine. It could work to our benefit though, if another guy happens to shine and grab Philly or Miami's eye. They seem like our main competition if we are to try to get the best Center in the draft.

Way too much analysis. If you like Soap operas they have a 24 hour channel on cable. Maybe we are lucky and the guy's stock falls badly making him a second round choice. I have a hard time believing that the #11 pick gets used on a center anyway.

My guess is some team will overlook the injury, but there is little question that by not being able to workout at the combine, that doubt will enter some GM's minds.

Unless some team feels that he has tackle or guard potential, I always thought that he would fall into the 2nd round.

After Miami moving Satelle, I figured they might be going with Mack in the 1st round. I also know that Philly needs line help and might be looking at him. I didn't ever think we would go with Mack @ #11, but I was thinking he might fall to us in the 2nd round possibly. Maybe this helps our cause.

After Miami moving Satelle, I figured they might be going with Mack in the 1st round. I also know that Philly needs line help and might be looking at him. I didn't ever think we would go with Mack @ #11, but I was thinking he might fall to us in the 2nd round possibly. Maybe this helps our cause.

I wouldn't be surprised if Miami goes after Jason Brown...

Seems to me by moving Satelle, they are targeting someone in FA. It's risky to not target a replacement in FA and hope to get the player you want in the draft. You may end up with some one worse than Satelle.

Not showing up at the combine does not hurt a known player. Matt Ryan did not work out at the combine last year, and was picked three and is doing ok ( i say that tongue in cheek). Big confrence players, have a lot of tape on them. Scouts will know all they need to know about mack before the combine. The combine usually helps a player that is not as well known or a guy on the edge. Every team that needs a center has been at Macks and the rest of the centers games/practices all last year.

As long as it is indeed a minor injury and there's no underlying issue, it'll have no effect upon his draft status. I still think he'll go sometime in top half of round 2.

he'll go before that.

Just as the previous poster mentioned. No way he gets past Pittsburgh

he'll go before that.

Just as the previous poster mentioned. No way he gets past Pittsburgh

He might well sneak into the last couple of picks of R1, no question about it. He has a few things working against him in that regard, however. The first is the tendency for centers to be undervalued on draft day. The second is the fact that this is a pretty good year if you need a center from the draft and that could easily serve to devalue them all a bit. Finally, there doesn't seem to be much separation between Mack, Unger and Wood. I could just as easily see him being picked third of that group as first, depending upon what a team such as the Steelers, for example, are looking for out of a center.