NFL vs NHL players

drinkTHEkoolaid

Some good points all around. for the most part, hockey players come from much different backgrounds. They are typically middle class and upper from backwoods towns in Canada and Europe. They are less well known and aren't given the star treatment.

Football players, on the other hand, are from mainly urban areas with a higher poverty rate. However with stations like ESPN broadcasting high school games, they become stars at early ages and are given star treatment. A lot of them are celebrities before they turn 20 years old. It is a whole different world for them.

Also as someone else pointed out, 90% of football players are good citizens. However the media loves the flashy stories. Warrick Dunn will never receive as much press as Pacman Jones. This also helps to explain why the NHL has few recognizable players. In the media's eyes, they are boring and lack personality. That doesn't make for good news stories.

You've never lived in Canada. Players are treated like movie stars. Hockey is almost a religion in Canada, hence they are put on a pedestal. Just a better quality person thats all there is to it. Not nearly as much arrogance

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally Speaking (not in every case obviously)

but it seems that hockey players conduct themselves much more professionally and hold themselves to higher standards than football players.

does anyone else agree or disagree? give me reasons why you feel the way you do? This is just my opinion and i'm curious to see what others think as well... bring on intelligent debate!

in my .02 cents i think the vast majority of hockey players were not coddled along like young football stars are. hockey players remeber their parents waking them up at 5am in janurary when its 5degrees outside to go to practice on a saturday morning. They seem much more appreciative, down to earth and humble.

:w00t::w00t:<_<:D

You gotta be kidding? Somebody should tell Daniel Alfredsson that he should really stop trying to open up a Travis Henry/Willis McGaee school for multiple childen with mutiple mothers.

Nice one Alfie!

Should I go on or just stop here?...

;)

However the dumbest athletes are hockey and baseball players - by far! Few have any college education (no matter how superficial) and they, as their sports demanded, traveled a lot in highschool. Ryan Miller is an exception to the general rule.

Baseball players are probably dumber than hockey players. Just a logical observation.

When did "having a college education" ever equate to being intelligent? Being "educated" has little to do with being "intelligent". Jesus Christ, George W. Bush graduated from an Ivy League school. That alone should be proof enough that your little "hypothesis" has no validity.

Buy a dictionary. <_<

A story from a few years back illustrates the point of the original post.

The Florida Panthers used to play in the Miami Arena. The Miami Arena was a great place to watch games, but in a pretty rough neighborhood.

When the Panthers were still playing their games there, a mother and daughter went to a game. After the game, they discovered that they had a flat tire. As time wore on and the parking lot emptied, they got more and more worried about their safety. Ultimately, they were alone in the parking lot (because all of the fans had left) until a couple of Panthers -- John Vanbiesbrouck and someone else happened to come by.

This is the point in the story where one probably could predict what most [insert name of sport] players would do.

In this case, Vanbiesbrouck and the other guy changed the woman's tire themselves.

Then there were the two Tampa Bay Lightening guys (sorry can't remember who) who got busted for mugging a woman last year, right around this time, in Florida.

Hockey players have always been a tight nit community, and they seem to operate undercover... my buddy used to work at Warrens' Steakhouse, in the late 70's, and early 80's. He had some great stories about drunken Sabres, and ex-Sabres... Mike Robataille and Jim Lorentz could drink back in the day.

When did "having a college education" ever equate to being intelligent? Being "educated" has little to do with being "intelligent". Jesus Christ, Dick Jauron graduated from an Ivy League school. That alone should be proof enough that your little "hypothesis" has no validity.

Buy a dictionary. :D

<_<

When did "having a college education" ever equate to being intelligent? Being "educated" has little to do with being "intelligent". Jesus Christ, George W. Bush graduated from an Ivy League school. That alone should be proof enough that your little "hypothesis" has no validity.

Buy a dictionary. :doh:

Jesus Christ went to an Ivy League School?

I do think there is a general corollary between higher intelligence and higher education. It may or may not help "create" intelligence but it sure does help maximize one's potential.

Could you imagine how dumb Bush would sound without that Ivy League education? It is hard to make a retarded monkey complete poorly constructed sentences, so I would say Yale did a great job.

I do think there is a general corollary between higher intelligence and higher education. It may or may not help "create" intelligence but it sure does help maximize one's potential.

Could you imagine how dumb Bush would sound without that Ivy League education? It is hard to make a retarded monkey complete poorly constructed sentences, so I would say Yale did a great job.

No, Jesus actually went to Stanford. He wore gloves.

:cry::w00t::doh::)

You gotta be kidding? Somebody should tell Daniel Alfredsson that he should really stop trying to open up a Travis Henry/Willis McGaee school for multiple childen with mutiple mothers.

Nice one Alfie!

Should I go on or just stop here?...

:lol:

Please, go on. I'm interested to read about all the bad things NHL players do that are on par with what NFL players have been busted for.

There is a general corollary in America between higher finance and higher education and that's pretty much it, but thanks for not trying to continue down that ridiculous path.

Well, you knoo...hockey players just want to give 110% on every shift and let the chips fall where they may. They just take it one game at a time you knoo. Try to get more pucks in the net and create more traffic in front is what the game's aboot. Gotta play all 60 minutes. Work hard and hopefully things will start going your way, you knoo? Sometimes you just don't get the bounces.

<_<

That's what you've got? Child's play. What do you have - an idiot goaltender who wasn't smart enough to not drink and drive and got himself killed, and a hotshot superstar who drove recklessly and got into an accident which killed his teammate.

Pacman Jones ALONE is close to having a worse police record than what you posted.

(FWIW, Henrik and co. had the case dropped on two separate occasions, since there was no evidence that they forced the girl. Is he a little freaky for gangbanging a drunk chick with a couple other Swedish hockey players? Sure. Not criminal, though.)

But once again you miss the point:

but it seems that hockey players conduct themselves much more professionally and hold themselves to higher standards than football players.

The OP did not say that NHL players are choir boys, just that GENERALLY SPEAKING they are less likely to get into trouble or behave in an unprofessional manner than their NFL counterparts.

:censored:

That's what you've got? Child's play. What do you have - an idiot goaltender who wasn't smart enough to not drink and drive and got himself killed, and a hotshot superstar who drove recklessly and got into an accident which killed his teammate.

Pacman Jones ALONE is close to having a worse police record than what you posted.

(FWIW, Henrik and co. had the case dropped on two separate occasions, since there was no evidence that they forced the girl. Is he a little freaky for gangbanging a drunk chick with a couple other Swedish hockey players? Sure. Not criminal, though.)

But once again you miss the point:

The OP did not say that NHL players are choir boys, just that GENERALLY SPEAKING they are less likely to get into trouble or behave in an unprofessional manner than their NFL counterparts.

Oh... There is a bunch more... And I am not saying that one is better than the other... Both leagues have their problems and their type of criminal activity.

Care to ellaborate on what the Montreal Canadiens are going through right now? I am very curious??

I love the spin BM. I can play too... It is the NHL spin machine and their white disturbia followers of the game... :P:lol: And yes, I jest with that elitist stereotype I just made. But, there is a little truth into thoses demographgics of the fans and their players.

Again... Both leagues have their share of problems. The NHL is a marginal league, so you don't really find too much out... The NFL is the highest profile sport... They all act like asses and I refuse to stereotype one over the other like you seem to do. I betcha if you dig, you would find all kinds of crap in the NHL... It is just that nobody cares.

There is something to say about the sport and the types of crimes though. Notice I bolded that and redded the word "types."

Again... They are all equal opportunity asses in both leagues and to say what you said sounds foolish. Just as foolish when I stereotype that all hockey players and fans come from white, elitist background that takes a ton of money to play the sport or get where you want to in the game.

Oh... There is a bunch more... And I am not saying that one is better than the other... Both leagues have their problems and their type of criminal activity.

Care to ellaborate on what the Montreal Canadiens are going through right now? I am very curious??

I love the spin BM. I can play too... It is the NHL spin machine and their white disturbia followers of the game... :lol::worthy: And yes, I jest with that elitist stereotype I just made. But, there is a little truth into thoses demographgics of the fans and their players.

Again... Both leagues have their share of problems. The NHL is a marginal league, so you don't really find too much out... The NFL is the highest profile sport... They all act like asses and I refuse to stereotype one over the other like you seem to do. I betcha if you dig, you would find all kinds of crap in the NHL... It is just that nobody cares.

There is something to say about the sport and the types of crimes though. Notice I bolded that and redded the word "types."

Again... They are all equal opportunity asses in both leagues and to say what you said sounds foolish. Just as foolish when I stereotype that all hockey players and fans come from white, elitist background that takes a ton of money to play the sport or get where you want to in the game.

Right, the NHL spin machine is good enough to cover up all its player's heinous acts, but the NFL's PR department just isn't as good. Got it. Shouldn't have expected anything less from you, but this one is quickly turning into an EiI classic. You miss, ignore or distort the original point, then when you get called on it, you duck, dodge, spin and call people names. Flash over substance, I guess. The only thing your post was missing was a cryptic reference to how things used to be and how that means some current trend or series of events is/are silly or unnecessary.

So to clarify - it's foolish to say that NFL players, who get arrested in in bunches, don't act worse than their NHL counterparts, who have a much lower rate of arrests/unprofessional conduct. Yep, that's crystal clear - I can see why what I posted was foolish. :censored: Nice holier than thou attitude, thou -- "I refuse to stereotype one over the other like you seem to do." OK. :P.

But I'll give you the chance to dig deeper and find all these acts that prove the NHL is AS BAD as the NFL, which once again was the point. Heck, I'd be happy if you could find a couple guys who were half as bad as Pacman, Chris Henry and Tank Johnson. Because if you truly believe that NHL players are as unprofessional and commit as many crimes and infractions as NFL players, then I don't know what to say except take your head out of the sand.

Well, you knoo...hockey players just want to give 110% on every shift and let the chips fall where they may. They just take it one game at a time you knoo. Try to get more pucks in the net and create more traffic in front is what the game's aboot. Gotta play all 60 minutes. Work hard and hopefully things will start going your way, you knoo? Sometimes you just don't get the bounces.

:censored: Thanks, now I'm going to have a Barry Melrose interview in my head for the rest of the day!

I remember reading that a couple years back. Weird story, especially the stuff about the agent's influence over the kid and other players.

ANyway, the point wasn't that NHL players are angels or that they never get into trouble. Just that in comparison to their NFL brethern, NHL players are (generally speaking) in less trouble and tend not to get arrested as much. For every Danton story there are probably three or more NFL players accused of something as bad or worse (Rae Carruth, Ray Lewis and Pacman Jones come to mind in this case).