Jabari Greer Not even mentioned

ganesh

Exactly what I was thinking to a certain extent. Greer might have to take a deal from us that's not what he TRULY wanted, but wouldn't get anywhere else. We might be able to keep him for $3 million a season. Our Secondary would be really good for a while. Greer would be great for us to have in the NCB position against the opponents slot WR.

a $3 million dollar nickel? that's pretty pricey, given the holes we have.

but then again, we are facing the pats 2x a year...

He also could be a guy that wouldn't leave us with a drop-off really if one of our starters went down. We have been plagued the last couple of seasons at key positions.

Pat Kirwain talks about Greer nearly hourly on his show on sirius radio. He believes that Greer is a very good cb that many teams should look at signing. NFL teams are going to do their homework, and when they do they will realize that Greer is a very solid cb. He will fetch a more lucrative contract than most people think.

He also could be a guy that wouldn't leave us with a drop-off really if one of our starters went down. We have been plagued the last couple of seasons at key positions.

hmm. i dunno. he's unrestricted, and i don't think we can offer him enough money as a nickel compared to what other teams are going to throw at him to start. it would be great if he were to remain a bill, however.

FA Cornerbacks

May be Greer will sign with the Bills after all for a lower market value ???

Forget it guys, as much as I'd like to see Greer sign on the cheap, it's not going to happen. Greer was the Bills’ best pure cover man for the last 2 years (yes, he's better than McGee and McKelvin) and he’ll get offers upwards of $6M per season. Just because the Bills don’t realize his value as their best coverage corner doesn’t mean other teams don’t as well.

McGee is a free agent next year. I'd rather have one too many CBs for a year, then let McGee walk because Greer is 26 and starting to peak, while McGee will be 29 by season's start.

Of course it all depends on how comfortable the Bills are with Youboty and Corner behind McKelvin and McGee. I would like the Bills to make him a low offer, something reasonable, then see if he takes it. I don't think Greer is that highly thought of outside of WNY.

I find him very overrated by Bills fans...

That's interesting to hear someone say, I find him woefully underrated. People seem to ignore the fact that Terrence McGee gets beaten regularly week in and week out, while Greer consistently limits the opposing WR to very little productivity.

This is usually where people point out that McGee faces the oppositions #1 WR every week, which is true...for about 65% of the game snaps. If you break it down, Greer spends anywhere from 20 to 25 snaps per game covering the opponents #1 WR, and consistently performs well in that role. He rarely gets beat, and even more rarely do other teams' seek to attack him in the passing game. I must disagree.

Forget it guys, as much as I'd like to see Greer sign on the cheap, it's not going to happen. Greer was the Bills’ best pure cover man for the last 2 years (yes, he's better than McGee and McKelvin) and he’ll get offers upwards of $6M per season. Just because the Bills don’t realize his value as their best coverage corner doesn’t mean other teams don’t as well.

Well I doubt he'll get quite that much but he'll get starters money offered to him.

Then the question becomes, does he like it here so much and have so much loyalty/gratitude to the Bills for making him an undrafted signee that he takes a hometown discount?

When I weigh all the factors I think it's definitely considerably less than 50:50 that he stays although I'd love to see it.

That's interesting to hear someone say, I find him woefully underrated. People seem to ignore the fact that Terrence McGee gets beaten regularly week in and week out, while Greer consistently limits the opposing WR to very little productivity.

This is usually where people point out that McGee faces the oppositions #1 WR every week, which is true...for about 65% of the game snaps. If you break it down, Greer spends anywhere from 20 to 25 snaps per game covering the opponents #1 WR, and consistently performs well in that role. He rarely gets beat, and even more rarely do other teams' seek to attack him in the passing game. I must disagree.

I wouldnt go that far. Mcgee plays at a high level, and is an above average corner. Having said that, I think Greer is also above average.

I personally would like for us to sign him. If we can have him for $5million a year, and trade Mcgee away this year, that would be an ideal situation.

That's sort of the direction that I'd like to see the team go as well. McGee's a free agent next year, so why not resign Greer and then try and trade our oldest corner next year? I don't think that the dropoff in talent is much when you look at McGee, Greer, and an up & coming McKelvin. You could even make the case that Youboty would have outplayed everyone last year based on his start in 2008.

I think that the question the Bills need to answer is do they keep Greer this year or McGee next year. To me it makes more sense to trade McGee since you could get something in return for him, because we don't need his kick return skills anymore, and because he's the oldest of our corners.

I'd take McKelvin and Greer over McGee and McKelvin.

Regardless, offenses these days line up in multiple wide receiver sets on more than 50% of snaps. So you need to have at least three good, dependable cornerbacks.

If only we could be assured that Yobouty could stay healthy...or that Reggie Corner will build on his promising rookie glimpses. It's a calculated risk that the Bills might take.

That's sort of the direction that I'd like to see the team go as well. McGee's a free agent next year, so why not resign Greer and then try and trade our oldest corner next year? I don't think that the dropoff in talent is much when you look at McGee, Greer, and an up & coming McKelvin. You could even make the case that Youboty would have outplayed everyone last year based on his start in 2008.

I think that the question the Bills need to answer is do they keep Greer this year or McGee next year. To me it makes more sense to trade McGee since you could get something in return for him, because we don't need his kick return skills anymore, and because he's the oldest of our corners.

Yes, this scenario has been talked about. On some level it makes good sense to "bridge" the expense for another year and make a decision next year.

The only thing we don't know is if the Bills were to do that how it might affect how much else they do in free agency. Would it hamstring our ability to fill another need?

It's a very interesting discussion.

Regardless, offenses these days line up in multiple wide receiver sets on more than 50% of snaps. So you need to have at least three good, dependable cornerbacks.

If only we could be assured that Yobouty could stay healthy...

Don't forget about Reggie Corner. He looked awfully good in his last few games. That game against Cutler, He had at least 4 pass breakups, he seemed to have gained lots of confidence down the stretch. He plays aggressive and his coverage is tight from what I saw. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up having a significant role in our defense next year.

Don't forget about Reggie Corner. He looked awfully good in his last few games. That game against Cutler, He had at least 4 pass breakups, he seemed to have gained lots of confidence down the stretch. He plays aggressive and his coverage is tight from what I saw. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up having a significant role in our defense next year.

You're right, I would say the likelihood of keeping Greer is probably about 25% between the financial ramifications and the Corner/Yobouty factor.

FA Cornerbacks

May be Greer will sign with the Bills after all for a lower market value ???

According to the insider on Billszone he's not gonna get re-signed by Buffalo. ;)

Agreed.

McGee is a free agent next year. I'd rather have one too many CBs for a year, then let McGee walk because Greer is 26 and starting to peak, while McGee will be 29 by season's start.

Of course it all depends on how comfortable the Bills are with Youboty and Corner behind McKelvin and McGee. I would like the Bills to make him a low offer, something reasonable, then see if he takes it. I don't think Greer is that highly thought of outside of WNY.

Maybe by people who don't watch film.

Well stated, I agree.