Who needs to read a bill before voting on it anyway

/dev/null

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes. ~Walt Whitman

I bought a house without having a lawyer or reading the contract (I eventually did read it)... Been almost 15 years now... Not one problem from the builder or whomever... If I am still living there, I probably will have it 40 years from now also.

Maybe I trust too much? We did it the other way for 8 years and got burned, what's the harm? You can tell me: "I told you so" if you want later.

~VM

Chop that wood

Carry water

What's the sound of one hand clapping

Enlightenment, don't know what it is

Every second, every minute

It keeps changing to something different

It says it's non attachment

Non attachment. non attachment

I'm in the here and now, and I'm meditating

And still I'm suffering but that's my problem

Wake up

Enlightenment says the world is nothing

Nothing but a dream, everything's an illusion

And nothing is real

Good or bad baby

You can change it anyway you want

You can rearrange it

Chop that wood

And carry water

What's the sound of one hand clapping

All around baby. you can see

You're making your own reality. everyday because

One more time

Enlightenment. don't know what it is

It's up to you

Enlightenment. don't know what it is

It's up to you everyday

It's always up to you

It's up to you, the way you think

I bought a house without having a lawyer or reading the contract (I eventually did read it)...

Reading the lease on an apartment I rented years ago, helped me skip out of it 6 months early. The landlord was adamant that I could not vacate early. Called our local bar association and the person I talked to suggested reading the lease and seeing if there was anything in there that the landlord had violated. Turns out there were four items they were not following, three which had to deal with 'repairs being done in a reasonable time'. Sent them a certified letter, never heard back that they would fight me on it, so I moved out.

I bought a house without having a lawyer or reading the contract (I eventually did read it)... Been almost 15 years now... Not one problem from the builder or whomever... If I am still living there, I probably will have it 40 years from now also.

Maybe I trust too much? We did it the other way for 8 years and got burned, what's the harm? You can tell me: "I told you so" if you want later.

Seriously? Seriously!?!? You don't see any difference between you (potentially) screwing YOURSELF, and our elected officials (potentially) screwing millions of OTHERS who had no say in this? Really? It's really OK for you that there was NOT A CHANCE that our elected officials read this thing and are spending $800 billion? Your reaction is: "Ahh, whatever... I didn't read my contract, so why the hell should Congressmen do it?"

1100 pages in 12 hours. I believe I could get through 1/3 to 1/2 of it, if I don't fall asleep first.

He had plenty of time, there was nothing new, the knuckle head should get off his schtick, quit smoking, leave the tanning booth and massage parlors and do something. All the pieces in this legislation were written and completed weeks ago. The only left was what was going to kept in or pulled out.

Boehner is a lazy arrogant piece of crap and not even that good a politician... Even the Gingrich/Delay crowd realized that and marginalized him. Now he is pulling A-Rod style bush league theatrics that don't mean anything. But hey really, what has Congress got to do with helping out the economy anyway.... Very few of them could find their rear orifice even if you handed them a flash light and a map, so why should he be any different.

He had plenty of time, there was nothing new, the knuckle head should get off his schtick, quit smoking, leave the tanning booth and massage parlors and do something. All the pieces in this legislation were written and completed weeks ago. The only left was what was going to kept in or pulled out.

Boehner is a lazy arrogant piece of crap and not even that good a politician... Even the Gingrich/Delay crowd realized that and marginalized him. Now he is pulling A-Rod style bush league theatrics that don't mean anything. But hey really, what has Congress got to do with helping out the economy anyway.... Very few of them could find their rear orifice even if you handed them a flash light and a map, so why should he be any different.

Theatrics aside, you honestly don't have any problem with the largest spending bill ever rushed to the floor for a vote? This is nuts! Who knows what was thrown into the bill at the last moment. 1100+ pages of this...there's all kinds of opportunity for the Left (in this case) to insert whatever crap they wanted at the last minute. I've heard that the bill actually contained text inserted in the margins! Why not give additional time to consider it. Oh and by the way, it also contains gun control language. I'm sure that will stimulate the economy. ;)

I don't think you're being honest if you can't see the problem with the rush to vote.

Seriously? Seriously!?!? You don't see any difference between you (potentially) screwing YOURSELF, and our elected officials (potentially) screwing millions of OTHERS who had no say in this? Really? It's really OK for you that there was NOT A CHANCE that our elected officials read this thing and are spending $800 billion? Your reaction is: "Ahh, whatever... I didn't read my contract, so why the hell should Congressmen do it?"

Yep.

Same thing with say the spending on the war. No need to read it dollar for dollar. I just know that I am aganist that type of spending in general.

Sorry for "ballparking".

Both sides of the fence... Be it 6 years ago or today... People are too narotic about every crossed T and dotted I. So what about sod on the Mall lawn, IMO it is better than bullets.

There are fundemental issues here. We will find out in the end if this stimulus will go down in vain as the colossal waste the Iraq war did.

All I am saying is let it roll... You can crucify me leter IF I am wrong... But for now I am "ballparking"

Remember this post, I am not saying it will work or not... Just remember this post... Bookmark it.

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes. ~Walt Whitman

Sheer genius as always, Eric.

Yep.

Same thing with say the spending on the war. No need to read it dollar for dollar. I just know that I am aganist that type of spending in general.

Sorry for "ballparking".

Both sides of the fence... Be it 6 years ago or today... People are too narotic about every crossed T and dotted I. So what about sod on the Mall lawn, IMO it is better than bullets.

There are fundemental issues here. We will find out in the end if this stimulus will go down in vain as the colossal waste the Iraq war did.

All I am saying is let it roll... You can crucify me leter IF I am wrong... But for now I am "ballparking"

Remember this post, I am not saying it will work or not... Just remember this post... Bookmark it.

I have NO problem with YOU supporting / not supporting this bill without having read everything. I have a very big problem with elected officials spending any amount of money without knowing where every single dollar is going. Isn't that their job?

You wouldn't have a problem with your lawyer if your contract was messed up and forced you to lose your house? It would be OK because he 'ballparked' it, and, for the most part, it looked pretty decent?

Theatrics aside, you honestly don't have any problem with the largest spending bill ever rushed to the floor for a vote? This is nuts! Who knows what was thrown into the bill at the last moment. 1100+ pages of this...there's all kinds of opportunity for the Left (in this case) to insert whatever crap they wanted at the last minute. I've heard that the bill actually contained text inserted in the margins! Why not give additional time to consider it. Oh and by the way, it also contains gun control language. I'm sure that will stimulate the economy. ;)

I don't think you're being honest if you can't see the problem with the rush to vote.

This crap happens all the time and I am sure the stuff that gets inserted at the last moment and can be stripped out just as easily if Boehner would just do his job. He has plenty of young staff that have expertise in each section and work 18-24 hour days that can point in large block lettering so even Boehner can read it any objectionable sections. But since Republican's answers to the stimulus of more tax breaks for banks and corporation, what is the difference.

Right now a short term stimulus of 2 years is what needs to happen until the economy and the bank losses can be weeded out. I still think the mortgage crisis needs to be more effectively addressed but tax breaks for executive bonuses does not generate minus the trillions we have and are wasting in Iraq. so how do you think buying a little time is such a bad thing, now that we dug ourselves such a big hole that has begun to spiral. The first thing to do is slow down the spiraling, and then get everything back under control. But you go on believing that right now letting everything sink or swim on its own merits is the right answer. That and a quarter will be barely even buy you a bubble gum ball these day... forget about a cup of coffee.

This crap happens all the time and I am sure the stuff that gets inserted at the last moment and can be stripped out just as easily if Boehner would just do his job. He has plenty of young staff that have expertise in each section and work 18-24 hour days that can point in large block lettering so even Boehner can read it any objectionable sections. But since Republican's answers to the stimulus of more tax breaks for banks and corporation, what is the difference.

Right now a short term stimulus of 2 years is what needs to happen until the economy and the bank losses can be weeded out. I still think the mortgage crisis needs to be more effectively addressed but tax breaks for executive bonuses does not generate minus the trillions we have and are wasting in Iraq. so how do you think buying a little time is such a bad thing, now that we dug ourselves such a big hole that has begun to spiral. The first thing to do is slow down the spiraling, and then get everything back under control. But you go on believing that right now letting everything sink or swim on its own merits is the right answer. That and a quarter will be barely even buy you a bubble gum ball these day... forget about a cup of coffee.

Do you not understand that Republicans were locked out of the final negotiations for the bill? How could Boehners staffers read 1100 pages when the bill wasn't even printed until midnight on the eve of the vote? You're usually a balanced poster who, while liberal leaning, tends to call a spade a spade. I respect you for that and the fact that one can have a informed debate without the usual partisian blinders (unlike the usual suspects). However, in this case, I think you've put the blinders back on.

For the record, I am not against a smaller bill that would've focused more specifically on infrastructure, but this schit sammich is not the answer. I do not like the fact that the Congress did not have a chance to review the final bill. As was opined above, if this was such an emergency, why is The One taking four days to sign it? I thought we didn't have a minute to spare?

Id like those who are defending this nonsense to tell me why its OK that unlike all previous bills put before Congress for YEARS now, this one was distributed ON PAPER and not on an easily searchable PDF.

I heard the copy put on some Congresscritters websites was a barely readable faxed copy, full of cross outs, and redlines.

Lets hear it.....

Id like those who are defending this nonsense to tell me why its OK that unlike all previous bills put before Congress for YEARS now, this one was distributed ON PAPER and not on an easily searchable PDF.

I heard the copy put on some Congresscritters websites was a barely readable faxed copy, full of cross outs, and redlines.

Lets hear it.....

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/02/14/flas...-signing-bills/

Check out the video. lol