Browns are trying to trade Derek Anderson

bananathumb

And that "year" wasn't even. Look at the game logs, he completely faded down the stretch after the hot start to 2007. I really don't understand how people who don't like Edwards think they will be happy with Anderson. Overall career stats look pretty similar to me and Edwards has at least moved in the right direction while Anderson has gotten worse. Maybe we ought to just stick with the guy whose already on the team, huh?

The problem here is that Trent got worse, not better, as you like to see it in your post. So bringing someone in who could push him for the starting spot might help elevate Trents game.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem here is that Trent got worse, not better, as you like to see it in your post. So bringing someone in who could push him for the starting spot might help elevate Trents game.

Trent was in his "second" year as a starter- even if you have a good team, you still tend to struggle at that point. Even if you have the immortal Roscoe Parrish, who is Wes Welker, Deacon Jones and Eddie Munster all rolled into one

Trent was in his "second" year as a starter- even if you have a good team, you still tend to struggle at that point. Even if you have the immortal Roscoe Parrish, who is Wes Welker, Deacon Jones and Eddie Munster all rolled into one

So was D. Anderson...

Lets compare the first 24 games of D. Anderson's career vs. the first 24 games for Trent's career as thats all he has, and D. Anderson has only 31 games total, but rather than look his totals since he has more games, lets compare the first 24 to Trents first 24...

Number of games passing for MORE than 200 yards:

Trent: 9 times

Derek: 13 times

Number of 300yrd + games:

Trent: 0

Derek: 3

Number of MULTI TD (more than 1) games:

Trent: 3 (out of 24 games, just 3)

Derek: 13

Games with ZERO passing TD's:

Trent: 11 (almost HALF of his games he has ZERO passing TD's)

Derek: 5

Total TD's during this span:

Trent: 18

Derek: 37

Total INT's during this span:

Trent: Only 18

Derek: 33

TD:INT Ratio:

Trent: 1:1

Derek 1.12:1

Passing yards during this span:

Trent: 4,329 (Only 180.38 per game)

Derek: 5,123 (213.46 per game)

Number of times sacked:

Trent: 35

Derek: 30

So with an indepth analysis of the two QB's who have had similar paths, Derek grossly outperforms Trent in almost every category. The only category Trent has better than Derek in is INT's, but even with that, Derek still has a better TD to INT ratio. This is also grossly affected by Derek's more daring approach to push the ball down field while Trent tends to dump off safe underneath routes more often.

So, how exactly is Trent superior and how is a guy who averages just 180 yards per game, and has thrown for less than 200 yards in a game in almost 50% of his starts as a Buffalo Bill somehow our savior and answer at QB? You want to really get sick to your stomach, compare the first 24 starts of Cutler, Rivers, and some other young QB's in the league, and you will see Trent is near the bottom every time.

He has NOT been very good to this point...he may be good TOMORROW, but he wasnt very good YESTERDAY and actually got worse as the season went on. So I for one would welcome a QB like Derek who has statistically outperformed Trent in just about every way, even less sacks, who could ultimately push Trent for the starting gig...

Lets compare the first 24 games of D. Anderson's career vs. the first 24 games career as thats all Trent has, and D. Anderson has only 31 games total, but rather than look his totals since he has more games, lets compare the first 24 to Trents first 24...

Number of 300yrd + games:

Trent: 0

Derek: 3

Number of MULTI TD (more than 1) games:

Trent: 3 (out of 24 games, just 3)

Derek: 13

Games with ZERO passing TD's:

Trent: 11 (almost HALF of his games he has ZERO passing TD's)

Derek: 5

Total TD's during this span:

Derek: 37

Total INT's during this span:

Trent: Only 18

Derek: 33

Derek 1.12:1

Passing yards during this span:

Trent: 4,329 (Only 180.38 per game)

Derek: 5,123 (213.46 per game)

Number of times sacked:

Trent: 35

Derek: 30

So with an indepth analysis of the two QB's who have had similar paths, Derek grossly outperforms Trent in almost every category. The only category Trent has better than Derek in is INT's, but even with that, Derek still has a better TD to INT ratio. This is also grossly affected by Derek's more daring approach to push the ball down field while Trent tends to dump off safe underneath routes more often.

So, how exactly is Trent superior and how is a guy who averages just 180 yards per game, and has thrown for less than 200 yards in a game in almost 50% of his starts as a Buffalo Bill somehow our savior and answer at QB? You want to really get sick to your stomach, compare the first 24 starts of Cutler, Rivers, and some other young QB's in the league, and you will see Trent is near the bottom every time.

He has NOT been very good to this point...he may be good TOMORROW, but he wasnt very good YESTERDAY and actually got worse as the season went on. So I for one would welcome a QB like Derek who has statistically outperformed Trent in just about every way, even less sacks, who could ultimately push Trent for the starting gig...

Good Post, I didn't realize Andersons #'s were that good. I say sign him if the price is right, especially if they throw Winslow in with the deal. :)

Whats Trents TD:INT ratio, fumbles, and sacks taken? Let me save you some time looking it up...its not very good.

I know. I'm not sold on him either. I just think that Culpepper and Kitna are poor choices, even as "mentors" to Trent.

Good Post, I didn't realize Andersons #'s were that good. I say sign him if the price is right, especially if they throw Winslow in with the deal. :thumbsup:

No, it's not a good post. And please tell me you are smarter than to be duped by his cherry picked stats over a completely meaningless period of time. Why is he harping on mostly meaningless stats like "multi TD games" and "zero TD games"? Meanwhile he ignores completion %, QB rating and even wins/losses? And what is with the time frame of "first 24 games"? Why would you not compare the last 24 games? To include Anderson's stats from 2006 and not 2008 is just plain stupid, not to mention dishonest. So let's try it again:

Stats over the last 24 games:

Team Record:

Trent: 12-12

Derek: 12-12

Number of games with QB rating > 80:

Trent: 11

Derek: 9

Completion %:

Trent: 62%

Derek: 54%

Yards per Attempt:

Trent: 6.73

Derek: 6.53

Total TDs:

Derek: 32

Total INTs:

Derek: 25

Derek 1.25:1

Passing yards:

Trent: 4,329 (180 avg)

Derek: 4,890 (204 avg)

Hmmm....not so one sided anymore is it? But wait, let's not stop here. Alpha contends that Trent is getting worse, and thinks Anderson is a superior option. So let's put that theory to the test by comparing Trent's 2008 season (14 games) against Anderson's last 14 games:

Stats over the last 14 games:

Team Record:

Trent: 7-7

Derek: 6-8

Trent: 8

Derek: 4

Completion %:

Trent: 66%

Derek: 51% (worst in the NFL!)

Trent: 4 times

Derek: 7 times

Yards per Attempt:

Trent: 7.22

Derek: 5.79 (2d worst in the NFL!)

Total TDs:

Derek: 14

Total INTs:

Trent: 10

Trent: 1.1:1

Derek 1.0:1

Passing yards:

Trent: 2,699 (193 avg; over 200 if you exclude the AZ game where he was hurt first series)

Derek: 2,340 (only 167 avg)

QB Rating - 2008 season only:

Trent: 85.4

Derek 66.5 (worst in the NFL!)

Wow! Isn't it amazing how the picture changes. Fact is that Anderson is a boom or bust player, and the vast majority of his booms took place in the first half of 2007. Almost every one of Anderson's stats regressed in 2008 (why do you guys think he got benched?) while Trent's have stayed steady or improved. Give Trent a TE like Winslow and the comparison is even more distorted. To suggest that Anderson is worth actually trading for and picking up his contract is simply indefensible.

No, it's not a good post. And please tell me you are smarter than to be duped by his cherry picked stats over a completely meaningless period of time. Why is he harping on mostly meaningless stats like "multi TD games" and "zero TD games"? Meanwhile he ignores completion %, QB rating and even wins/losses? And what is with the time frame of "first 24 games"? Why would you not compare the last 24 games? To include Anderson's stats from 2006 and not 2008 is just plain stupid, not to mention dishonest. So let's try it again:

Team Record:

Completion %:

Yards per Attempt:

Total TDs:

Total INTs:

Passing yards:

Hmmm....not so one sided anymore is it? But wait, let's not stop here. Alpha contends that Trent is getting worse, and thinks Anderson is a superior option. So let's put that theory to the test by comparing Trent's 2008 season (14 games) against Anderson's last 14 games:

Team Record:

Completion %:

Yards per Attempt:

Total TDs:

Total INTs:

Passing yards:

Trent: 2,699 (193 avg; over 200 if you exclude the AZ game where he was hurt first series)

Wow! Isn't it amazing how the picture changes. Fact is that Anderson is a boom or bust player, and the vast majority of his booms took place in the first half of 2007. Almost every one of Anderson's stats regressed in 2008 (why do you guys think he got benched?) while Trent's have stayed steady or improved. Give Trent a TE like Winslow and the comparison is even more distorted. To suggest that Anderson is worth actually trading for and picking up his contract is simply indefensible.

Wow, outstanding post KD. And as I recently pointed out on another post, we've not even gotten into the discussion of supporting casts where Cleveland's O-line and receivers are better than ours (we have the advantage at running back although Jamaal Lewis was superb in 2007 when Anderson had his big year). Can we not argue about the supporting cast thing though? Thanks.

Here's some more numbers for a long thread which is chock full of opinions but lacking in facts:

Derek Anderson's Contract Info:

2/29/2008: Signed a three-year, $24 million contract. The deal contains $14.5 million in guarantees, including a $7 million signing bonus. Another $1 million is available through incentives based on Pro Bowls and performance. 2009: $1.45 million (+ $5 million roster bonus due in March), 2010: $7.45 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2011: Free Agent

So Anderson's cap figure with the amortized portion of his signing bonus is $8.78 million in 2009 and $11.78 million in 2010.

Maybe we should start the discussion over again.

Derek Anderson is FAR worse than Edwards under pressure- he blows games behind a good line with good WR's.

What a stupid comeback and another typical Trent supporter trying to manipulate the stats to support trent! First off, why did I include the 2006 stats for Derek? What a stupid question...Trent has ONLY played 24 games, so I picked the first 24 games for Derek too...we are talking about the FIRST 24 games of Trents career...so I have to COMPARE TO THE SAME TIME FRAME FOR DEREK...otherwise I could just pick the best 24 game stretch for Payton Manning and compare that to Trent...it makes no sense...

To use any games AFTER his first 24 would be dishonest becuase its a comparison of the first 24 of trents career...NICE TRY!

And last I checked the NFL was scoring points and it required the QB to be productive and I compared PRODUCTION STATS...How can you say how many times a QB passes for ZERO TD's is not relevant? How can you say the times an NFL QB passes for LESS than 200 yards is not relevant? How can you say how many times a QB was able to produce more than ONE measly TD in a game is not relevant? These were all cries about JP, but now you same people make excuses for Trent...

Completion percentage...please...thats the hat you want to hang your Trent is so great argument on? Go ahead, I will take the more than DOUBLE TD production...Not to mention Dereks willingness to try and get the ball down field to his WR's and how often the Cle WR's drop passes affect Dereks completion percentage, while Trents is upped by his tendency to throw short safe throws on check downs that dont advance the sticks...

Team Record:

Completion %:

Yards per Attempt:

Total TDs:

Total INTs:

Passing yards:

Team Record:

Completion %:

Yards per Attempt:

Total TDs:

Total INTs:

Passing yards:

Everything in this post is a joke and 100% unusable! Where do get the notion you can choose ANY 24 game stretch and compare it to Trents? Trent has played 24 games ONLY, so you have to compare the same stretch for another QB...the FIRST 24 GAMES....NICE TRY ON ONCE AGAIN MANIPULATING THE STATS TO BOOST TRENT...WHAT A JOKE.

Hey, lets compare Brees last 24 games, or Payton Mannings, or how about Tom Bradys...geezus, the lengths Trent lovers will go to try and make him look better astound me...if you want to play that game, I can destroy any stats of Trents by pulling the last 24 games of Cutler, Rivers, either Manning, Warner, McNabb, Brady, Brees, or even Cassel...

Trent has ONLY 24 games under his belt and the only accurate comparison is to look at the first 24 games of any other QB...but go ahead, manipulate it any way you want, IT STILL DOESNT CHANGE trents production.

What a stupid comeback and another typical Trent supporter trying to manipulate the stats to support trent! First off, why did I include the 2006 stats for Derek? What a stupid question...Trent has ONLY played 24 games, so I picked the first 24 games for Derek too...we are talking about the FIRST 24 games of Trents career...so I have to COMPARE TO THE SAME TIME FRAME FOR DEREK...otherwise I could just pick the best 24 game stretch for Payton Manning and compare that to Trent...it makes no sense...

To use any games AFTER his first 24 would be dishonest becuase its a comparison of the first 24 of trents career...NICE TRY!

And last I checked the NFL was scoring points and it required the QB to be productive and I compared PRODUCTION STATS...How can you say how many times a QB passes for ZERO TD's is not relevant? How can you say the times an NFL QB passes for LESS than 200 yards is not relevant? How can you say how many times a QB was able to produce more than ONE measly TD in a game is not relevant? These were all cries about JP, but now you same people make excuses for Trent...

Completion percentage...please...thats the hat you want to hang your Trent is so great argument on? Go ahead, I will take the more than DOUBLE TD production...Not to mention Dereks willingness to try and get the ball down field to his WR's and how often the Cle WR's drop passes affect Dereks completion percentage, while Trents is upped by his tendency to throw short safe throws on check downs that dont advance the sticks...

You do realize that you are arguing abotu a QB that helped led the Browns to any amzing 14.5 points/ game per season.

Team Record:

Completion %:

Yards per Attempt:

Total TDs:

Total INTs:

Passing yards:

Team Record:

Completion %:

Yards per Attempt:

Total TDs:

Total INTs:

Passing yards:

You are correct about stats & I have always hated them. I would much rather judge with my own eyes than read stats from a page. I would agree, if traded Andersons contract would have to be reworked. I really don't see any good options for a QB, The most important stat in my opinion is TD's, that is the problem I have with Trent aside from his health issues.

Wow, outstanding post KD. And as I recently pointed out on another post, we've not even gotten into the discussion of supporting casts where Cleveland's O-line and receivers are better than ours (we have the advantage at running back although Jamaal Lewis was superb in 2007 when Anderson had his big year). Can we not argue about the supporting cast thing though? Thanks.

Here's some more numbers for a long thread which is chock full of opinions but lacking in facts:

Derek Anderson's Contract Info:

2/29/2008: Signed a three-year, $24 million contract. The deal contains $14.5 million in guarantees, including a $7 million signing bonus. Another $1 million is available through incentives based on Pro Bowls and performance. 2009: $1.45 million (+ $5 million roster bonus due in March), 2010: $7.45 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2011: Free Agent

So Anderson's cap figure with the amortized portion of his signing bonus is $8.78 million in 2009 and $11.78 million in 2010.

Maybe we should start the discussion over again.

This always happens...I show some stats on Trent and it turns into such an uproar as no one wants to face the facts that it starts to look like I am supporting the topic (in this case D. Anderson) and running Trent out of town...I didnt even start this thread...

I totally agree D. Anderson has a high cap figure, and any acquisition would be best done with a reworked contract. I am not even saying D. Anderson should be our guy as I am in NO WAY sold on him either...when I post the comparative stats, it was in response to those saying how bad he is and how great Trent is. All I was saying, how can you say that when the guy has clearly out produced Trent. Sure he struggled in 2008, but Trent regressed too...

I only said, it would be nice to get a guy who has shown on the field he has potential who could PUSH trent for the starting job. I am in no way saying that Trent is worse or better than Derek...but Derek showed plenty of promise in his first 31 games and he also has had some struggles...not much unlike Trent this year when he regressed as a young QB.

And my original post into this thread was not to go out and get Derek, but asked what if we could get Derek and Winslow in a pacakage deal as both are likely to be on the market?

This always happens...I show some stats on Trent and it turns into such an uproar as no one wants to face the facts that it starts to look like I am supporting the topic (in this case D. Anderson) and running Trent out of town...I didnt even start this thread...

I totally agree D. Anderson has a high cap figure, and any acquisition would be best done with a reworked contract. I am not even saying D. Anderson should be our guy as I am in NO WAY sold on him either...when I post the comparative stats, it was in response to those saying how bad he is and how great Trent is. All I was saying, how can you say that when the guy has clearly out produced Trent. Sure he struggled in 2008, but Trent regressed too...

I only said, it would be nice to get a guy who has shown on the field he has potential who could PUSH trent for the starting job. I am in no way saying that Trent is worse or better than Derek...but Derek showed plenty of promise in his first 31 games and he also has had some struggles...not much unlike Trent this year when he regressed as a young QB.

And my original post into this thread was not to go out and get Derek, but asked what if we could get Derek and Winslow in a pacakage deal as both are likely to be on the market?

Your obsession for thrashing Trent is becoming creepy. :thumbsup:

Hey, what happened to your reliance on 'facts' and 'stats'? I see you've replaced that with stamping your feet after your premise has been shot to hell. :thumbsup:

Who the hell cares about 'after 24 games'? Isn't the point to see who is the better QB now?? And wouldn't recent stats be the best indicator of that?? Duh.

Unlike you I don't "hang my hat" on individual stats. Unlike you I understand that Anderson was a flash in the pan who has spiraled downward for 2 years and I was able to provide a wide range of stats to prove that (none of which you've attempted to refute -- funny how you were just crowing about this in another thread). To blame his woes on "dropped passes" when he's surrounded by talent like B. Edwards and Winslow is just laughable. But you keep harping on that huge "production" of 14 TDs last year while he finished at or near the bottom of the league in virtually every passing category.

Your crusade is getting old.