Vanek out 3-4 weeks...

Buftex

Looks like the Sabres hopes of having their first 50 goal scorer took a big hit last night... Vanek has a busted jaw...

The Sabres have been playing much better hockey in this calender year...I hope this isn't a huge setback. Connolly has been amazing, and he isn't even completely healthy yet (will he ever be?).

Tough break. But I am optimistic that Vanek is back sooner than later. He is a tough kid, and playing tougher all the time.

Looks like the Sabres hopes of having their first 50 goal scorer took a big hit last night... Vanek has a busted jaw...

The Sabres have been playing much better hockey in this calender year...I hope this isn't a huge setback. Connolly has been amazing, and he isn't even completely healthy yet (will he ever be?).

Tough break. But I am optimistic that Vanek is back sooner than later. He is a tough kid, and playing tougher all the time.

Gare scored 50 in 79 games in 75-76.

Mogilny?

Gare scored 50 in 79 games in 75-76.

Sorry, I meant to write "their first 50 goal scorer" in years...I realize, Rick Martin, Gilbert Perrualt, Danny Gare, Pat LaFontaine and Alex Mogilny (and maybe a few others that aren't coming to mind) accopmplished this... it has just been kind of nice to see a Sabre player amongst the leauges top goal scorers....

Sorry, I meant to write "their first 50 goal scorer" in years...I realize, Rick Martin, Gilbert Perrualt, Danny Gare, Pat LaFontaine and Alex Mogilny (and maybe a few others that aren't coming to mind) accopmplished this... it has just been kind of nice to see a Sabre player amongst the leauges top goal scorers....

Gilbert Perrualt 50 goals? Going off memory, not a goggle search. He was a center and was more assists than goals,and I don't recall him hiting 50 goals.I may be wrong. However I do remember the proper way to pronounce his name was JILL-BEAR-PURO! If you were Ted Darling.

Gilbert Perrualt 50 goals? Going off memory, not a goggle search. He was a center and was more assists than goals,and I don't recall him hiting 50 goals.I may be wrong. However I do remember the proper way to pronounce his name was JILL-BEAR-PURO! If you were Ted Darling.

You are correct - the closest Gil came was 44 in 75-76. (He also chipped in 69 A for 113 points.) He did score 40+ three times and had seven 30-goal seasons.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4248

I was hoping to see Vanek skate.

I know you aren't implying Vanek is a good skater. I'm guessing you were hoping to see him score, or at least do something cool attempting to score. His skating leaves something to be desired.

Thanks for all the corrections guys, I knew I could count on you all.... :thumbsup:

That being said, if this team is going to continue to progress (and they are playing pretty damn well as of late), who do you think picks up the scoring slack? All of the sudden, getting rid of Connolly doesn't seem like such a forgone conclusion...the way the Sabres were playing, I was starting to get a feeling they might actually sneak up into one of the top 4 seeds for the playoffs.

I know you aren't implying Vanek is a good skater. I'm guessing you were hoping to see him score, or at least do something cool attempting to score. His skating leaves something to be desired.

I think the term "I wanted to see Vanek skate" implies "I wanted to see Vanek play", not actually anything about his skating abilities.

Come to think of it, didn't Andeychuk have a 50 goal season the year we traded him to Toronto? I don't remember how many of his goals came in Buffalo, but I think he fininshed that season with more than 50 for the two teams combined.

Think of all the great Sabres who had 50 or more, while in other uniforms. Ray Sheppard (the original Alex Kotalik) had 50 for the Red Wings, after leaving Buffalo...

Come to think of it, didn't Andeychuk have a 50 goal season the year we traded him to Toronto? I don't remember how many of his goals came in Buffalo, but I think he fininshed that season with more than 50 for the two teams combined.

Think of all the great Sabres who had 50 or more, while in other uniforms. Ray Sheppard (the original Alex Kotalik) had 50 for the Red Wings, after leaving Buffalo...

Yep. 29 in Buffalo, 25 in Toronto for 54 on the year. He also played 83 regular-season games that year.

Andy hit 53 the following season and never cracked 30 again for the rest of his career.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=80

LaFontaine would put on a full face mask and be out there next game.

That is what I am thinking... Can't they wire his jaw and put a full mask on him! :thumbsup::thumbdown:

I mean... The jaw is wired... It isn't going anywhere... And even with concussion... Isn't that caused by the lower jaw slamming against the upper and causing a bruise on the brain... Where are things gonna go wired?

Of course I jest a little... :thumbdown::thumbdown: Get better TV!!!