Need for OT's Will Benefit Bills

Astrobot

I have been looking at mocks for a while, looking at team needs in Round 1 up to our pick. I have come to the conclusion that the demand for OT is going to shape this draft and the picks that fall to us.

1. Detroit Lions | Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia

OT's actually are avoided for the first 2 picks. Lions need a ready-for-prime time QB.

2. St. Louis Rams | Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

Think about Avery and Crabtree like you did Holt and Bruce.

3. Kansas City Chiefs | Andre Smith, OT, Alabama **** OT #1****

Brandon Albert and Andre Smith is the beginning of a very good line. Thigpen isn't the problem.

4. Seattle Seahawks | Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia**** OT #2****

Monroe goes unless Crabtree falls.

5. Cleveland Browns | Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest

McGinest is about done, and Curry can line up as DE/OLB.

6. Cincinnati Bengals | Jason Smith, OT, Baylor**** OT #3****

They have to protect Palmer better. I don't think they reach for a RB this early.

7. Oakland Raiders | Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn St.

Maybin is probably this year's best rusher. They could take the 4th OT here, sending Maybin to the Packers, 49'ers, Bills.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars | Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri

Del Rio wants Maualuga or Maclin, but losing Houshmanzadeh (to the Bills) makes it Maclin!

9. Green Bay Packers | Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn St.

The shift to 3-4 makes this Maybin over the more 4-3 Orakpo and D-Tackle BJ Raji-- pending the Raiders OT vs. DE pick.

10. San Francisco 49ers | Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio St.

Singletary wants a defensive player, either DE, OLB, or CB. Some say QB Sanchez goes here. 49'ers take the top corner.

11. Buffalo Bills |

See how nice all those OT decision make it for us? Left on the board:

---Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

---Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

---Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas

---B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College

---Everette Brown, DE, Florida St.

And with the #11 pick, the Bills take...

I'd say given those choices, even with Maualuga on the board, you go with Raji. Raji-Stroud helps your pathetic pass rush, and he'd probably be the Broncos' pick at #12. I'd also do this because there won't be any worthy DT's at our pick at the top of Round 2, and there would be DE's (Ayers, Conner Barwin), OLB's (English), and OC's (Mack, Unger) in Round 2. A twosome like Raji-Stroud can make overpaid DE's look better.

Astro

Well with this still left on the board. i could definatly see them taking Raji. But the more i keep thinkin about it. dont be surprised to see the bills take at least 3 defensive ends in this draft. much like they did last year on corners. Coach Moron Juron is a defensive coach , and he will want plenty of competition at the postition. mark my words. this will be a defensive heavy draft for us. they will look offense in Free agency, even if it is a hasbeen like they always do....

Well with this still left on the board. i could definatly see the taki Raji. But the more i keep thinkin abot it. dont be surprised to see the bills take at least 3 defensive ends in this draft. much like they did last year on corners. Juron is a defensive coach , and he will want plenty of competition at the postition. mark my words. this will be a defensive heavy draft for us. they will look offense in Free agency, even if it is a hasbeen like they always do....

I think that would be a great plan for the offseason. Immediate help on defense is more reasonable of an expectation through the draft, than offense. We have a bunch of young guys learning on offense, free agency could net us a player who could help now.

Hey Astro, Whats up? Good to see your stuff again. I've been missing. Long season... So give me your wish list will ya? I got nothing yet... I'm hoping we improve the pass rush and get a te this year. I'd like to see a Pass Rusher at 11. I'd hate to pay a Rookie TE that kind of money for 5-6 years. I'm still upset about not getting Dustin Keller and then Drafting Fine over Conner oh man if the Bills read this they should hire you, me and about 5 other guys from this board. We'd work for peanuts, I mean we do it free right? I just wonder sometimes how you even apply to a job like that. Isn't passion the #1 job requirement? I wonder if they do read or if its ironic, but last year I called the McKelvin, Hardy, and Bell picks as all distinct possibilities. Did writeups and scouting reports on all of them... I'm sure you guys called some picks? If I owned a team I'd hire you, all of you... whats another 50k salary on a payroll of 120 mill

I have been looking at mocks for a while, looking at team needs in Round 1 up to our pick. I have come to the conclusion that the demand for OT is going to shape this draft and the picks that fall to us.

OT's actually are avoided for the first 2 picks. Lions need a ready-for-prime time QB.

Brandon Albert and Andre Smith is the beginning of a very good line. Thigpen isn't the problem.

They have to protect Palmer better. I don't think they reach for a RB this early.

Maybin is probably this year's best rusher. They could take the 4th OT here, sending Maybin to the Packers, 49'ers, Bills.

Del Rio wants Maualuga or Maclin, but losing Houshmanzadeh (to the Bills) makes it Maclin!

The shift to 3-4 makes this Maybin over the more 4-3 Orakpo and D-Tackle BJ Raji-- pending the Raiders OT vs. DE pick.

Singletary wants a defensive player, either DE, OLB, or CB. Some say QB Sanchez goes here. 49'ers take the top corner.

11. Buffalo Bills |

I'd say given those choices, even with Maualuga on the board, you go with Raji. Raji-Stroud helps your pathetic pass rush, and he'd probably be the Broncos' pick at #12. I'd also do this because there won't be any worthy DT's at our pick at the top of Round 2, and there would be DE's (Ayers, Conner Barwin), OLB's (English), and OC's (Mack, Unger) in Round 2. A twosome like Raji-Stroud can make overpaid DE's look better.

Astro

I'll buy it except that you drefted Arron Maybin twice at 7 and again at 9. That makes one less choice to the Bills and my guess is that either Brown, Orakpo or Raj are gone. Brown and Orakpo are better fits in a 3-4 defense. My bet is that

Raj is the one who is drafted ahead of the Bills.

I think Maualauga will be there but the Bills will draft Cushing instead They will at least attempt a trade down.

A twosome like Raji-Stroud can make overpaid DE's look better.

That's the inverse of what everyone said a couple of years ago... that our overpaid DEs would make our weak DTs look better.

In order to get production, the whole shebang needs to be improved. The piecemeal solution does not work; it's always going to be one or the other using this excuse.

As I see it, the OL is much closer to completion (for starters) than the DL. We should get that squared away first --- actually finish a unit before moving on --- and then deal with DL. We need a C... Lord knows we need a C, have needed one since Kent retired and have signed a bunch of castoffs that get pushed back into the QB, pockets break down and an entire half of the team performance is f--ked in large measure b/c of one position.

If a REAL C is signed on UFA (rather not go this route again and put even more $ into the OL) or Mack / Unger is guaranteed to be there in round 2, fine. But I don't think they last.

But for !@#$'s sake, we need to stop ignoring OL and OL depth and the mindset that productive OL will be found in round 7. Ralph's daughter, the head OL scout, needs to stop riding on daddy's coattails and pull her head out. As ever, Ralph's tentacles in every crevice of how the team is run creates a problem.

Hey Astro, Whats up? Good to see your stuff again. I've been missing. Long season... So give me your wish list will ya? I got nothing yet... I'm hoping we improve the pass rush and get a te this year. I'd like to see a Pass Rusher at 11. I'd hate to pay a Rookie TE that kind of money for 5-6 years. I'm still upset about not getting Dustin Keller and then Drafting Fine over Conner oh man if the Bills read this they should hire you, me and about 5 other guys from this board. We'd work for peanuts, I mean we do it free right? I just wonder sometimes how you even apply to a job like that. Isn't passion the #1 job requirement? I wonder if they do read or if its ironic, but last year I called the McKelvin, Hardy, and Bell picks as all distinct possibilities. Did writeups and scouting reports on all of them... I'm sure you guys called some picks? If I owned a team I'd hire you, all of you... whats another 50k salary on a payroll of 120 mill

Hey, Dan. Yeah, I'd give my left one to be in that War Room, even just to wipe the sweat from the brow of the GM.

My wish list? Here's my Dream scenario:

Sign a FA Tight End (Owen Daniels, LJ Smith, or Pope, in that order)...

Sign Birk at OC from Free Agency...

Re-sign OLB Crowell to OLB if he passes the physical...I expect Alvin Bowen back as well...

Trade our RD1#11 to San Diego for their #16 and their RD3#80...

Draft WR Jeremy Maclin RD1#16 (You want playmaker? There!)

Trade Parrish to Dallas for RD3#69

Package the #69 and #75 for Philly's #53...

Draft DE Robert Ayers DE in RD2#42 (physically intimidating defender, ferocious hitter, 6'-3, 270-pounds, positive leader)

Draft OG Herman Johnson in RD2#53...(massive with very good footwork)

Draft DT Ron Brace Boston College in RD3#75...(Phat Pat with wheels.)

Draft WR Louis Murphy Florida in RD3#80...(Evans-Maclin-Reed-Murphy-Hardy-Johnson)

Draft S Nic Harris in RD4#110...

Draft TE Bear Pascoe Fresno St. in RD5#139...

Draft QB John Parker Wilson Alabama in RD6#170...

Draft FB Travis McCall RD7#202.

Sign a FA Tight End (Owen Daniels, LJ Smith, or Pope, in that order)...

Sign Birk at OC from Free Agency...

Re-sign OLB Crowell to OLB if he passes the physical...I expect Alvin Bowen back as well...

Trade our RD1#11 to San Diego for their #16 and their RD3#80...

Draft WR Jeremy Maclin RD1#16 (You want playmaker? There!)

Trade Parrish to Dallas for RD3#69

Package the #69 and #75 for Philly's #53...

Draft DE Robert Ayers DE in RD2#42 (physically intimidating defender, ferocious hitter, 6'-3, 270-pounds, positive leader)

Draft OG Herman Johnson in RD2#53...(massive with very good footwork)

1. Owen Daniels is a RESTRICTED FA who will be tendered at a high level. Unless yielding a first and third is the Bills mindset, he's not coming here.

2. Matt Birk and Jeff Saturday are both on the downside and well over 30. Buffalo historically doesn't pursue guys this age and prefer to build with younger guys.

3. Crowell and the team have moved on. AC's knees aren't all that great, and even if they were, I don't think Buffalo welcomes back a guy that the HC isn't crazy about after last year's theatrics. Bowen is another in a long line of undersized OLB's this team has a tendency to acquire. He's also coming off an ACL tear.

4. Spending a high pick on Maclin is tantamount to saying Hardy is already a wasted pick. With the needs at SLB, DE, TE, and C, this is a luxury pick. Kinda like taking a safety when you're team's DL is terrible.

5. Despite his size, Herman Johnson is slow and gets pushed around far too often. His play at the senior bowl demonstrated this quite clearly. Ayers is a 3-4 DE who isn't known for pressuring QB's. Won't fit in the 4-3 Buffalo plays.

6. Parrish certainly isn't going to Dallas, as the Cowboys have given up several picks already to acquire Roy Williams formerly of Detroit. Taking a gadget player is absurd.

Astro

I couldn't agree with that more.

11. Buffalo Bills |

Astro

your out of your mind if you think the bills are going to trade parrish they just resigned the kid and besides being a very good slot guy he's probably the best punt returner in the freaking league. why you would want to trade a guy who is locked up for the forseeable future and who every time he gets the ball in his hands is a threat to take it to the house,ridiculous.

secondly if maualuga and raji are both on the board @ 11 its a no brain er. i guarantee there is no way they take that LB @ 11.

Astro

What about all those who favor a Peters trade? Means the Bills will have to find an OT also. This is the stupidity that underlies the entire concept.

1. Owen Daniels is a RESTRICTED FA who will be tendered at a high level. Unless yielding a first and third is the Bills mindset, he's not coming here.

2. Matt Birk and Jeff Saturday are both on the downside and well over 30. Buffalo historically doesn't pursue guys this age and prefer to build with younger guys.

3. Crowell and the team have moved on. AC's knees aren't all that great, and even if they were, I don't think Buffalo welcomes back a guy that the HC isn't crazy about after last year's theatrics. Bowen is another in a long line of undersized OLB's this team has a tendency to acquire. He's also coming off an ACL tear.

4. Spending a high pick on Maclin is tantamount to saying Hardy is already a wasted pick. With the needs at SLB, DE, TE, and C, this is a luxury pick. Kinda like taking a safety when you're team's DL is terrible.

5. Despite his size, Herman Johnson is slow and gets pushed around far too often. His play at the senior bowl demonstrated this quite clearly. Ayers is a 3-4 DE who isn't known for pressuring QB's. Won't fit in the 4-3 Buffalo plays.

6. Parrish certainly isn't going to Dallas, as the Cowboys have given up several picks already to acquire Roy Williams formerly of Detroit. Taking a gadget player is absurd.

birk is a pro bowl center who has a couple of good years left while we groom one of the young centers we draft. i think he would be a great pickup and would make our line espically our guards 10 times better. couldnt disagree with you more on acquiring birk.

A lot will change between now and draft day, but I can't imagine Rajj getting past the Bengals. If he does, he would be a great value at 11.

On a different note, what happens if the best player on the board at 11 is an ot? Is there any way we would draft an offensive lineman at 11?

absolutly not. what it would do hopefully is allow us the unusual opportunity to trade down for additional picks then we could get good value on a TE,center or DE.

Great post Astro. And lots of great follow ups.

I don't agree with all of your analysis but some of it is excellent and the effort was huge. Props bro.

It seems like Raji is skyrocketing and I just don't see him there at 11. Everette Brown's campaign started slowly due to being a junior I believe but Chris Long, Gholston, and Derrick Harvey went real quick last year. I think it's 50-50 he lasts till our pick. I wonder if someone leap frogs us like Jacksonville did for Harvey last year.

Anyways, way to bring it Astro.

A lot will change between now and draft day, but I can't imagine Rajj getting past the Bengals. If he does, he would be a great value at 11.

On a different note, what happens if the best player on the board at 11 is an ot? Is there any way we would draft an offensive lineman at 11?

that would be the smart play

Maybe if you intended to trade Peters.

no you keep Peters as he is a Pro Bowl quality LT

You draft a stud OL so you can get stud level production instead of the overpaid underperformance you get from Dockery and Walker at their bloated contracts.

The Bills have ZERO quality backup OTs on the roster so a real LT offers insurance if Peters gets hurt and allows flexibility at other spots on the line.

just say no to more DBs and small people