Need for OT's Will Benefit Bills

Astrobot

What's your point?

True, the Bills don't typically get older OL via FA, but Birk is still great.

Otherwise, I like your critique

I'm certainly not saying that Hardy is a bust as some are prone to say. But drafting WR's early is not what this team needs right now. Hardy's not the issue on this team right now. The first pick should not be WR/RB/DB type player.

Taking Maclin would be nice if this team could do the basic things: rush the passer and pass protect better.

A lot will change between now and draft day, but I can't imagine Rajj getting past the Bengals. If he does, he would be a great value at 11.

On a different note, what happens if the best player on the board at 11 is an ot? Is there any way we would draft an offensive lineman at 11?

stuckincincy would know more about this than me, but imo the Bengals will draft an OT in round 1. They are known as being a "cheap" team, yet they pay a huge amount of money to Carson Palmer who obviously needs protection. He is their "franchise," and they are suddenly thin at OT.

The bolded is 2 questions; I will do my best. Imo there is no chance, and I mean none whatsoever, that the Bills will draft an offensive lineman in the 1st round, tackle or no tackle.

Now, I want to qualify the following by stating that I think that McKelvin actually has a chance to be one of the best return men to ever play. It's hard for me to guess on his potential as a corner; others can do a more credible job, but he looks good to me.

The above being a given, could you imagine how strong the Bills OL would be if they would have drafted Branden Albert? He can play OG or even LT. They could have signed him to a long term deal, but Jauron insisted on a corner.

Btw, if something doesn't happen with Peters, this OL will once again be a mess, and now it stands as somewhere approaching average. We don't have a center who is even decent, let alone good. If they think that Mack, or another OC is a future probowler they should grab him. I know that 11 is early for a center, and perhaps they should take a chance and trade down a few spots, but I would be fine if they stand pat and take a center, or of course a good defensive lineman.

Still, don't hold your breath. Whitner and MaGee are not signed long term, and Greer is almost certainly gone this year. You know what that spells.

stuckincincy would know more about this than me, but imo the Bengals will draft an OT in round 1. They are known as being a "cheap" team, yet they pay a huge amount of money to Carson Palmer who obviously needs protection. He is their "franchise," and they are suddenly thin at OT.

That's the likely case, Bill. They ended up around or near the end of the middle of the pack in run def. despite all their injuries. They re-signed Peko to a fat contract, and last year's #3 Pat Sims looks promising.

I'd be surprised if they went for a DT at the #6 spot. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded down...the team owner is likely in a panic about the cost of paying top 10 money.

I would keep an eye out about their #2 choice. The incumbent Center, '06 #4 Eric Ghaicuc is no more than an "ok player" IMO.

It's possible that their second pick will be a center.

I see this or that mock that has them selecting a RB in the 2nd. I have doubts. I don't think they will be able to sign Cedric Benson - who played quite well...he's going to the highest bidder. And they have had bad injury luck with high pick rb's - Ki-Jana Carter, Chris Perry, Kenny Irons.

Unless UConn's Donald Brown is still out there. I think he can be a good pro back.

FWIW, UCinty's DT Terrill Byrd should spark some interest around round 4.

The bolded is 2 questions; I will do my best. Imo there is no chance, and I mean none whatsoever, that the Bills will draft an offensive lineman in the 1st round, tackle or no tackle.

Now, I want to qualify the following by stating that I think that McKelvin actually has a chance to be one of the best return men to ever play. It's hard for me to guess on his potential as a corner; others can do a more credible job, but he looks good to me.

Btw, if something doesn't happen with Peters, this OL will once again be a mess, and now it stands as somewhere approaching average. We don't have a center who is even decent, let alone good. If they think that Mack, or another OC is a future probowler they should grab him. I know that 11 is early for a center, and perhaps they should take a chance and trade down a few spots, but I would be fine if they stand pat and take a center, or of course a good defensive lineman.

Still, don't hold your breath. Whitner and MaGee are not signed long term, and Greer is almost certainly gone this year. You know what that spells.

I don't see Buffalo going OT unless of course the dreaded Peters trade occurs. Getting rid of a large contract in Peters, receiving picks in return, and drafting a guy with no college experience could happen with this front office. It almost seems like they avoid problems at all costs. Lynch's accident and Peters situation instantly comes to mind. At the same time, it fits nicely into their "replace star players who exit with high draft picks and never improve" mindset.

The only hope for this off-season is that Modrak is final say on all personnel decisions and not DJ. TM is no Jerry Reese, but he's a better personnel mind than the HC.

McKelvin is an electric corner, and I'm impressed with his ball skills after people said his hands weren't great. The INT he got in KC that he returned for a TD was a dynamite play which hopefully is an indication of things to come. At this point the defense needs playmakers, perhaps McLovin can be that and in the return game.

Overall, I can't believe how many resources have been invested in the OL and DL. More than 100M in contracts to the OL (although no first day picks in forever) and another 110M+ into the DL (Kelsay 23M, Schobel 50.5M, Stroud 10M+, Johnson 20M, Williams 14M IIRC) and we still have huge issues. That's a whole lotta money for two units that arguably are the team's weakest areas. Obviously the Bills are following the federal govt model of throwing money at problems and hoping they go away.