When to end a pet's life

Movinon

It really is such a individual decision regarding being with your Pet, if his or her death comes by way of euthanize.

Important point, I wanted to stress it.

I can't really give much advice, for just that reason - to me, it's a very personal and individual decision. Best I can say is that with any difficult choice I let myself be guided by one principle: the correct decision is the one that doesn't keep you awake at night.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in college I had come home, and my Dad said it was time to put our 14 year old beagle, Dad sat in the car because he couldnt take it, I went in with what had been my dog from a pup. After reading through this thread, I wish I would have stayed. The vet suggested I leave the dog and they would take care of it. I looked back at him for the last time and my heart was broken.

Sveral years later (about 3 years ago) I had to put down a mixed shepard we had for 14 years, this time the vet suggested that we stay with him , I still remembered what the first vet had said, and I walked out before he was put down.

After reading the previous posts, I will stay when the time comes for our latest dog, I still have the last looks stuck in my head of each of the previous freinds as we walked out.

In both cases, we knew it was time, the dogs were both unable to get up or down stairs, losing appetite and just not acting like thier normal selfs.

Good luck, you will know when the time is right.

We had to put down two dogs. "Angus" a scottie/poodle got cancer at 9. The vet told us when Ang was be in too much pain. Our next dog "Elmo", a schnauzer/poodle lived till he was 13 but in his last year became so unstable to the point of being a danger to us and others. Fine one minute, snarling uncontrollable rage the next. That was tough because Elmo was healthy enough physically to keep going but the dog would go berserk without warning. Either way it's never easy. I cried like a baby each time.

PTR

I know what that's like. That's why I broke up with her.

Important point, I wanted to stress it.

I can't really give much advice, for just that reason - to me, it's a very personal and individual decision. Best I can say is that with any difficult choice I let myself be guided by one principle: the correct decision is the one that doesn't keep you awake at night.

Oh great advice. :wallbash: If he puts him down he'll feel bad and if he doesn't put him down he'll feel bad. Thanks Mrs. Landers. :wallbash::P

Oh great advice. :wallbash: If he puts him down he'll feel bad and if he doesn't put him down he'll feel bad. Thanks Mrs. Landers. :wallbash::P

You starvelling, you eel-skin, you dried neat's-tongue, you bull's-pizzle, you stock-fish... [Henry IV, Part 1]

My dog Billie (see my profile pic) has arthritis in her hips. She's a little over 12 years old now. About a year ago, she had a bad flare up and could not walk. The vet recommended an anti-inflammatory drug called Metacam. It has worked really well for her. I don't know if it will work for your dog or not (a small percentage of dogs' digestive systems won't tolerate it), but I suggest bringing it up with your vet. I believe it has added years to my Billie's life. She is back to running around like her regular happy self. I really hope you can find something that works for you. I know what an amazing friend a dog can be.

Cassie is currently on Metacam and that too is not helping.

Thanks to all for your outpouring of support and advice. We are going to speak to the Vet today. We are preparing ourselves to say goodbye to Cassie :wallbash:

Nort sure what your beliefs are but my wife and I prayed for you, your family and Cassie last night. My wife is heartbroken for you because she knows exactly what you are going through.

Cassie is currently on Metacam and that too is not helping.

I'm really sorry for the position you're in. I know that I'll be in the same spot before too long.

I agree with what Aussie said--no matter what you decide, you have nothing to feel guilty about. Obviously you have struggled with this and done all you can. Think of the great life you have provided for your friend.

It feels like only yesterday I posted this http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=33382&hl= thread, I can't believe it's coming up on 4 years in October. To answer the question it's really up to you as the owner I choose to put Smokey down because she was able to walk and didn't think it be worth keeping her alive through something like that. Of course something came good out of that thread as about a week later I got a new kitten and wasn't sure what to name her but thanks to kegtapr got the name of Bandit and it's fitting because she's always taking things off desks and with her color looks like she's wearing a black mask.

I let a cat live too long once. It was incredibly selfish of me to do that to a good friend. I made a promise that if they had no hope of not being able to ever do their business or eat on their own, I would end the suffering for them.

I had to put down my golden, wow, almost 5 years ago. I have two shelties now, one 5 and a half and one 11. I will do (and did for my golden) just about anything to help them get in and out of the house, including ramps. But when they cannot do what should be natural, to me it is time.

But that is me. Tom said it well, imho. You do the thing that brings the least regret for you. They're trusting you to make the right decision.

My dog now is an 11 month old beagle. She's a normal, happy puppy, and I don't even want to think about the day when I have to make a choice.

As for my old pets, my cat had cancer and my parents were toying with the idea of taking her in. They were going to bring her the next day, simply because it was a snowstorm and the vet was 10 miles away during this particular evening. Well, the cat simply fell over paralyzed, but still conscious. They sat with her for a couple hours before she died. They tried to get up and leave her in peace, but she had a distressed look and tried to meow, so they just sat with her. Luckily I was at college.

As for my old dog, a sheltie, he had been suffering with bladder cancer for about a year. He'd get bad and rebound, and that cycle continued. One bad day, my mother said she just knew. She took him in and literally had zero regrets from the second she put him into the van. Sad yes, but regretful, no way.

Another sad story which will be appreciated in the future... Our good friend at work had a german pointer which had a bunch of various ailments. She had been wrestling with the idea. One morning, she knew it was time, so she called the vet to come to her house to do it (which is a really good vet... that's who we use for our beagle). Well, the dog laid there for a while, sat up, looked at my friend, who was sitting next to the dog, and then it died, AS THE VET WAS RINGING THE DOORBELL. The vet came in, sat with my friend for a few minutes, and took the body to be cremated. It's been a few months now, and she's finally coming around to saying that thisi was the best thing that could have happened.

Why did I write these three stories? a) all former pet owners, and most current pet owners, have gone through this before. We know how it goes. b) In all these stories, either the animal or the person just knew. Movinon, I think you already know the answer to your dilemma. Just remember, we'll all be here after you have done what needs to be done.

I understand and physically ache for you as I understand the awful decision that confronts you. Just understand whatever you decide, you are doing it because you believe that is what is best for your pet. You have provided a loving environment for your pet. It is such a personal decision. It is never easy, and as you can see so many of us have been through it and it is awful but over time you do just appreciate how lucky you have been to have that pet in your life. They provide more love than most humans. They certainly teach us how we really should live our lives many times.

We just had to put my dog down in the fall. I got him 12 years ago when I got out of college & moved back home with my parents. He was a minature american eskimo. Georgeous awesome dog. When I got married he stayed with my parents. My dad retired 5 years ago & they were inseparable. He would take him for a walk up to Dunkin Doughnuts every morning & they would each have a doughnut. I was at work when my mom called me last fall & told me the vet recommended that we put him down. Afterbeing on medication for a few years, his kidneys & liver started failing him. He could barely walk. I sat in my office, shut the door & cried for an hour. I was not going to go down to the vet that night because I thought it would be too tough. My dad was a wreck & said he just could not go to do it. They really became best friends over the years. I would often go over to my parents during my lunch hour & there would be my dad & chew taking a nap with chewey sleeping on my dads chest(he was only 12 pounds). Like I said the day my mom called I was not going to go to the vet that night but my wife talked me into it. I am really glad she did. It was surreal but something I am glad I was there for. It was definately a tough day though.