Give up our first for Peppers?

bananathumb

"Look for the Panthers to sign and trade Peppers for a first round pick this year, possibly through the franchise player tag. At least Panthers fans would have the draft to look forward to. Lets hope for a mid first rounder"

The quote is only from a Panther fan site, but if there is any truth to the prediction, would you do it?

I would, mainly because I can't see any player available at #11 who would fit our needs at DE as well as Julius Peppers. It would cost a bundle, but winning usually does. (I realize that what I just said makes it impossible, given Wilson's cheapness.)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Look for the Panthers to sign and trade Peppers for a first round pick this year, possibly through the franchise player tag. At least Panthers fans would have the draft to look forward to. Lets hope for a mid first rounder"

The quote is only from a Panther fan site, but if there is any truth to the prediction, would you do it?

I would, mainly because I can't see any player available at #11 who would fit our needs at DE as well as Julius Peppers. It would cost a bundle, but winning usually does. (I realize that what I just said makes it impossible, given Wilson's cheapness.)

That might actually be the best scenario for the Bills. On the open market, we're never going to get a guy like Peppers to come here, and even if we did, he'd probably demand much more cash than if he played in any other city. This way, the Panthers do the dirty work (in contract negotiations) and we could reap the benefits, all for the pick we'd probably use to select an unproven DE anyway.

Lets hope we get that deal.

Wouldn't do it for the guy if it's a one year franchise tender. He could walk after next season and that would be like we threw away our 1st rounder. I'd do it if he singed a long term contract with the Bills, but I don't see him really wanting to do that. Money talks though, so anything is possible.

Wouldn't do it for the guy if it's a one year franchise tender. He could walk after next season and that would be like we threw away our 1st rounder. I'd do it if he singed a long term contract with the Bills, but I don't see him really wanting to do that. Money talks though, so anything is possible.

I think they were implying they would use the franchise to keep him there, while formulating a contract, and then trading him.

Julius Peppers, Chris Kelsay.... Peppers.....Kelsay....Peppers.... or Kelsay?!?! Hmm I'm gonna have to say Heck yes in a second I'd do this trade. The question is would the Bills? Probably not. Peppers lack of things like High Motor, and team leader aren't high enough to be on the priority board for the Bills. The sad fact that he has 17 sacks in the past 2 years with 07 being a rather big down year, and it still matches what Kelsay has done in 6 seasons, is reason enough. He may want to play in a 3-4 scheme, but he's fully capable of being uber productive in a 4-3. It would be a no brainer for the Bills to consider.

Peppers is overrated and under motivated.

5 of his 7 years he's had over 10 sacks averages almost 4 forced fumbles a year about 50 tackles has 4 picks, and averages 6 passes defensed a season. Compared to what exactly is he "overrated"? sh-- compared to our sad sack group he would be a god send. The next Bruce Smith isn't coming along anytime soon. I'll settle for the guy who averages 10 sacks a season, at our position of greatest need.

I'd do that trade. Peppers for our first, straight up. Problem is, Peppers wants to play OLB in a 3-4. So unless he changes his mind, I don't see it happening.

I would do it too. More likely he becomes a Patriot or even a Dolphin. They play a 3-4 and have front offices that are not afraid to acquire top talent and pay for it. I'd bet the Dolphins new ownership will be aggressive.

Excellant take. I would take him in a heartbeat if he would agree to an extension.

5 of his 7 years he's had over 10 sacks averages almost 4 forced fumbles a year about 50 tackles has 4 picks, and averages 6 passes defensed a season. Compared to what exactly is he "overrated"? sh-- compared to our sad sack group he would be a god send. The next Bruce Smith isn't coming along anytime soon. I'll settle for the guy who averages 10 sacks a season, at our position of greatest need.

Compared to what the Bills DO have...Peppers IS Bruce Smith.

My wife is a Panthers fan so we watch them every so often. Julius Peppers is a great player with the skill and the motor. Problem is, the guy wants to get paid, and he wants to win. Both are reasons he probably doesn't come to the Bills.

Even if we trade for his rights after the Panthers negotiate a deal, the bills are going to be paying top dollar for him....which I don't see RW doing.