How in the world is Pitt favored by so much?

1billsfan

...that blitz crazy defense.

Last Superbowl I picked the Giants to beat the Pats last year because I thought the Giant defense would get pressure on Brady and the huge weight of that undefeated record would get to the Pats team as a whole. The Pats simply did not look like the same team that was running up the score for most of that season. They looked very shaky at the end of the year.

This Superbowl I'm picking the Cardinals. I felt this way two weeks ago and I still feel this way. The Cardinals are playing unbelievable football right now. Warner will pick these Steelers apart. He has the fastest release and is deadly accurate with three top flight receivers to throw the ball to. This 7 point spread favoring the Steelers is ridiculous. Yes, the Steelers have a great defense, but their offense is rather ordinary. You just sit back and watch Kurt Warner cement his place in football history and eventually the Hall of Fame on Sunday. I'm calling it 34-24, Cardinals win the Superbowl.

BTW, I don't bet anymore so please don't think I've got any money riding on this. Just my opinion.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Defense wins championships. Look at the Giants last year as exhibit A.

Matchups are a much greater indicator as to who wins championships. This is the worst QB/offense matchup the Steelers could possibly face. Plus, Warner doesn't become a p*ssy when he gets knocked down like Marsha does. That being said, there are probably a lot more that agree with you than me on this one.

Last Superbowl I picked the Giants to beat the Pats last year because I thought the Giant defense would get pressure on Brady and the huge weight of that undefeated record would get to the Pats team as a whole. The Pats simply did not look like the same team that was running up the score for most of that season. They looked very shaky at the end of the year.

This Superbowl I'm picking the Cardinals. I felt this way two weeks ago and I still feel this way. The Cardinals are playing unbelievable football right now. Warner will pick these Steelers apart. He has the fastest release and is deadly accurate with three top flight receivers to throw the ball to. This 7 point spread favoring the Steelers is ridiculous. Yes, the Steelers have a great defense, but their offense is rather ordinary. You just sit back and watch Kurt Warner cement his place in football history and eventually the Hall of Fame on Sunday. I'm calling it 34-24, Cardinals win the Superbowl.

BTW, I don't bet anymore so please don't think I've got any money riding on this. Just my opinion.

Who blitzes more, AZ or Pitt?

Yeah, really.

Pittsburgh doesn't blitz, folks. They generate most of that pressure rushing 4, maybe 5, guys. Teams have to double Aaron Smith and sometimes Hampton. Harrison is a beast. And when Woodley comes, he's then left on a RB, who he can bulldoze or jump over.

If you run a 3-4 D and are bringing 4 or 5 guys that's called a blitzing.

Defense wins championships. Look at the Giants last year as exhibit A.

Historically not true...Giants won on a fluke play last year or it wouldnt have even been true last year. A guy who barely makes the team this year after his SB heroics makes a lucky catch on his helmet, otherwise, Giants lose.

The year before Defense didnt win...Colts beat Bears...

Truth is, matchups win championships as another poster said, its not nearly as black and white as "defense" wins championships.

Historically not true...Giants won on a fluke play last year or it wouldnt have even been true last year. A guy who barely makes the team this year after his SB heroics makes a lucky catch on his helmet, otherwise, Giants lose.

The year before Defense didnt win...Colts beat Bears...

Truth is, matchups win championships as another poster said, its not nearly as black and white as "defense" wins championships.

I'll second that.

I agree. If the cardinals can protect Warner there is no stopping them. That's a big IF though.

I think Arizona's protection is not as big a factor as you might think. The spread offense and Warners ability to get the ball out of his hands quickly is going to end up neutralizing Pitts pass rush. Warner is the perfect QB to have success against this Pitt team.

If you run a 3-4 D and are bringing 4 or 5 guys that's called a blitzing.

Too technical. I would consider "blitzing," at least how I'm using the term, to be sending more guys in than you have guys to block them.

But the point is, what makes Warner effective against the blitz, is that he can ID the hot read pretty quickly. If you rush 4-5 guys, regardless of your scheme, there's no hot read.

Put your money where your mouth is if your so convinced. Chump.

I think Arizona's protection is not as big a factor as you might think. The spread offense and Warners ability to get the ball out of his hands quickly is going to end up neutralizing Pitts pass rush. Warner is the perfect QB to have success against this Pitt team.

I'm with you on that. Kurt Warner's ability to make a read and let it go is what will give the Steelers fits. The Cards are going to get their points but can the defense continue to play at a high level? I'm going to say they get pushed around a little bit but in the end make big plays. I like the Cardinals.

I'm with you on that. Kurt Warner's ability to make a read and let it go is what will give the Steelers fits. The Cards are going to get their points but can the defense continue to play at a high level? I'm going to say they get pushed around a little bit but in the end make big plays. I like the Cardinals.

:wallbash:

Put your money where your mouth is if your so convinced. Chump.

Sorry if my opinion offended you. I swore off betting on football games about ten years ago and just wanted to let it be known for those of you who will be betting on the game.