Good DEs that could be had in the 2nd

The_Dude

Connor Barwin from Cincinatti. 6-4, 255lbs. I like him in the ONLY game I saw this year that he played in. I think he can play DE in the NFL but would work better in a 3-4 as an OLB... But we could use him.

Paul Kruger from Utah. 6-5, 265lbs. I had no clue who this guy was until I saw him light it up in his final game.

Robert Ayers from Tennessee. 6-3, 270lbs. I like him A LOT. This guy would be higher if he had more talent around him... Livining in ky/tn I watched a lot of him.. This guy is quick, strong, can play the pass, can play the run and hill give your grandma the finger if she accidently cuts him off in traffic. This guy is mean on the field. I like him.

Connor Barwin from Cincinatti. 6-4, 255lbs. I like him in the ONLY game I saw this year that he played in. I think he can play DE in the NFL but would work better in a 3-4 as an OLB... But we could use him.

Paul Kruger from Utah. 6-5, 265lbs. I had no clue who this guy was until I saw him light it up in his final game.

Robert Ayers from Tennessee. 6-3, 270lbs. I like him A LOT. This guy would be higher if he had more talent around him... Livining in ky/tn I watched a lot of him.. This guy is quick, strong, can play the pass, can play the run and hill give your grandma the finger if she accidently cuts him off in traffic. This guy is mean on the field. I like him.

I like Ayers too after the Senior Bowl performance, but I question his desire on the field. He only had 3 sacks this season and 2 of them were in the game against Vanderbilt. His highest total in a season is 4 and he only has 9 in 4 years of college. He had 49 tackles with 15.5 for loss, but he really didn't get to the QB. WE NEED A PASS RUSHER, not just another guy to make tackles for 4 and 5 yard gains. I'm torn on whether I would take the guy or not. What is going to make him more effective in the NFL than at Tennessee?

Kruger would be a solid choice in the 2nd or 3rd as would guys like Barwin, Shaugnessy, or Brandon Wiliams. Williams is a little light at about 240-245, but has a 6'5" frame to pack about 10-15lbs. of muscle onto. I'd be happy with any of the 4 in the 2nd or 3rd round if we have better options available to us with our 1st round pick and possibly the 2nd.

Ayers would be a great upgrade over Kelsay, and make a good LDE I think. I also see no reason why the Bills wouldnt consider adding two Dlineman in the first two rounds if we get a Raji/Brown Rd 1, and other needs like center and TE are not worth the selection in the second.

Kruger is a nice player, but he doesn't really strike me as a speed rusher, which I think is really what the Bills need.

Barwin and Ayers have huge question marks in terms of productivity, so I would caution anyone from getting too excited about them.

If you're looking for a post-first-round DE, the pickings get kind of slim. I am assuming that Larry English goes in the top 35 picks, so he's out of the discussion. The 2 guys I like after that (keeping in mind I've only seen game tape of about 20 defensive ends, so my sampling is rather small) are David Veikune of Hawaii and Brandon Williams of Texas Tech. Both are big, lean, powerful, and have a good first step. That's about all you can hope for out of a DE that gets drafted after round 1. I like their potential, but both can be had in the 3rd or 4th round.

OK, that's good enough for me. Let's sign this kid up. Maybe he'll pick on Kelsey - you know steal his lunch money, make fun of his mom, push him over a bench when he's not paying attention - in training camp until he runs home crying (or learns how to get after the QB).

great post. i was going to post a similar comment. i was wondering what everyone thinks of going de in round 1 and 2. personally i would be fine with it. i know we could use a te and center, but with our lack of pash rush the past few years, i would def be all for it

great post. i was going to post a similar comment. i was wondering what everyone thinks of going de in round 1 and 2. personally i would be fine with it. i know we could use a te and center, but with our lack of pash rush the past few years, i would def be all for it

If things fell the right way, I love this idea. Hopefully we spend a little in FA and can afford to make a move like this.

Barwin is not an NFL DE. Looks like a very good TE though, if he can learn to catch the damn ball.

And what are your thoughts on Veikune (Hawaii) and Williams (Texas Tech)? Veikune looked sharp in the pass-rush drills during Senior Bowl week, at least I thought.

Apparently you haven't heard about Kelsay making the Pro Bowl in 09?

And...I don't want another DE from the state of Utah for at least another 10 years.

Did Alabama have a VERY good O line this year? And what did Utah do to that line and poor John Parker Wilson?

And what are your thoughts on Veikune (Hawaii) and Williams (Texas Tech)? Veikune looked sharp in the pass-rush drills during Senior Bowl week, at least I thought.

Veikune is one of my favorite sleepers at a position of need for us. However, I think he will be a better LB than DE in the pros. Either way, he seems to do everything well, and I think he'll be a solid contributor for the team that selects him.

I'm positive there are good DEs to be had in the 2nd and even 3rd round. The biggest question is, especially with their recent (last 10 drafts or so) DE drafting history, will the Bills actually be able to select them?

They may be able to select them but WILL they select them when given the opportunity or are they intent on looking for the next John McCargo?