Herm Edwards fired in KC

Simon

Pretty much all the guys who were in the conversation at the end of the season - Marinelli, Edwards, Crennell - have all been fired. Yet somehow Teflon Dick just keeps hangin' on...

what do you mean- "hanging on "

Dick has an 3 year extension with an owner who will refuse to eat any of that contract.

Dick is essentially guaranteed his gig for 3 years unless Ralph croaks.

what do you mean- "hanging on "

Dick has an 3 year extension with an owner who will refuse to eat any of that contract.

Dick is essentially guaranteed his gig for 3 years unless Ralph croaks.

I expect the Bills to be very consistent for the next three years. 7-9, 7-9, 7-9.

The Broncs are going to end up eating a turd sandwich over this one.

ESPN story

The funny thing about this...Adam Schefter reported that Shanahan was not going to coach next year, period. Yet, ESPN kept reporting that Shanahan was close to an agreement with KC. This was according to Mike Francesa on WFAN last night.

Lends a lot of credibility to Clayton, Mort, et al, doesn't it? :angry:

Sounds like most of his colleagues in the media think that Mortenson reporting a rumor as a fact by saying the Chiefs signed/want Shanahan.

link

Peter King:

Deposed Denver coach Mike Shanahan will "definitely'' not coach the Kansas City Chiefs in 2009 -- nor will he take a coaching job anywhere prior to the 2009 season, an NFL source close to Shanahan said late Friday night. The source said Shanahan was adamant that he was not coaching the Chiefs.

Adam Schefter:

Despite rampant reports that the Chiefs are negotiating with former Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan to replace Herm Edwards, they are not, sources said Friday. The Chiefs never have made any contact with Shanahan — never. And there have been no contract negotiations.

So unless people I have known for years are blatantly lying to me, Shanahan will not be the next coach of the Chiefs. It's not happening. People can keep talking as if it is, but it's not. Shanahan will not be the coach of the Chiefs in 2009.

alot better than jauron

Wow. People like to talk about records, right? Results, right? Look at his record in KC. Abysmal. And you call him better than DJ? I guess it shows the mentality of people around here, so friggin stupid that they'd be willing to trade one loser for another.

Wow. People like to talk about records, right? Results, right? Look at his record in KC. Abysmal. And you call him better than DJ? I guess it shows the mentality of people around here, so friggin stupid that they'd be willing to trade one loser for another.

I am not saying hire Herm but he has coached 4 playoff teams since 2001 how many playoff games have the Bills been in since 2001? Oh thats right ZERO.

Not to mention he coached KC to the playoffs in '06.

I am not saying hire Herm but he has coached 4 playoff teams since 2001 how many playoff games have the Bills been in since 2001? Oh thats right ZERO.

I love how fans completely disregard talent on a team, schedule, etc. when evaluating one coach for another...With the exception of the last two years in KC, Herm has had more talent than DJ on most of his teams...

When DJ went 13-3 with the Bears and won coach of the year, his team wasnt even projected to be above .500 and had several fluke wins, including back to back games where his team made two of the greatest comebacks for a win in the final minutes of 4th Qtr. They came back from 14 down to score 21 points in the final 2 minutes of the game and FIRST play of OT when Mike Brown returned and INT for a TD. Then followed it up the following week making a final minutes comeback to once again tie the game and Mike Brown took the first offensive play by the Niners in for a TD on another INT.

His team that year grossly over achieved and had marginal talent at best. In Buffalo, he has YET to have a QB who could win him games...the best we had was Trent playing so he didnt LOSE us games by turning the ball over. But Trent has rarely ever had command of a game, and when he has, its been against the bottom of the league defenses. Unless you have a dominant D and dominant run game, you cant win in this league without some reliability from your QB.

Herm, had much better teams in NY...and when he went to the playoffs that year in KC, that division outside of SD was very weak and the rest of his schedule was pretty light and he had competent QB play from Huard and good running from LJ with a decent D and he squeeked out a 9 win season.

DJ this year would have had a winning record too if we dont miss that game winning FG and Trent didnt get hurt, because even though he struggled, the offense still moved better with him than JP...so, someone please explain how Herm is such an upgrade over DJ?

Not saying DJ is elite...only talking about comparison between him and Herm...To me, they are not that much different, but I would prefer DJ over Herm...

I dont care if Bill Walsh comes back from the dead to coach this team and his beloved Trent and then sign Peppers, we will NOT do much better until we get better play from the QB and thats just fact...

I love how fans completely disregard talent on a team, schedule, etc. when evaluating one coach for another...With the exception of the last two years in KC, Herm has had more talent than DJ on most of his teams...

When DJ went 13-3 with the Bears and won coach of the year, his team wasnt even projected to be above .500 and had several fluke wins, including back to back games where his team made two of the greatest comebacks for a win in the final minutes of 4th Qtr. They came back from 14 down to score 21 points in the final 2 minutes of the game and FIRST play of OT when Mike Brown returned and INT for a TD. Then followed it up the following week making a final minutes comeback to once again tie the game and Mike Brown took the first offensive play by the Niners in for a TD on another INT.

His team that year grossly over achieved and had marginal talent at best. In Buffalo, he has YET to have a QB who could win him games...the best we had was Trent playing so he didnt LOSE us games by turning the ball over. But Trent has rarely ever had command of a game, and when he has, its been against the bottom of the league defenses. Unless you have a dominant D and dominant run game, you cant win in this league without some reliability from your QB.

Herm, had much better teams in NY...and when he went to the playoffs that year in KC, that division outside of SD was very weak and the rest of his schedule was pretty light and he had competent QB play from Huard and good running from LJ with a decent D and he squeeked out a 9 win season.

DJ this year would have had a winning record too if we dont miss that game winning FG and Trent didnt get hurt, because even though he struggled, the offense still moved better with him than JP...so, someone please explain how Herm is such an upgrade over DJ?

Not saying DJ is elite...only talking about comparison between him and Herm...To me, they are not that much different, but I would prefer DJ over Herm...

I dont care if Bill Walsh comes back from the dead to coach this team and his beloved Trent and then sign Peppers, we will NOT do much better until we get better play from the QB and thats just fact...

Basically you are saying in one sentance it's a QB league then knocking Edwards for making the playoffs with Huard b/c he "had better talent". I disagree everybody has talent in this league granted some teams have more but the bottom line is you need to find players that fit your system and buy in to the gameplan. The Bills have done a poor job in that area...and yes DJ & Herm have a similar overall but Herm has made the playoffs 4 of 8 years coaching period. The rest of the sotries about talent, schedule, is excuses for losers.

What is his record? Additionally, what level of players did he have? The dude took a killer team and they didn't get to the SB? Sorry, not worth it. Anybody who had players at skill positions like him and couldn't convert sucks.

Not to mention the fact that he's a friggin blowhard buffoon.

Basically you are saying in one sentance it's a QB league then knocking Edwards for making the playoffs with Huard b/c he "had better talent". I disagree everybody has talent in this league granted some teams have more but the bottom line is you need to find players that fit your system and buy in to the gameplan. The Bills have done a poor job in that area...and yes DJ & Herm have a similar overall but Herm has made the playoffs 4 of 8 years coaching period. The rest of the sotries about talent, schedule, is excuses for losers.

Seems to me that you are making some VERY stupid excuses for Herm. Replacing one loser with another is not the way to success. We've seen what Herm can do with players like Tony Gonzalez. Unacceptable. Not worth the risk. Stupid, stupid, stupid argument to make.

I'm not disagreeing that having a different coach could have a positive impact, just saying that Herm Edwards friggin BLOWS.

Seems to me that you are making some VERY stupid excuses for Herm. Replacing one loser with another is not the way to success. We've seen what Herm can do with players like Tony Gonzalez. Unacceptable. Not worth the risk. Stupid, stupid, stupid argument to make.

I'm not disagreeing that having a different coach could have a positive impact, just saying that Herm Edwards friggin BLOWS.

Herm Edwards is unspeakably bad, to the point where he is a comedy show. Is he worse than Jauron? I actually think so, but Jauron is more annoying, and probably makes worse draft decisions.

So yeah, Edwards is worse, but I would hate to give the impression that Jauron isn't an idiot in terms of running a team.