Leonhard's contract is up after strong season

Leonhard's contract is up after strong season

Safety waits as Ravens juggle many offseason priorities on 'D'

By Ken Murray | ken.murray@baltsun.com

January 21, 2009

Change is coming to the Ravens' indomitable defense.

Rex Ryan, the architect/coordinator, is already gone. Cornerback Chris McAlister has one foot out the door. Pro Bowl linebackers Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs are lined up for big paychecks.

Then there's play-making safety Jim Leonhard, one of the unsung heroes of that defense, whose future in Baltimore is cloaked in salary cap intrigue.

If the Ravens are able to sign Lewis and Suggs, will they have enough money left to reward Leonhard for his stellar season?

Or, faced with a lesser offer, might Leonhard bolt for the New York Jets and a reunion with Ryan?

After three nondescript years with the Buffalo Bills, Leonhard found a home in the Ravens' secondary this season. When Dawan Landry suffered a spinal cord concussion in September and eventually went on injured reserve, Leonhard became the starting strong safety.

He never missed a step, through 16 starts, including three playoff games.

As the season wore on, Leonhard proved his worth in more ways than as a safety. He was the team's best punt returner, averaging 11.6 yards, nearly twice that of Yamon Figurs. He returned kickoffs on occasion (averaging 20.4yards). And when the need arose - as it did in the AFC title game, when the Ravens were short on cornerbacks - Leonhard played nickel back, too.

Versatile, tough, quick, smart. He made a career-high 85tackles in the regular season and played well in the playoffs (one interception, half a sack, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and 16tackles). Not a bad resume to take into free agency Feb.27.

Leonhard, 26, signed a one-year contract for $520,000 in April after he aced a weekend minicamp tryout with the Ravens. That contract is up, and for the first time in his pro career, he has options.

"I had a great season," he said Monday before players scattered across the country. "I was put in position to make plays, and fortunate enough to make a lot of them. I've spoken all season of how I love this system and this defense."

Defensive tackle Trevor Pryce calls him "Little Jimmy Leonhard" out of respect for the 5-foot-8 safety with a boyish face.

"You like players like that because they don't get a lot of publicity," Pryce said. "But those are always the best ones. Jimmy is a damn good football player. People are just starting to notice now, but we knew that a long time ago."

As much as he would like to stay, Leonhard knows there's a chance he might have to go. It's obvious the Ravens' biggest priority on defense will be keeping Lewis and Suggs, and perhaps fellow linebacker Bart Scott. Contracts for Lewis and Suggs, franchise tag or not, will be very expensive.

"These guys are tremendous game changers on the team and in the league," Leonhard said. "I don't know what the front office thinks, but in my mind, they're priority guys, and that will determine what happens ... to the rest of the free agents."

While the Ravens almost certainly will want to keep Leonhard, paying him may become the issue. They still don't know how soon or how well Landry will come back from his injury. He has yet to be cleared by a doctor for any contact. But they did draft two promising safeties in April in Tom Zbikowski (third round) and Haruki Nakamura (sixth round).

In salary cap economics, this gives the Ravens leverage, too.

And don't discount the Ryan factor. The departed coordinator likes Leonhard a lot. He wanted the Ravens to sign him out of Wisconsin as an undrafted free agent in 2005. He might get that chance now as coach of the Jets.

Leonhard also appreciates the fact that Ryan knew how best to use him.

"I would love to play for Rex again," Leonhard said. "Obviously, I have a lot of respect for him, as well as the coaches that are still here. If that opportunity comes up, who knows what will happen? I'm going to enjoy this season for a little bit, then let everything work itself out the next couple months."

And if Leonhard hits the free-agent market, how long would it take before he calls Ryan?

"Probably not long," he said.

Who replaces Ryan as coordinator is another factor in his decision. The Ravens presumably would like to stay in-house for reasons of continuity.

"You ask anyone on defense and they'd like it to stay in-house," Leonhard said, "just because we have that bond with them already. But that's not to say there's not somebody else on the outside that's the right person for the job. [The Ravens] have a great track record with coaches, and they'll bring in the right guy. Nobody's worried about that."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...story?track=rss

I always liked Jim as a backup safety. He is smart and plays good position football. He's not an upgrade in talent, over anyone on the roster (except for maybe Wilson), at this time, though. I would suspect that he would look no better in this D, than he did when he played here just a couple of years ago. If he came at the right price, and no loss of draft picks, I would be fine with that. But, he is likely to get bigger offers from some other teams.

Our system makes safeties cover too much ground for a guy like Leonard.

Yeah, why would I want a guy who's fast and agile with good vision in a position that needs to cover a lot of ground? :D

My issue with the guy is that he couldn't tackle. I suppose it's possible he learned something from the guys in BAL, but it's not likely.

Yeah, why would I want a guy who's fast and agile with good vision in a position that needs to cover a lot of ground? :D

My issue with the guy is that he couldn't tackle. I suppose it's possible he learned something from the guys in BAL, but it's not likely.

I'm probably wrong, but I remember him being out of position playing safety for us. If I had to characterize his play I would say 'a day late and a dollar short'. Watched him several times this year and he had a way of making plays...not 30 yards downfield either.

Well, as great of a safety as Ed Reed is, tackling isn't his specialty, either...so I doubt Jim learned anything from him. Tackling ability, by NFL DBs, is at an all-time low. They LOVE to launch themselves at the ball carrier, but completely forget to wrap the guy up, and tackle him.

Gu had more interceptions inone game than all our safteies did for the whole 2008 season. He is a playmaker we should have never let go. Simpson or Leonhard? No contest. He also can return punts.

The Bills have about Zero need for a returner of Leonhard's ability. It is a nice thing to be able to do, though, and should help him in FA.

I think he's great when he has a specific task to do because he can recognize what's coming. But having him float out there deep and make plays isn't his game at all.

I think he's great when he has a specific task to do because he can recognize what's coming. But having him float out there deep and make plays isn't his game at all.

The guy played well because he played next to the greatest safety of all time and the greatest middle linebacker of all time.

I got tired of watching him when he was here getting bowled over by 200 lb running backs.

No thank you--move McGee to safety and resign Greer alongside McKelvin.

the only reason i could see leonhard wanting to come to buffalo is if we severely overpay him compared to what everyone else is offering.

why would he want to leave an attacking defense that suits his strengths to come here to the sit and react defense?

Stop and think........

Look at what Leonard had in front of him while he was in Buffalo......NOT MUCH

Look at what he had in front of him in Baltimore. I mean the players on Baltimore's D are better ALL THE WAY AROUND then ANY Bills player on defense. Buffalo dont even compare. Honestly Baltimore's backups are better then some of our starters....

So the supporting cast is what made Jimmy Leonard a better player. Bring him back to Buffalo and he would be the same player he was before he left. A NON FACTOR PLAYER! Kinda how Donte Whitner is starting to become.

Look at what Leonard had in front of him while he was in Buffalo......NOT MUCH

Look at what he had in front of him in Baltimore. I mean the players on Baltimore's D are better ALL THE WAY AROUND then ANY Bills player on defense.

Stop and think........

Bannan was in Buffalo - all are better?

Bannan is a good, solid player but not a great one so saying every player in front is better than every player in Buffalo has no weight. In fact it appears troll bait.

This is how Baltimore views Leonhard:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,3291855.story

"Are we going to get a hometown discount? I hope so. I really do," Bisciotti said of the 13-year veteran [Ray Lewis] who has played his entire career with the Ravens. "That means we can find one more Jimmy Leonhard on the free-agent market with the money we save."

Using him as a measuring stick tells you Ravens thought they got a bargain with Leonhard not just some cog which was made like a player because of other players.

Oh and in that "attacking defense" Leonhard needed to hold the fort so others could attack. Reed (the All Pro safety) said having Leonard back there ALLOWED him to attack more for he was a dependable last line.

This subject has already about been beaten to death:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=81526

As I said before:

"If Leonhard was with the Bills he'd be the guy being run over by Sammie Morris. I don't get that people don't understand that football is primarily won in the trenches".

The guy played well because he played next to the greatest safety of all time and the greatest middle linebacker of all time.

I got tired of watching him when he was here getting bowled over by 200 lb running backs.

No thank you--move McGee to safety and resign Greer alongside McKelvin.

MADDEN ECONOMICS BABY!

Leonhard is not a super star player. I can't believe how many posts there are for this guy. He is a smart player with good skills. On the current Bills defense he would be average at best. A great pass rush makes any secondary better and the Bills have absolutely no pass rush. Leonhard would be the whipping boy of this board if he were a Bill....