Just watched a history channel special on George Washington

What a remarkable,remarkable man. In my day we learned history in high school so this was not all news, but a nice refresher. Remember how lucky you are to live in the USA, and that we are standing on the shoulders of giants.

I think remarkable is spot on. His farewell address should be mandatory reading for every American. I find it pretty amazing to see how desperately Washington wanted to stay out of military and political activities, but came back every time he was asked because he truly thought it was his duty to the country, and did so for no salary even though it was common for his positions.

To be honest though, the more I think about him and others in his day, the more depressed I get about where we stand today. We are not on their shoulders, we are in their shadows.

I discovered this when I read Excellency a few years ago shortly after reading 1776. He was remarkable in every sense of the word. He handled unbelievable adversity with such grace and style. Guy was the penultimate "stand up" guy.

Why do so many people misuse the word 'penultimate'? :wallbash:

If GW was the 'penultimate', then who was the 'ultimate' stand-up guy?

Watched it too. Very good show. I remember hearing this in school (yes I'm old enough to have been taught History in HS) and it really brought it home again, but perhaps Washington's greatest accomplishment was what he didn't do. He didn't let the power go to his head. He had just won the war and was Commander in Chief of the army and just walked away. He was President and had all the goodwill and could have remained President for several more terms, and he just walked away. IMO, he established the precedent for the greatest part of our democracy... the change in power from one leader to the next.

Watched it too. Very good show. I remember hearing this in school (yes I'm old enough to have been taught History in HS) and it really brought it home again, but perhaps Washington's greatest accomplishment was what he didn't do. He didn't let the power go to his head. He had just won the war and was Commander in Chief of the army and just walked away. He was President and had all the goodwill and could have remained President for several more terms, and he just walked away. IMO, he established the precedent for the greatest part of our democracy... the change in power from one leader to the next.

Exactly. In fact, I believe he was given the opportunity to be king,rather than president.

Exactly. Imagine Napolean turning in his sword and heading home. I think the most amazing thing about him was his ability to learn from his own mistakes - actually look at things that obviously didn't work and NOT DO THEM AGAIN.

I think Washington would weep at what our "Democracy" has become.

Exactly. Imagine Napolean turning in his sword and heading home. I think the most amazing thing about him was his ability to learn from his own mistakes - actually look at things that obviously didn't work and NOT DO THEM AGAIN.

I think Washington would weep at what our "Democracy" has become.

I think he'd cringe to know that we are now considered a democracy.