Plane crashes into Hudson River

erynthered

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We watched as the plane and flotilla of emergency service boats floated down to us from its initial impact point yesterday afternoon. The plane is tethered right outside my building. I am at 1 North End Avenue. I took shots on my phone camera last night after work while it was still floating and banging against the breakwall. The right wing appears to be gone now, I have my digital camera now just need a way to post the pictures. I can't figure out how to get the ones i took off the phone from last night.

Where is crayonz railing against the Canadian geese?

I don't hate Canadians nor do I hate their geese. Let's just say the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree in the brains department up there.

Flying right into a jet engine is pretty stupid, even for a bird. It can't be a big shock that the birds were Canadian.

Sully obviously did an incredible job with that plane. Clearly he is a quick thinker. I just wonder if he thought for an instant that not even Canadian birds could be so stupid and let his guard down instead of avoidng them.

I think the moral here is to never assume that anything Canadian has a capacity to think quickly. The cold weather slows down synapses. That and the fact that the pilot's landing was not "lucky". Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. Nice job Sully.

We watched as the plane and flotilla of emergency service boats floated down to us from its initial impact point yesterday afternoon. The plane is tethered right outside my building. I am at 1 North End Avenue. I took shots on my phone camera last night after work while it was still floating and banging against the breakwall. The right wing appears to be gone now, I have my digital camera now just need a way to post the pictures. I can't figure out how to get the ones i took off the phone from last night.

Send a photo text message to your email address.

I don't hate Canadians nor do I hate their geese. Let's just say the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree in the brains department up there.

Flying right into a jet engine is pretty stupid, even for a bird. It can't be a big shock that the birds were Canadian.

Sully obviously did an incredible job with that plane. Clearly he is a quick thinker. I just wonder if he thought for an instant that not even Canadian birds could be so stupid and let his guard down instead of avoidng them.

I think the moral here is to never assume that anything Canadian has a capacity to think quickly. The cold weather slows down synapses. That and the fact that the pilot's landing was not "lucky". Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. Nice job Sully.

You are Canadian.

I also heard this morning that the pilot, in addition to his jet fighter training, was also a skilled "glider" pilot.

I think those passengers were damn lucky that this guy was at the wheel.

I had heard a rumor that Teddy Bruschi actually landed it and then slipped out with the passengers to avoid the spotlight. It unconfirmed but probably true in New England.

Guest dog14787
I also heard this morning that the pilot, in addition to his jet fighter training, was also a skilled "glider" pilot.

I think those passengers were damn lucky that this guy was at the wheel.

Very few pilots could have pulled that one off. :lol:

Guest dog14787
No video footage yet....bummer.

Its something that should be investigated and possibly even tested with an unmanned aircraft to see if the landing can be duplicated again, In my opinion, the same slow air speed that almost caused disaster also helped prevent one.

Why not design these big birds to land on the water in an emergency situation, after all , it is possible :unsure:

Its something that should be investigated and possibly even tested with an unmanned aircraft to see if the landing can be duplicated again, In my opinion, the same slow air speed that almost caused disaster also helped prevent one.

Doesn't really need to be. First off, in a hundred years of flight, there's a decent amount of data on ditching a plane. Second...this is one thing you could computer model pretty accurately and more cheaply than a real-life duplication.

Why not design these big birds to land on the water in an emergency situation, after all , it is possible :unsure:

They used to be called "seaplanes" or "flying boats"...they stopped making them when they found out that, while you could make a boat fly, it was uneconomical (you have to design the plane around an honest-to-god boat hull that will handle the hydrodynamic drag, which tend to be heavy and over-engineered for flying), and making a "sailing" or "floating" plane was near impossible (since the whole circular cross-sectioned, semi-monocoque pressurized fuselage construction is incompatible with the stresses of a water landing).

Fact is, the pilot in this case put the plane down more perfectly than he had any right to expect. Had he deviated at all from what he did, the plane probably would have cracked up and sank. An amazing piece of flying...but he was extraordinarily lucky at the same time (he's probably sitting somewhere right now, kicking back shots of hard liquor, saying to himself "Holy sh--, how the !@#$ did I ever pull that off?")

Guest dog14787
Doesn't really need to be. First off, in a hundred years of flight, there's a decent amount of data on ditching a plane. Second...this is one thing you could computer model pretty accurately and more cheaply than a real-life duplication.

They used to be called "seaplanes" or "flying boats"...they stopped making them when they found out that, while you could make a boat fly, it was uneconomical (you have to design the plane around an honest-to-god boat hull that will handle the hydrodynamic drag, which tend to be heavy and over-engineered for flying), and making a "sailing" or "floating" plane was near impossible (since the whole circular cross-sectioned, semi-monocoque pressurized fuselage construction is incompatible with the stresses of a water landing).

Fact is, the pilot in this case put the plane down more perfectly than he had any right to expect. Had he deviated at all from what he did, the plane probably would have cracked up and sank. An amazing piece of flying...but he was extraordinarily lucky at the same time (he's probably sitting somewhere right now, kicking back shots of hard liquor, saying to himself "Holy sh--, how the !@#$ did I ever pull that off?")

Most guys yes, but something tells me this fella could do it again if he had to because he's that good and he probably knows it , especially after that landing. :unsure:

A 747 on floats would be quite a sight, tho.

• 3 weeks later...
I love the long delay from the controller after the first time Sully says "we may be in the Hudson". Big WTF moment for that guy. :lol:

That controller should be put on nighttime ground control duty...he just didn't get what was happening. Sully says that they're going in the Hudson and this guy is still giving him available runways at Newark...NEWARK! Sully told him he couldn't make Teterboro, which was just a few miles to the southwest, and this guy says ok, how about Newark?!?! What a dope.

Controller: :D

Sully and crew: :bag::D:D:worthy: