WHY IS RALPH WILSON STADIUM SO BAD?

guys, face it the ralph is a dump. when the meadows lands close this year it will be one of the oldest stadiums in the league. guess it's kind of intimidating for opposing teams to come in hear and have to play in such a dump because of the swirling winds and the crowd noise but it is wayyyy out-dated. i mean what cold-weather, open stadium plays with grassy-turf, instead of real grass (i.e. pittsburgh, cleveland, green bay, new england, etc...). By the way i have been to cleveland stadium and heinz field. both stadiums are awesome. the are both easily accessible because both are downtown. both provide an up to date stadium while not losing the craziness of the fans.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guys, face it the ralph is a dump. when the meadows lands close this year it will be one of the oldest stadiums in the league. guess it's kind of intimidating for opposing teams to come in hear and have to play in such a dump because of the swirling winds and the crowd noise but it is wayyyy out-dated. i mean what cold-weather, open stadium plays with grassy-turf, instead of real grass (i.e. pittsburgh, cleveland, green bay, new england, etc...). By the way i have been to cleveland stadium and heinz field. both stadiums are awesome. the are both easily accessible because both are downtown. both provide an up to date stadium while not losing the craziness of the fans.

Lambeau is unique. It has grass but with synthetic grass and other support "woven" in. The field is, believe it or not, its half turf/half grass.

Stadiums with grass:

FedEx Field

Arrowhead Stadium

Mile High Stadium

Dolphin Stadium

Bank of America Stadium

Cleveland Browns Stadium

Qualcomm Stadium

Candlestick Park

LP Field

Lincoln Financial Field

Jacksonville Municipal Stadium

Raymond James Stadium

Heinz Field

Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum

Soldier Field

University of Phoenix Stadium

Reliant Stadium

Stadiums with turf:

Ralph Wilson Stadium

Meadowlands / new Meadowlands

M&T Bank Stadium

Qwest Field

Paul Brown Stadium

Gilette Stadium

new Cowboys stadium

Ford Field

Georgia Dome

Superdome

Lucas Oil Stadium

Metrodome

Edward Jones Dome

I'd love to get a grass field - especially considering our stadium isn't used for other events that would tear up the turf - but with grass in this climate you run the risk of losing the ability to grow grass later in the year, resulting in a terrible playing surface. That's why the Pats changed to turf, and why folks in Pittsburgh are often crying out for turf (but the team refuses to switch... so far).

I have zero problem with RWS.

Actually, I will be upset when and if the Bills move out of it.... Especially if it is into a dome.

I have no problem with it and still enjoy going to games there, but it IS a dump. The parking lots, the stadium concourses, bathrooms.... the entire place (minus the suites and club levels) is a toilet. But I do agree leaving it for a dome would suck.

If only [insert new owner here] were rich enough to build an open air stadium downtown with an attached events/convention center to generate revenue year-round.

I love it to death, but The Ralph is a dump. Period.

As 8and8forever mentioned, too many people turn the stadium and parking lots into their personal toilet. Concourses are tight, dark, dank and disgusting; bathrooms are tiny and scarce; there's what... ONE ATM on the entire property?

I agree. RICH (can't see my way to call it anything else) could use a bit of an upgrade.

Places I've been to:

M&T Bank Stadium: in my opinion, the best stadium in the NFL, bar none. I've sat down low and up high, and the sight-lines from both are fantastic, concourses are open, the stadium is easy to get around, plenty of bathrooms and concession stands, its clean... top notch.

It is a really nice place. I've been there quite a few times (it's 'bout 15 minutes from my house). For the most part, their fans are okay, but you'll run into a few boorish drunks (though not nearly as many as @ RICH).

FedEx Field: as another poster mentioned, the amenities are second to NONE at this point, the stadium is clean, the concourses are nice... but there's ZERO atmosphere in there, and if you're sitting up high it can feel like you're a mile away from the field. Plus, the stadium has obstructed view seats. IN THE 21ST CENTURY. Epic fail.

Yeah, the obstructed view thing could be better (still, we had fun in our FREE obstructed view seats to last year's Bills-Redskins game thanks to plenzmd), but the thing that bothers me is the long commute from where you park (unless you own or purchase an expensive parking pass) to the shuttles that take you to FedEx Field...and the even longer wait to get out of their parking lot after the game (remember, it is 'bout 10,000 more people than what RICH holds).

Heinz Field: awesome. Second only to Baltimore, and amazing for the same reasons.

I've been to this place quite a few times also (was just there for the Chargers-Stillers playoff game), and I agree. It's a very nice place and they have enough activities to keep you busy and to make it a family friendly environment (live bands, play area for kids, the Great Hall where you can observe Stiller history). I'd say that for the whole experience, it's even better than M&T Bank Stadium.

To be honest, some of the idiots at Bills fans could USE getting priced out. It isn't always a bad thing when the car full of 20-year olds that shows up, gets wasted, pukes and passes out in the stadium can't afford to come to the games. Ideally, any new stadium or Ralph renovation would cut capacity to the high 60,000's, raise prices a bit, drive up demand/cut supply, and price out some of the jerks who use it as an excuse to make asses of themselves (and yes, I realize this would likely result in the pricing out of perfectly civil, die hard fans... to them I say, welcome to the NFL of Kraft, Snyder, Jones, Johnson and Mara).

Easily the best part of your post. I couldn't agree more. It would be nice to go to a game and not have to deal w/ as many drunken idiots who supposedly are Bills fans.

The Ralph is a nice stadium. However it's not about if it's a nice stadium or not, it's if it has enough luxury boxes that can sell for bookoo bucks to big shots. The owners don't have to share that revenue with the rest of the teams, so it's a gold mine for them. It's also about when a team gets (the taxpayers to buy) a new stadium, the value of the team goes way up. That's what this whole new stadium jazz is about.

I've been to:

Cotton Bowl when the Cowboys used to play there. For all I knew at the time it was fine. Of course I was only about 8 years old at the time!

Texas Stadium - Before Jerry Jones bought the team it was nice. He then started to trash it so he could get the taxpayers to build him a new stadium which they now are. Cool design. Fans are out of the elements while the game in played as it should be, in the elements. Reliant Stadium in Houston - Nice but still, a Dome. Went down there for teh game in Blue Dredsloe's first season. Houston fans were making fun of us until we came back and won.

Super Dome before Katrina - Went there to see Doug Flutie vs. the Saints in the last game of the season. Rob Johnson started instead and the Bills whipped the Aint's. Then Rob Johnson started again the next week in Tennesse is the most bone headed decision Ralph has ever made. Anyway. Domes are wierd. They turn the lights down and shoot off fireworks. But still in the halls and stuff it's quiet. It's just wierd.

Qwest Field in Seattle - Very nice stadium. Similar design to Texas Stadium where much of the crowd (not all) is under the overhang so should it ever rain there, you can stay dry. The club is not near as good as the Ralph. The food is not near as good and it's too crowded.

Ford Field in Detroit - Went there for Super Bowl XL. Saw the Miracles play in front of the stadium before the game. Very cool. It's a dome though. You wear coats and hats and gloves because it's cold out and then you gotta stuff 'em under your seat or wear them inside. It's a dome.

The Ralph - We sit in the club seats. Very nice. The club food is great. I have sat in non club seats too. Fans are very rowdy. You ladies don't want to know what goes on in the Men's rest room at those games. DO NOT wear a visiting team jersey in there! When the team is doing well it is the most raucous stadium I've been in.

I grew up in South Garland in the 70's..Went to a few a Cotton Bowl games and my mom always got us 3 games a year at Texas Stadium.I was in awe when I first walked into Texas Stadium..The Theme from Dallas playing, Cowboy Ray..It was pretty neat..Ive been to the Murph in San Diego, Sun Devil Stadium, Rca Dome, both Tampa Stadiums, Meadowlands, The Coliseum, Notre Dame, Michigan Stadium, SuperDome, Rose Bowl, Jax Stadium, Dolphins Stadium,The Ralph..I have got to say the nicest place to watch a game I have been to is Raymond James..As far as atmospheres go it is the The Ralph..

Oakland and SF- both play in stadiums made for baseball, Suck. Candlestick has very narrow hallways.

Candlestick is also a NIGHTMARE to get out of after a game. I know not many agree with me on this,but I like the Oakland Colisseum. Easy getting to and from the stadium,decent facilities and food and good views of the field,even from Mount Davis. My only complaint would be they could use a few more restrooms.

I have no problem with it and still enjoy going to games there, but it IS a dump. The parking lots, the stadium concourses, bathrooms.... the entire place (minus the suites and club levels) is a toilet. But I do agree leaving it for a dome would suck.

If only [insert new owner here] were rich enough to build an open air stadium downtown with an attached events/convention center to generate revenue year-round.

If I had assurances that they would do it right, I would have no problem if there was a new stadium built. I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that it would be a bargain-basement dome, which would take the soul out of attending bills games

Actually, the week after the Saints game was the game that Flutie fumbled away the game ..and the QB switch the following year was Wade's call. No reliable news source has ever offered any proof that Ralph told him to make the switch...only that he was in favor of it

Yeah you're right. I looked it up and sure enough. I'm going to have to try to dig up some old stories from that Fish game or something. I vaguely remember it. Everyone always point to Flutie fumbling away the game. Maybe it's just my selective memory.

Hey, don't try to confuse me with facts!

If I had assurances that they would do it right, I would have no problem if there was a new stadium built. I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that it would be a bargain-basement dome, which would take the soul out of attending bills games

Rest assured the NFL wouldn't allow that, May Day. Any new stadium that is built needs to pass muster with the NFL. I'm not saying the league has say over every aspect of a stadium's development (they do have certain requirements for things like the filed, locker facilities, broadcast booths, coaches booths, where cameras are to be placed, etc), but there will never... EVER... be any "bargain-basement" stadium built in the NFL.

They simply won't allow their collective product to be sullied by another Pontiac Silverdome or Three Rivers Stadium.

And no offense, but nobody's going to give you any assurances about anything. Some of the "soul" of going to a Bills game is going to die no matter what sort of stadium they move into... and like I've been saying throughout this thread, that won't necessarily be a bad thing.

Yeah, the obstructed view thing could be better (still, we had fun in our FREE obstructed view seats to last year's Bills-Redskins game thanks to plenzmd), but the thing that bothers me is the long commute from where you park (unless you own or purchase an expensive parking pass) to the shuttles that take you to FedEx Field...and the even longer wait to get out of their parking lot after the game (remember, it is 'bout 10,000 more people than what RICH holds).

Agree 100% R. Rich.

FedEx probably has the absolute WORST access of any stadium in the league. Fortunately, I've only attended games with (a) partners of the firm I used to work for who had indoor club seats or (b) friends from college who sit in the lower bowl in some sort of "preferred" area and have parking passes for lots immediately next to the stadium.

Ever try using the mens room outside of section 116? There is one 3 foot door way that has to be used as both an enterence and exit. Once inside you are welcomed with throths. By the time you take a piss, you have missed the majority of the game. This is my biggest pet peave about the Ralph, the bathroom facilities are unfit for even animals.

I think the Bills and the City of Buffalo should request a couple billion $$ from the TARP fund. Both are needy.

I went to Lambeau Field before they renovated it.

In 1998, Lambeau was a surprisingly basic stadium, smaller than I thought it would be. But it's all the intangibles there (real-life "Field of Dreams", history, etc.).

I hear that the renovations done earlier this decade have made Lambeau Field the class of the NFL.

GOTR said it earlier, and he's right...there are synthetic fibers woven into the famous "Frozen Tundra".

I went to the Bills-Redskins game last year at FedEx Field. That stadium is huge. The seats go very high up around the entire field. Very nice sight lines. Tremendous stadium. Ravens stadium is very nice as well, although not nearly as big as Fed Ex. Have also been to the Georgia Dome several times. Very sterile place. Domes suck bigtime.

Ralph Wilson stadium is very basic, but the sight lines are solid and the atmosphere can not be beat. Now lets get a winning team to go with the best fans in the NFL.

What makes seats luxury boxes? Not to sound stupid, but just what is the legal NFL description? Why can't Ralph et all start referring to all of the club seats as luxury club level seats raise the price by a few bucks and keep all of this profit away from the other owners? Hell we can put a few of those red ropes and gold poles you see at banks around the entrances and exits, have a few girls sell drinks and food to you right in your seat and bring your check at the end of the night. Who says we have to match whatever Jerry does?

I haven't been to a Bills game in quite some time, so I'll defer to those who have been recently. I had season tickets from

1987 to 1996. My impression of the Ralph was always that it was a pretty well kept, basic stadium. It lacks the amenities of other stadiums, but I personally don't go to a football game to entertained by music, fireworks or light shows. I'm ther to watch football, so the so-called "amenities" of other stadiums around the league actually detract from the game, IMO. Some of the comments I've seen on this thread make it seem like the Ralph is dumpy, but a lot of that has more to do with fan behavior than the actual stadium itself. A few thousand morons can make any stadium look crappy in a hurry.

I've been to games in Cleveland and Pittsburgh (both pre and post new stadiums), Detroit and Minnesota. The new stadiums in Cleveland and Pittsburgh are pretty nice. I was unimpressed with Detroit and Minnesota, but that was mostly due to the domes. It's like watching a game in a big warehouse or something.

The worst stadium in the world, ever, was Cleveland Municipal Stadium. I had the unfortunate experience to watch two games there from the dog pound. The dog pound was constructed of wooden benches (more like two-by-fours) that allowed the frigid, moist air coming off of Lake Erie to go right down the field, under the benches and right up into my backside. All day long. It didn't matter if you stood up or sat down. Just a frigid blast of air on my rear the whole game.

And dog pound fans gave new meaning to the term "moron".