Here's why Pioli went to "small market" Kansas City

VJ91

Maybe my math is bad but to raise 425 million from a 3/8 of a cent tax levy it would take sales of around $11.3 trillion dollars. I had no idea the KC economy was that robust.

The tax is projected to raise $850 million over $25 years to finance $425 million in construction costs, with the remainder spent on interest and future major stadium repairs.

That would take sales of about $9.1 billion per year, and with inflation, probably a lot less in real terms. Total personal income in the KC metro area was $78 billion in 2007 (versus $40 billion in the Buffalo-NF metro), so it shouldn't be that heavy a lift.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it surprise you to know that both the Royals and the Chiefs agreed to each pay $100 million toward the cost of the improvements? Or that while the taxpayers gave them something, they didn't give them the money to put a roof over both stadiums.

Um, yes! My first question is, where the hell did the Royals find $100 Million when they don't spend more then $20 Million a year in payroll to field their "triple A" baseball team?? Secondly, why would the Hunt family pay $100 Million dollars towards stadium improvements? Oh wait I know, because the Hunt family really cares about the city of Kansas City and really wants to stay there! Again I say, no wonder Pioli landed there.

How much has inflation been in 10 years compounded? "Half that amount" ten years ago was worth a lot more with how inflation has affected building and construction industries.

How is it the Bills or Ralph Wilson responsible for 8.75% sales tax in New York?

You are well on the way to justifying yo yourself switching teams.

According to inflation calculators, the approximately $160 Million we spent to refurbish Rich Stadium in 1998 would have cost us around $215 Million in 2008. Still less then the other cities have paid. Come on, we are only talking about 10 years - not 30.

And I am certainly not on my way to justifying "yo myself switching teams." I bleed Bills red and blue, just like you.

Buffalo could be a transportation hub - if Buffalo's stellar leadership had a clue.

Buffalo sits on one of 2 routes from Toronto to the entire US, but they have been dicking around with how to update the Peace Bridge for 20 years while Windsor/Detroit have exploited the opportunity

because Detroit is so much better because of it right?

Tom Donohoe was a bigger name, with at least as good or better reputation around the league than Scott Pioli, and he chose to come to small market Buffalo not that long ago. Maybe it didn't turn out well but he was a big name and catch at the time, even if he lost out in the Cowher feud.

I disagree,Pioli has won NFL executive of the year twice now, Donahoe?. Pioli is probably THE best and most highly thought of personnel man in the NFL ATM. Several teams tried to hire Pioli last year and he turned them all down. It was after his understudy at NE,Thomas Dimetroff did so well at Atlanta this season that he gained the desire to leave the Patriots.

Donahoe lost a FO power struggle with Bill Cowher before he departed from the Steelers so his stock had fallen greatly,perhaps Ralph Wilson regarded him very highly, if so that was his undoing.

"On January 24th, 2006, the Chiefs and Royals both signed 25-year leases with Jackson County officials to keep both clubs at the Truman Sports Complex. On April 4th, Jackson County voters approved a 3/8 cent tax measure that was anticipated to raise $425 million in improvements to the Sports Complex, including $325 for Arrowhead. Those renovation plans also included a new practice facility and office complex for the Chiefs, thanks to contributions from the Hunt family."...

.....taken from link: http://www.kcchiefs.com/history/2000s/

That's how real taxpaying fans keep their NFL franchises content, by voting to foot the bill for a $325 Million face lift for their "Rich Stadium."....Arrowhead, er, New Arrowhead Stadium.

I remember New York State, Erie County & Business Backs the Bills having collective strokes and heart attacks desperately trying to come up with half that amount to remodel our Rich Stadium 10 years ago, to keep the Bills viable in today's NFL. And sure enough 10 years later, those improvements to the Ralph fall flat compared to other cities spending $280 Million to almost $1 Billion dollars on their new or re-modeled palaces......in huge markets or small markets.

Tack on the Chiefs being over $30 Million under the cap, and being told he's in complete charge of football operations, and it's pretty easy to see why Scott Pioli landed in Kansas City. Watch for a Miami-like improvement for them next year.

just shows how stupid chiefs fans are

No, here's why he went to KC:

$ and Power.

Very true!

Given enough money and a guaranteed competetive team (winning) I'd be happy at the Rockpile.

The Rockpile was built in the 30's as a Roosevelt WPA project. I believe that's where the AUD and the Airport Terminal building came from too.

Now if we could just convince Barry to send a few Billion to WNY maybe we would end up with a new stadium.

Um, yes! My first question is, where the hell did the Royals find $100 Million when they don't spend more then $20 Million a year in payroll to field their "triple A" baseball team??

They got it from the luxury tax Yankees pay every year to help prop up the small-market teams ... so the yankees helped pay for stadium improvements in K.C. and then asked New York taxpayers for hundreds of millions to build a new Yankee Stadium ... ironic, isn't it?

Of course I realize it. But I also realize that my favorite team is the Buffalo Bills, not the Kansas City Chiefs. Doesn't it piss you off that Scott Pioli is now in charge of them, moving into their new palace, over 30 Million under the cap, soon to hire a new head coach? While we pay our 8.75% sales tax and cheer for a perpetual 7-9-0 team going nowhere with a 90 year old owner, crying poor while he may be worth more the the Hunt family for all we know?

I guess it's just our luck as Bills' fans. No money to afford the best stadiums, and no ownership that cares about winning anymore. :thumbsup:

Do you somehow expect Ralph to pay for everything when every single NFL owner extorts huge money from the state, fed and local govs?

And while we spent about half of that about ten years ago, with dollar erosion, seriously, those are probably almost exactly the same amount. Where is the problem? Where is the cheapness?

We acquired a company in KC recently. I was really surprised when I went to visit the city. Strong economy and great atmosphere. Nice mid-sized, mid western city and a great sports town to boot.

Yeah, but it's in the middle of Tornado Alley. Live in Nashville now. Used to live in Rochester. It's no contest. I'd rather drive/stay home in a blizzard than be in the path of a tornado. No fun!

Not sure where people are getting the $160 million number from with regard to the Rich Stadium renovation in 1998. The actual project cost was around $60 million, and it was a massive struggle to get that. The following link will take you to that informnation and an interesting review of "the Ralph".

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/BuffaloBills/index.htm

The sad reality is that WNY can not afford to compete in the modern NFL with cities that can dump massive amounts of taxpayer funds into stadium construction. At the prices the Bill's charge, they can not afford to pay for them either. PSL's, very expensive suites and club seats, and extremely high prices for all extras are the norm.

I would fully support a 5 cent increase in Erie County sales tax if it meant the Bills would stay in Buffalo long term.

I think the Bills should raise taxes on the people of Erie county to secure the future of the Bills as well. Erie county residents have it too damn easy.Its time they put in their fair share. Ralph has suffered enough and now we want Ralph to leave his daughter destitute.