Looking for tips & help about going to Canton

gsurdam

I have made up my mind that I am going to Canton for the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony this year. I know from seeing the turnout when Jim Kelly was inducted that there are plenty of you out there that can give me tips on what to do or not to do... What are the best hotels ? What area is the best to stay in to have the best experience ? So , anyone that can give me any information I would appreciate it. Thanks

I went to Canton for both Marv's induction in 2001 and for Kelly's in 2002. The first time just a friend and myself went on friday and came back on sunday. In 2002, my whole family (wife, 2 daughters, sister and her husband) we spent about 5 days there. There isn't much in the town of Canton other than the HOF, but we had a great time. What we did was rented a cabin at a place called Bear Creek Campground or something like that. A fully loaded cabin with a/c, fridge, shower, stove, etc. The campground had swimming pool, mini golf, horses, they gave you wood for a campfire, really a great time and only about 10 mins from Canton (1 exit I believe). I am a big autograph collector so we spent quite a bit of time at the only hotel in town, where all the HOF members and friends stay. They have the entrance fenced off about 10 feet or so from the door, and alot of the guys will walk over and sign for you. You can also get autos right at the Hall of Fame a day or so before the ceremony, as alot of ex players (and current players) go there to check it out. There are your usual restaurants in Canton, plus a few local ones. Starting in 2002, they moved the ceremony over to the football stadium and you are now required to get tickets, so go to nfl.com and go to the HOF link to see about tickets and when they go on sale. Overall, I have a great time, and hopefully will get back there soon again. Good luck and have fun. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I went to Canton for the Old County Buffet and Bowling night last October. Stay at the Motel 6 off Route #3 and bring your own towels. There is a fat broad with an overbite who hangs out at Bobo's truckstop and will give you lovin' for a pack of smokes. Don't drink the water since it will make you persnickety. Be back to your room before the street lights come on and you will have the best night of your lonely, confused life. :unsure:

I went to Canton for both Marv's induction in 2001 and for Kelly's in 2002. The first time just a friend and myself went on friday and came back on sunday. In 2002, my whole family (wife, 2 daughters, sister and her husband) we spent about 5 days there. There isn't much in the town of Canton other than the HOF, but we had a great time. What we did was rented a cabin at a place called Bear Creek Campground or something like that. A fully loaded cabin with a/c, fridge, shower, stove, etc. The campground had swimming pool, mini golf, horses, they gave you wood for a campfire, really a great time and only about 10 mins from Canton (1 exit I believe). I am a big autograph collector so we spent quite a bit of time at the only hotel in town, where all the HOF members and friends stay. They have the entrance fenced off about 10 feet or so from the door, and alot of the guys will walk over and sign for you. You can also get autos right at the Hall of Fame a day or so before the ceremony, as alot of ex players (and current players) go there to check it out. There are your usual restaurants in Canton, plus a few local ones. Starting in 2002, they moved the ceremony over to the football stadium and you are now required to get tickets, so go to nfl.com and go to the HOF link to see about tickets and when they go on sale. Overall, I have a great time, and hopefully will get back there soon again. Good luck and have fun. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for your input. The cabin sounds great . My wife & I love to camp out.

I went to Canton for the Old County Buffet and Bowling night last October. Stay at the Motel 6 off Route #3 and bring your own towels. There is a fat broad with an overbite who hangs out at Bobo's truckstop and will give you lovin' for a pack of smokes. Don't drink the water since it will make you persnickety. Be back to your room before the street lights come on and you will have the best night of your lonely, confused life. :(

+1

I'm jealous. I've been to the HOF twice. Once when I was a kid with my Dad and brothers. The next time was when my wife took me to see the Jim Kelly induction. Fun.

The Hall is great. Study up on some football history before you go. Read a book about the early history of the NFL. It'll give you a better sense of what you're looking at. Don't be in a hurry at all. Take your time and look at everything. Make sure you go to the room down by the gift shop where they show NFL Films on a film projector all day long and watch a couple. My wife and I saw part of an old football follies.

You can pretty much stay wherever you want. The Hall is right off of the main highway. The campground the other guy was talking about sounded cool.

Like I say, study up and don't be in a hurry and spend all day there. It's fun.

I'm jealous. I've been to the HOF twice. Once when I was a kid with my Dad and brothers. The next time was when my wife took me to see the Jim Kelly induction. Fun.

The Hall is great. Study up on some football history before you go. Read a book about the early history of the NFL. It'll give you a better sense of what you're looking at. Don't be in a hurry at all. Take your time and look at everything. Make sure you go to the room down by the gift shop where they show NFL Films on a film projector all day long and watch a couple. My wife and I saw part of an old football follies.

You can pretty much stay wherever you want. The Hall is right off of the main highway. The campground the other guy was talking about sounded cool.

Like I say, study up and don't be in a hurry and spend all day there. It's fun.

Very good advice. While it is not necessary to do it, it will definitely enhance your experience. Here is a good place to start on the early history of professional football: Professional Football Researchers Association.

Here's what we did and what my recommendation would be, seeing as theres not a whole lot to do in Canton we stayed in Cleveland for a couple days because it is something you want to make a trip out of, and there was a whole bunch of fun stuff to do in Cleveland and then early Saturday morning we drove to Canton and because they changed the ceremony to night time, it gave us a whole day to check out the Hall of Fame itself.

I'm going. The last two times we went, we stayed at the holiday inn express in alliance, which is about a 30 minute drive to canton. We plan on staying there again this year too.

Thank you for your help...

Here's what we did and what my recommendation would be, seeing as theres not a whole lot to do in Canton we stayed in Cleveland for a couple days because it is something you want to make a trip out of, and there was a whole bunch of fun stuff to do in Cleveland and then early Saturday morning we drove to Canton and because they changed the ceremony to night time, it gave us a whole day to check out the Hall of Fame itself.

This is an excellent point. From the front door of the HOF to Cleveland airport is about 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive. If flying in, you might want to go through Cleveland. There is an airport in Akron but they don't have many flights. If yours gets cancelled you could end up having to rent a car and drive up to Cleveland. Happened to my wife and I when we went up for the Jim Kelly induction.

Huh ??? Practice what ???

You will actually want to stay in the Belden Village area. Its one exit north of the Hall of Fame and its the main location for restraunts and bars in the Canton area. There are plenty of hotels (Holiday Inn, Radison, Days Inn, etc...). If Canton has an upscale area, this would be it. I'm orignally from Buffalo, but have lived in the Canton area for the past 15 years. If you need any specific local information, please let me know. By the way, get your hotel ASAP. Hotel space has been very difficult to get the past few years b/c the HOF ceremony has been scheduled for the same weekend as the Firestone Golf Tournament in Akron (20 minutes HOF). If you've never been to a golf tournament, its worth the experience to see many of the worlds top players in a condensed field.

If you are looking for luxury accomodations, try Glenmoor Country Club. They have hotel rooms that may be available and its usually where most of the golfers stay for the tournament.

• 4 weeks later...

Moderators - could we pin ONE thread and make it for plans to attend the HOF this year in Canton?

That would make it like our tailgate threads, where we can go to one spot to corrdinate parties, tickets, tailgates, etc for the weekend of August 8th??

It would be much appreciated!

I went to Canton for the Old County Buffet and Bowling night last October. Stay at the Motel 6 off Route #3 and bring your own towels. There is a fat broad with an overbite who hangs out at Bobo's truckstop and will give you lovin' for a pack of smokes. Don't drink the water since it will make you persnickety. Be back to your room before the street lights come on and you will have the best night of your lonely, confused life. :wallbash:

crazyDingo FTW

:worthy: