Where do we get a TE and C?

lacoy38

Its pretty obvious that TE, C, and back up QB are our biggest offensive needs, i'm just wondering where we can acquire said players and have them make an instant impact. Backup QB will obviously be a FA and not a draft pick, i currently like guys like Kittna, Batch, or Leftwich. As far as TE and C I'm not sure if we draft both sign one as a FA/trade and draft the other, or acquire both via FA/trade.

The real question i think would be which position is more likel to be filled with a rookie and have that rookie be successful. I know thats based largely on the individual but certain positions like QB, WR often have a learning curve. I like guys like Gresham, Coffman, Pettigrew, and even Beckum at TE but we can't afford to wait for any development. Same can be said for Alex Mack or Unger at C; in addition i believe our 1st pick should be a DE so we would need to wait until rds 2 and 3 to fill the TE and C needs.

If i had my preference i'd like us to sign Jason Brown of Baltimore at C, and then trade a 2nd to Cleveland for Winslow, or sign Owen Daniels as a RFA (i think Daniels would fit in better than Winslow, plus he;s more durable).

Just curious how anyone else feels we can fix this mess!

Its pretty obvious that TE, C, and back up QB are our biggest offensive needs, i'm just wondering where we can acquire said players and have them make an instant impact. Backup QB will obviously be a FA and not a draft pick, i currently like guys like Kittna, Batch, or Leftwich. As far as TE and C I'm not sure if we draft both sign one as a FA/trade and draft the other, or acquire both via FA/trade.

The real question i think would be which position is more likel to be filled with a rookie and have that rookie be successful. I know thats based largely on the individual but certain positions like QB, WR often have a learning curve. I like guys like Gresham, Coffman, Pettigrew, and even Beckum at TE but we can't afford to wait for any development. Same can be said for Alex Mack or Unger at C; in addition i believe our 1st pick should be a DE so we would need to wait until rds 2 and 3 to fill the TE and C needs.

If i had my preference i'd like us to sign Jason Brown of Baltimore at C, and then trade a 2nd to Cleveland for Winslow, or sign Owen Daniels as a RFA (i think Daniels would fit in better than Winslow, plus he;s more durable).

Im just wondering....

Are the Cleveland Browns shopping Winslow? and would they accept a 2nd rounder?

As far as aquiring a center, I do like the idea of picking up Jason Brown, I also like the idea of signing Birk to a 2 year deal and picking up a center like Unger in the third round. Birk would be a good center to learn from.

As far as Owen Daniels is concerned, I like him, but i have a feeling he is going to command big bucks, and I love this year's TE's coming out of college. I'd rather go through the draft.

Im just wondering....

Are the Cleveland Browns shopping Winslow? and would they accept a 2nd rounder?

As far as aquiring a center, I do like the idea of picking up Jason Brown, I also like the idea of signing Birk to a 2 year deal and picking up a center like Unger in the third round. Birk would be a good center to learn from.

As far as Owen Daniels is concerned, I like him, but i have a feeling he is going to command big bucks, and I love this year's TE's coming out of college. I'd rather go through the draft.

Again people.......Winslow is not worth a 2nd rounder!!!!! I have said it many times, Randy Moss was had for a 4th round pick. Noway Winslow is worth a 2nd round pick! Maybe a 3rd at best, and thats even pushing it! Id puke if this organization gave up a 2nd round pick for a TE that can rarely stay on the field due to poor health!

its pretty obvious that you are wrong. its pretty obvious that we need a passrush

Again people.......Winslow is not worth a 2nd rounder!!!!! I have said it many times, Randy Moss was had for a 4th round pick. Noway Winslow is worth a 2nd round pick! Maybe a 3rd at best, and thats even pushing it! Id puke if this organization gave up a 2nd round pick for a TE that can rarely stay on the field due to poor health!

If he were healthy he'd be worth at least a second. I say he is worth a 3rd.

Guest dog14787
its pretty obvious that you are wrong. its pretty obvious that we need a passrush

Pass rusher to help the offense, hmmmm B-)

Having a young, inexperienced QB and not addressing the TE position properly is simply inexcusable in my opinion. :lol:

My first problem with this thread is that neither TE nor C are the biggest need on this team! We need a passrush!!!!!!! Oh yea and a coach, and a real GM. True TE would be nice but you do not have to have agreat TE to have a good offense. A center is needed I agree but a solid passrusher is 100 times more important.

Guest dog14787
My first problem with this thread is that neither TE nor C are the biggest need on this team! We need a passrush!!!!!!! Oh yea and a coach, and a real GM. True TE would be nice but you do not have to have agreat TE to have a good offense. A center is needed I agree but a solid passrusher is 100 times more important.

The poster said on offense, but considering how much not having a decent TE on our team has hurt us and that most of the games were lost because of a lack of offense, some folks including myself might say obtaining a good TE is just as important.

I say draft a TE and sign a C in FA. If we don't take Gresham at 11, he will be gone by round two. If think Cook from SC could be had in round three. He played well even with all of SC quarterback problems. He could be a bit of a sleeper.

The simple likelihood regarding drafting a C or a TE is that if you are demanding that this player contribute significantly to the team as a rookie or start in his first year, once you get out of the elite players (a top 10 choice) it begins to get pretty unlikely this is gonna happen for a team.

Though the conventional wisdom is that a first round pick should start at some point in his rookie year, the actual real life occurrence is that a look at the end of the season depth charts reveals it is just a little over 50% of first round picks who are listed as #1 on the depth chart.

Even worse there is a strong bias toward these successful players (though often it is the case that these players start in part because their teams are so bad or the cash commitment and media commitment forces a team to start a Mike Williams even though many have given up on him) coming from a top 10 pick. I am not sure what are pick will be but likely the mediocre Bills finishing 7-9 yet again will be picking just after the elite players are gone,

The Bills if they are looking for immediate help from a C or TE likely are going to have to go both draft choice and FA to likely find a contribution next year at these positions unless they can pull off another outstanding draft like the one which saw them step up to get McCargo, but it was actually second day pick Williams who seemed like a redundant choice at the time who gave them even a mediocre starter.

There are going to be a number of pretty decent FA TEs on the market, including, I believe Gonzalez from KC. You know, that guy everyone thought we should have gotten in the middle of the season. Either way, the TE situation can be addressed in FA. Buffalo needs to address the problems on the offensive line (both really, but this was an offensive oriented thread). Alex Mack would be a great draft choice, and is considered one of the best center prospects to emerge in several years. He would be an immediate upgrade, allowing us to give Melvin Fowler the boot and move Preston to back up guard. Buffalo would likely have to take Mack with the 11th pick, because after Buffalo picks there will be a number of teams that are looking for big upgrades at the C position as well.

That being said, Buffalo needs to draft at least one pass rusher in either the first or second rounds, so we'll see what they do. The lines are the top need this year on both sides of the ball. I think there can be little dispute about that.

when winslow is healthy he is the best TE in the league. its the other stuff that holds him back--winslow and oss were in very different situations. Moss was a 4th rounder becaus enobody wanted him and because he was making boatloads on a very bad team and was a malcontent--healthy scratches before he was traded.

when winslow is healthy he is the best TE in the league. its the other stuff that holds him back--winslow and oss were in very different situations. Moss was a 4th rounder becaus enobody wanted him and because he was making boatloads on a very bad team and was a malcontent--healthy scratches before he was traded.

Thats the reason I would never give up a 2nd rounder. Thats too much for a guy who cant stay on the field. And the Moss thing, was just to show what you can get if you are patient.

I think they are best served picking up the best available DL in free agency.

Their draft options sitting at #11 (whether you draft or trade down) look much, much better if they arent forced to draft the best available DE. I dont think any of these DE's in the draft are the answer.

It will cost huge bucks, but it sounded like Ralph was willing to spend in FA. Could you imagine our line with Haynesworth and Stroud in the middle. Speaking of Stroud, I sense he really likes it here and will be a good ambassador to lure someone here.

If the DL is shored up via FA. You pick Curry or Oher at 11 if available. If not you trade down. If the scouts are hell bent on getting Alex Mack, take him. If not, TE Gresham. There are 2-3 other good C's to be had in Round 2.

So I guess, Im roundaboutly saying I would like Gresham

Exactly i wouldn't take K2 for anything higher than a fourth and i am not sure i would make that trade. he has trouble staying on the field. We need lineman on both sides of the ball, especially defense, draft them. Get two ends and two tackles, competition makes them all better. Get a proven center too much for a rookie to handle and draft linebackers. i want a defense that takes the ball away from people. Defense wins championships.

i want a defense that takes the ball away from people. Defense wins championships.

That seems to be exactly where the league stands now. Look at the 8 teams remaining. Now subtract the 2 teams who won flukey divisions.

Tennessee

Pittsburgh

Baltimore

NY Giants

Philadelphia

Carolina

I think the Bills are close to having the necessary ground game. A very good center can be had in round 2. (there are 4 of them to choose from).

The defense is not THAT far off. But they do need a few key personnel at key spots. If they were to somehow land Haynesworth and draft Aaron Curry, our defense could already be there.

But Randy Moss wanted out and the Raiders were looking to deal, he is definitly worth more then a 4th, so it shouldn't be used as a bar to judge trade worth. There was no way any other team in the league would have got Moss for only a 4th. The Browns may only be interested in dealing Winslow if they receive a great offer since they aren't forced into a deal now

...And the Moss thing, was just to show what you can get if you are patient.

Not picking on you, but I absolutely hate this logic. Getting someone of Moss's quality for a 4th rounder has happened all of once in my memory. It's like winning the lottery. Sure it happens but to imply that we shouldn't be willing to trade a higher pick for a good player because we need to wait for the next Randy-Moss-for-a-4th-rounder is lunacy.