If Jim Kelly is right and a new stadium in Niagara Falls

Traffic has been mentioned in other threads on this topic, and touched on here, too. If the stadium were built in downtown NF, the traffic situation would be horrible, with the current road situation. NF Blvd is the only major alternative to Grand Island, from Buffalo. There are several country roads that lead to NF, but they would bottle neck into Lewiston Road/Main st. The Rainbow Bridge is ill equipped to handle that much Canadian traffic, but the Lewiston Queenston Bridge is available, and the traffic there would probably clog the Robert Moses Parkway.

Any downtown project in NF would require major road construction and repair. Of course, a stadium will never be built in NF, so it isn't much of an issue.

agreed...downtown NF wouldnt work because of traffic even if the people there were competent and even if the town wasnt a scummy dump

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed...downtown NF wouldnt work because of traffic even if the people there were competent and even if the town wasnt a scummy dump

SO... If this is REALLY something Jim Kelly said makes me wonder about the VALIDITY of him ACTUALLY putting together a group to buy the Bills for a BILLION dollars.

He is our sports hero but a solid business man?

If this is something Jim said could someone please post it here?

SO... If this is REALLY something Jim Kelly said makes me wonder about the VALIDITY of him ACTUALLY putting together a group to buy the Bills for a BILLION dollars.

He is our sports hero but a solid business man?

If this is something Jim said could someone please post it here?

Got Google?

From what I remember, Kelly made a passing mention about putting a stadium in Niagara Falls as a way to better market to the Canadian fans. I don't think it is an integral part of his (probably non-existent) plan to buy the Bills (in conjunction with people who have money).

A few points:

1 - believe it or not, there is NO ROOM on the outer harbor for a new stadium, unless you're rehabilitating the steel mill brownfields. The old Pier land isn't nearly wide enough, there are still viable businesses (Nanodynamics, for one) utilizing large swaths of land south of there, and besides... we've made so many mistakes with the waterfront in the past, now is the time to continue the momentum of creating public spaces there. Bike paths, boat docks, living and work space... not some white elephant that - even if it had a retractable roof - would only be used at MOST 30-40 times a year. Not to mention access to the outer harbor is TERRIBLE (how many times would the Skyway be closed during the season?).

2 - A Super Bowl is never... EVER... coming to Buffalo. Detroit, Minneapolis and Indianapolis have much larger convention infrastructure that NFL rules demand (large conference spaces, a large number of hotel rooms, etc.). It would take a massive turnaround for the city - and a billion dollar+ retractable roof stadium - to even warrant CONSIDERATION.

3 - Jim Kelly couldn't run a restaurant in the Main Place Mall, which - by the by - he still carries debt for (people he owes money to are STILL trying to collect). I'd have very little confidence in him running the Bills. The best we can hope for at this point is that he's become hunting buddies with someone - or met someone through his Hunter's Hope/universal newborn screeing work - with boatloads of cash. Billions. He'd likely be a figurehead/minority owner for a purchase group at that point.

A few points:

1 - believe it or not, there is NO ROOM on the outer harbor for a new stadium, unless you're rehabilitating the steel mill brownfields. The old Pier land isn't nearly wide enough, there are still viable businesses (Nanodynamics, for one) utilizing large swaths of land south of there, and besides... we've made so many mistakes with the waterfront in the past, now is the time to continue the momentum of creating public spaces there. Bike paths, boat docks, living and work space... not some white elephant that - even if it had a retractable roof - would only be used at MOST 30-40 times a year. Not to mention access to the outer harbor is TERRIBLE (how many times would the Skyway be closed during the season?).

2 - A Super Bowl is never... EVER... coming to Buffalo. Detroit, Minneapolis and Indianapolis have much larger convention infrastructure that NFL rules demand (large conference spaces, a large number of hotel rooms, etc.). It would take a massive turnaround for the city - and a billion dollar+ retractable roof stadium - to even warrant CONSIDERATION.

3 - Jim Kelly couldn't run a restaurant in the Main Place Mall, which - by the by - he still carries debt for (people he owes money to are STILL trying to collect). I'd have very little confidence in him running the Bills. The best we can hope for at this point is that he's become hunting buddies with someone - or met someone through his Hunter's Hope/universal newborn screeing work - with boatloads of cash. Billions. He'd likely be a figurehead/minority owner for a purchase group at that point.

Thanks! Great post! AGAIN VERY FACTUAL!

Reopen the 'Turtle'!

Jesus... that's just hilarious! That's what I love about TBD, the obscure references people make to places, events, people, etc... Thanks for the laugh.

A few points:

Point # 2 is spot on Rockpile... Denver has tried to throw its hat in the ring for a Super Bowl at Invesco... aside from the fact that it's not an indoor/outdoor stadium, the city couldn't handle the convention infrastructure requirements and no offense, but Denver is way ahead of Buffalo in terms of accomodating conventions. Something else to consider is the ability for the airport to handle the increase in traffic...

Like you said in point 3, Kelly is going to have to have some connections with some verrrry heavy-hitters in order to pull this off and likely he'll be "the face" of the ownership group and that's it. I didn't know he still owed on that place he ran in the Main Place Mall though... :lol:

I would also recommend the novel "City of Light" which is "electrifying". Neat novel with Buffalo, the Falls, Electric Power Development, Grover Cleveland and all sorts of neat local flavor.

http://www.amazon.com/City-Light-Lauren-Belfer/dp/038533401X

That's a fictional novel isn't it? If it's the one I'm thinking of, I've heard great things about it.

Point # 2 is spot on Rockpile... Denver has tried to throw its hat in the ring for a Super Bowl at Invesco... aside from the fact that it's not an indoor/outdoor stadium, the city couldn't handle the convention infrastructure requirements and no offense, but Denver is way ahead of Buffalo in terms of accomodating conventions. Something else to consider is the ability for the airport to handle the increase in traffic...

Denver, the city that just hosted the Democratic convention, doesn't have the infrastructure to host the Superbowl?

I don't think so.

Yes, traffic would be fugly ... better yet would be Williams Road in Wheatfield where the OZ park was dreamed up to be ... better access to surface roads. Canadian traffic could cross at Rainbow or Queenston. There would still need to be some new roadwork, but not nearly as much as downtown Nia Falls.

Again moot point ... it's not going to happen.

You get the Rochester crowd no matter what

I haven't been to a game in 5 years, because of where it is. I gave up season tickets because the team was going nowhere (and still is) and the drive home is unbearable. If the stadium was easier to get to from Rochester, you would draw more.

other than the land already ceded/sold to the seneca nation, i'd say the entire city of NF is available.

that said, if they are to stay in WNY, moving the bills/building a new stadium anywhere outside the buffalo city limits (again) is about the dumbest idea i can think of.

That's a fictional novel isn't it? If it's the one I'm thinking of, I've heard great things about it.

City of Light is historical fiction. the plot is fictional, but there is a lot of fairly accurate history in the book, as well. I got it years ago, as a present from The Senator.

Denver, the city that just hosted the Democratic convention, doesn't have the infrastructure to host the Superbowl?

I don't think so.

Look, I'm just repeating what was printed in the news a couple years ago.

That's what the NFL told them... now maybe the DNC will help change some minds, but I'm only going off what was printed in the fish wraps out here a couple years ago. So Denver said screw you NFL, we're going to make a bid for the 2022 Olympics now!

I don't think so.

I have to agree with Tortured, Bullpen. I don't think that's what's keeping Denver out of the Super Bowl running. Two things work together to keep it from going to Denver:

1 - open air stadium

2 - NFL rule requiring mean temperature of 50 degrees at the time of the game

Can't imagine Denver in February is that balmy.

I have to agree with Tortured, Bullpen. I don't think that's what's keeping Denver out of the Super Bowl running. Two things work together to keep it from going to Denver:

1 - open air stadium

2 - NFL rule requiring mean temperature of 50 degrees at the time of the game

Can't imagine Denver in February is that balmy.

Quite right... after all, the DNC was in August.

City of Light is historical fiction. the plot is fictional, but there is a lot of fairly accurate history in the book, as well. I got it years ago, as a present from The Senator.

Thanks for remembering that, Deano - I've had some wonderful conversations with Lauren Belfer since that book. It is a great read - the plot is laced with tons of historical facts about Buffalo in its turn-of-the century heyday, including the Rumsey family and how they ran (still run?) the city, Mary Talbert (suffragette, founder of Niagara Movement-forerunner of NAACP, etc., etc.)

Some other things the younger folks should know about this once-great city...

-In 1896, Ellicott Square Building was largest office building in the world

-On November 16,1896, the first electricity is transmitted from Niagara Falls to Buffalo, at 12:01AM (so the Sabbath Sun Nov. 15th would not be disturbed); all of it is allocated to the Buffalo Street Railway Company for streetcar operation, the first streetcar system in a large city to be electrified

-In 1898, the New York State Legislature appropriates ten thousand dollars for the country's first cancer-only laboratory, the NY State Pathological Laboratory for the Study of Cancer at UB; Dr. Roswell Park is the first director, and the center now bears his name

-In 1901, Buffalo was the 8th largest city in the US in terms of population

-In 1901, Buffalo had 60 millionaires, more per capita than any city in the US.

-In 1901, Buffalo boasted more than 200 miles of asphalt paved roads, which were more than any other city in the world. (Source: BECH "A Guide to the Pan-Am Grounds")

-1901 - Instant coffee first served here at Pan American Expo, 1901

-In 1901, Larkin Soap Co. was the largest in the world (think Frank Lloyd Wright's Larkin Building, the Darwin Martin House, Graycliff, & 'Larkland' - the Larkin family complex at Lincoln & Forest)

-In 1901 Pratt and Lambert varnish company was the largest in the world when it moved to Buffalo

-In 1902, Willis Carrier, a new employee at the Buffalo Forge Co., invented the air conditioner

-In 1910, the greatest grain port in the world

-In 1910, second largest milling center in the world (Minneapolis was first)

-1911 - In the first half of the 20th Century, second largest railroad terminus in US (Chicago was first). Source: 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica

-In 1914, Concrete Central grain elevator was the largest in the world

-In 1915, Col. Francis Ward Pumping Station at the foot of Porter Ave. was the largest pumping station in the country.

-By 1917, during WW1, The Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company was the largest aircraft manufacturer in the world. (Source: Business First, "Buffalo Century") The 2050 Elmwood Ave. plant (now M. Wile and Home Depot) was the largest manufacturing airplane plant in the world.

-In 1926, Buffalo Municipal Airport in the Town of Cheektowaga was built years before New York and other larger cities had airfields of their own.

-During WW2, Bethlehem-Lackawanna Steel became the world's largest steelmaking operation.

-During WW2, William "Wild Bill" Donovan became the director of the OSS (the forerunner of the CIA). He was a graduate of St. Joseph's Collegiate Institute. (OK, sorry, but to build a school on Kenmore Avenue is to build no school at all :lol: )

-In 1943, Curtiss-Wright Corporation develops a research laboratory across the road from the Buffalo airport. It has a pioneer high velocity wind tunnel and a large altitude chamber. It later becomes known as Calspan (after being know as Cornell Aeronautical Laboratories) and invents crash dummies. They were named Thin Man and Half-Pint (child version).

-In 1959, Wilson Greatbatch invented the internal pacemaker.

-In 1959, Lamar Hunt and his Foolish Club started the AFL; after being rejected in Miami, Ralph Wilson said, "count me in with Buffalo."

I have to agree with Tortured, Bullpen. I don't think that's what's keeping Denver out of the Super Bowl running.

Hmmmm, let see, where did I post that?

Oh yeah! Right here:

Look, I'm just repeating what was printed in the news a couple years ago.

That's what the NFL told them... now maybe the DNC will help change some minds, but I'm only going off what was printed in the fish wraps out here a couple years ago. So Denver said screw you NFL, we're going to make a bid for the 2022 Olympics now!