Why are folks moaning about getting screw*d

stuckincincy

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost a month after the switch, here's how some viewers were affected....

Digital TV conversion means some Tug Hill viewers are in the dark

Mark Wigfield, a spokesman for the FCC, said that the FCC did anticipate that parts of some markets would lose channels. The government agency estimated that 89 percent of the markets would expand their coverage with digital signals, but 11 percent would lose coverage. Those estimates are based on the reception people would get with a roof-top antenna that's 30 feet off the ground, which is not something the FCC mentioned widely in its media campaign to prepare people for the birth of digital television.

When I put my address into antennaweb.org to check for a digital signal, I got this message: "There are no stations predicted to serve this location." Just like these people a little north of me:

Digital TV switch leaves even some tech-savvy residents in the dark

When I put my address into antennaweb.org to check for a digital signal, I got this message: "There are no stations predicted to serve this location." Just like these people a little north of me:

Digital TV switch leaves even some tech-savvy residents in the dark

A much better web site to use for this is www.tvfool.com.

It annoyed me to no end that Antennaweb was the one all of those conversion messages were hawking. It's a piece of sh-- and it tells you just about nothing. TVfool gives you so much more info, more nearly accurate potential channel listings, dB requirements, magnetic or compass readings toward the towers, etc.

You may well be one of the affected populations, from what I remember of how far out in the environs you are. DTV reception is limited to the curvature of the earth, ~ 60 miles (good tropo can extend this, but it doesn't happen often).

That sucks for the woman who bought antenna and boxes.... But having been in Army comm., she really should have known about the 60-mile limit, and to have done her homework before buying it. For the small number of people who are now totally w/o TV reception due to the change (and who got channels previously), I think there should be some federal assistance for cable/sat --- at least for installation costs, or paying for the bare-bones cable service for a set time period. Note that this should still come out of the $19B Congress picked up by selling access to the public's airwaves.

Or, it would show a great public service example for the DMA stations of the region to build or get access to a DTS repeater tower (does the govt own a tower in the region?) to extend coverage into the affected area. From what I read, it won't be high-def but it would be a digital signal. You might pass this note on to the reporter and maybe generate some pressure so your area's citizens aren't left in the dark or be forced to shell out hard-earned for pay TV just to get a picture on their tubes.

A much better web site to use for this is www.tvfool.com.

It annoyed me to no end that Antennaweb was the one all of those conversion messages were hawking. It's a piece of sh-- and it tells you just about nothing. TVfool gives you so much more info, more nearly accurate potential channel listings, dB requirements, magnetic or compass readings toward the towers, etc.

You may well be one of the affected populations, from what I remember of how far out in the environs you are. DTV reception is limited to the curvature of the earth, ~ 60 miles (good tropo can extend this, but it doesn't happen often).

That sucks for the woman who bought antenna and boxes.... But having been in Army comm., she really should have known about the 60-mile limit, and to have done her homework before buying it. For the small number of people who are now totally w/o TV reception due to the change (and who got channels previously), I think there should be some federal assistance for cable/sat --- at least for installation costs, or paying for the bare-bones cable service for a set time period. Note that this should still come out of the $19B Congress picked up by selling access to the public's airwaves.

Or, it would show a great public service example for the DMA stations of the region to build or get access to a DTS repeater tower (does the govt own a tower in the region?) to extend coverage into the affected area. From what I read, it won't be high-def but it would be a digital signal. You might pass this note on to the reporter and maybe generate some pressure so your area's citizens aren't left in the dark or be forced to shell out hard-earned for pay TV just to get any signal.

My address at TVfool: the closest tower (and the only station shown on their signal analysis report) is Channel 3, the PBS station out of Penn State -- 50 miles away. "These channels are very weak and will most likely require extreme measures to try and pick them up."WTAJ and WATM out of Altoona are the next closest, 87 miles out.

Looking north, nothing except the Christian station out of Orchard Park; 2, 4, and 7, the channels I grew up with before cable, are no longer obtainable.

Here's the analysis for Five Mile Road in Ischua, as mentioned in the OTH story:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&...d74fa93c809cd38

Doesn't look very promising, does it?

My address at TVfool: the closest tower (and the only station shown on their signal analysis report) is Channel 3, the PBS station out of Penn State -- 50 miles away. "These channels are very weak and will most likely require extreme measures to try and pick them up."WTAJ and WATM out of Altoona are the next closest, 87 miles out.

Looking north, nothing except the Christian station out of Orchard Park; 2, 4, and 7, the channels I grew up with before cable, are no longer obtainable.

Here's the analysis for Five Mile Road in Ischua, as mentioned in the OTH story:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&...d74fa93c809cd38

Doesn't look very promising, does it?

No, indeed.

As I wrote, the FCC wrote a presser around the time of the transition re: use of DTS repeater towers in affected areas. Your location seems like a prime example where it could be used.

This is a B&E article from 2005 on the topic.

Then again --- and I don't intend this to be mean-spirited (I'm fairly rural myself, as much as you can get in NE) --- Olean is like "the ass end of nowhere," especially as digital OTA goes. It's questionable which TV market (DMA) the area belongs to to make a DTS request --- Nothing seems to qualify in PA. Erie? Buffalo? Both of those markets likely don't have stations very much able ($) or interested (again, $; failing a strong devotion to the public service) to get that area into the digital fold of things... without some kind of help from the FCC/federal government that forced the switch.

I think this story might be worth the OTH checking it out. Perhaps contact the congresscritter and Buffalo & Erie station managers. Find out if the govt owns / accesses any towers that might be suitable for a DTS (they need not be as tall as the large antenna farm towers) and whether they would allow broadcasters to install transmitters. Might be a dead end, but it would be worthwhile for the newspaper to at least ask.

We had a heavy thunderstorm here a few minutes ago & it messed up the digital signals. There was breakup & the stations that didn't need the booster used on the antenna in order to receive them, needed the booster & still broke up slightly. I guess they haven't quite mastered a thunderstorm around Albany yet.