Why are folks moaning about getting screw*d

stuckincincy

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it's gone a little too far. But the difference is that your cassettes, etc… are really just toys. TV (and keep in mind we're talking mostly about elderly people and poor people who are effected) is BROADCAST publicly and includes stuff like news, the emergency broadcast system, etc...

and all those awesome reality shows, Maury, Springer, and another "court" show every 1/2 hour with people that are not real judges.

My complaint is that you don't necessarily go from 3 channels to 10. I went from 4 or 5 channels that I could see with varying levels of clarity over analog to 2 channels (abc and cbs) via digital- those have to be adjusted quite often, too. I also got one of those "new" antennas that are supposed to be vastly superior to the rabbit ears and i got zero channels. If you live in the sticks, digital isn't that great of an advancement...

Where was my free money from the Govinmint when 8 tracks went to cassette, then to CD's. :rolleyes:

The Government subsidising this is complete Bullshiit.

The airwaves belong to the public, dumbass. Your cassettes do not. And, you can still use your 8-track player to play 8-tracks. You can no longer use the TV to get the signals you own.

The mistake, IMO, was going to a system that wasn't backwards compatible. But, since that's what "we" chose, the subsidy is appropriate...and the $ comes form the fees broadcasters pay us to use the airwaves.

We have all seen the incessant messages, crawlers, etc. by local stations about this. Obviously, they have a big nickle in this - Heaven forbid a soul doesn't get to enjoy their (and the $$$ from their advertisers' wallet) offerings. :rolleyes:

Question: Does all this self-serving hand-wringing about the change qualify as air time that stations have to devote to "public service" programming?

If so - they have banked free air time that irked them for years without profit, to now turn into future profit.

The airwaves belong to the public, dumbass. Your cassettes do not. And, you can still use your 8-track player to play 8-tracks. You can no longer use the TV to get the signals you own.

The mistake, IMO, was going to a system that wasn't backwards compatible. But, since that's what "we" chose, the subsidy is appropriate...and the $ comes form the fees broadcasters pay us to use the airwaves.

A bit of sarcasm never gets past you, eh, Whino? Though it did only take you three days to find my post. Thanks.

The mistake is letting the Gov$nment get involved.

Get back in line, boy.

A bit of sarcasm never gets past you, eh, Whino? Though it did only take you three days to find my post. Thanks.

Get back in line, boy.

Um...what? The airwaves belong to the public. How do you suppose we regulate and protect those rights w/o using "the government". Government regulation of over the air television is NECESSARY for the system to work. Without it, why wouldn't someone just start blasting a stronger signal on any particular channel and take it over? Regulation, in this instance, is really to protect businesses in a way that they cannot do themselves.

But, it is good to see your anti-government rants are oblivious to context. Time to dis-band the armed forces...the gov't will just screw them up. Dumbass!

Um...what? The airwaves belong to the public. How do you suppose we regulate and protect those rights w/o using "the government". Government regulation of over the air television is NECESSARY for the system to work. Without it, why wouldn't someone just start blasting a stronger signal on any particular channel and take it over? Regulation, in this instance, is really to protect businesses in a way that they cannot do themselves.

But, it is good to see your anti-government rants are oblivious to context. Time to dis-band the armed forces...the gov't will just screw them up. Dumbass!

What do you feel is the level of understanding of getting screwed or not, the sophistication, the long-term insight of the general public is?

So the Govinmint is not involved in this? Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallllly.

God you're a Putz.

What do you feel the level of understanding of getting screwed or not, the sophistication, the long-term insight of the general public is?

Could you rephrase the question? I can't break the code, as it is currently constructed.

:lol: Now THAT'S a good looking fellow!

So the Govinmint is not involved in this? Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallllly.

God you're a Putz.

How could you get that from my post? Yes, the gov't is involved...they HAVE to be involved. It is a public matter.

My responses have been with regard to the converter boxes. You highlighted this:

So thats why I responded the way I did.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol:

I bolded that, because that's what I was responding to. It wasn't a "mistake" to let the gov't get involved, the gov't is involved as a matter of course, in these matters. It IS a gov't matter.

:lol::lol::lol:

I bolded that, because that's what I was responding to. It wasn't a "mistake" to let the gov't get involved, the gov't is involved as a matter of course, in these matters. It IS a gov't matter.

:rolleyes:

Its a matter of course for the Gov to buy people converter boxes? :rolleyes: