Did Kelly Retire too soon?

It's a shame we couldn't get our hands on some games from the 1995 regular season. I'd love to see Kelly with that wide receiver line-up. I remember very little about that season, only the playoff game against the Jaguars.

Of course with copyright laws there isn't much footage out there on Youtube or any other site that I'm aware of. I went to the Bills store and they don't sell any DVD's. I went to NFL.com and the only DVD available of the Bills is the comeback game which I've seen 10 million times.

I like the format of the 'game of the week' on the NFL network where they cut all of the garbage out and the plays are one after another. Too bad they don't do this for old games. Not that there's a huge market out there for Buffalo Bills games in the 95' regular season, but I for one, would love to have access to some games. Why doesn't the NFL do more with old footage?

I still have the Monday Night game at Cleveland on VHS (October '95). That game was engulfed by the Browns pending move from Cleveland and the fact the jury had reached a verdict in OJ's murder trial, with the results to be read on Tuesday. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Browns were coached by Belichik.

Ahhh, the good ol' days.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I am saying:

Kelly's retirement from football was largely based on his son Hunter being diagnosed with the disease, and even turned down the Baltimore Ravens offer on a possible comeback in 1998, strictly based on Hunter's condition.

I had forgotten about the Ravens trying to sign him. If I remember correctly, he planned on using his salary from that year and putting it all directly into the Hunter's Hope foundation. Would have been a great story.

2006 was certainly a turbulent year for Jimbo. He struggled through the season to the point of losing the one thing that most separated him from everyone else: his swagger. I'll never forget the horrible game he had against the Steelers on Monday night, where he threw 3 or 4 interceptions, you could really see the confidence slipping away. The following week in practice he hurt his hamstring -- and Collins took over. Playing in workmanlike fashion in a Just-Don't-Lose-the-Game way, Collins led the team in victories over the defending champion Cowboys and Colts. When Kelly got his mojo back a couple of weeks later, the sports shows were going crazy suggesting that it was time for him to step aside for Collins. It got to the point where Marv actually had to come out and give Jim his vote of confidence. Once he got back on the field, he seemed to get back in a groove.

Looking back, the whole season came down to the second game against New England in Foxboro. A win there would have meant a division sweep, the division title and a playoff bye. However, with about 2:00 left to play and the Bills just down by 3, Jim threw a pass that was intercepted by a young Willie McGinnist and returned for a TD. The team responded with a Hail Mary TD, but the two-score deficit was too much to overcome in such a short period of time. The Patriots went on to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl, while the Bills had to fight for their lives to squeak into the playoffs. That was in Week 17 when they faced the Chiefs -- with the winner moving forward as a Wild Card and the loser staying home. The offense struggled mightily in the first half. Then, at halftime, Jim Jeffcoat grabbed Jim (who was fighting through the Flu) by the collar and reminded him that his mother, who had passed away in the off-season, was looking down at him from heaven. Jim responded with a spirited 2nd half performance, and the Bills beat the Chiefs convincingly. I'll always remember that game more than the "I am Batman" game against the Jags the following week. (In Jim's defense, his Bills had 27 points on the board, and the Jags did not take the lead until AFTER he left the game.)

Jim Kelly retired at the perfect time. His heart was still in it, but physically he had taken such a beating over the years and father time had caught up to him. The surrounding cast was on a steep decline as well -- and the offensive line's downward spiral was already underway. In fact, I think there is a good chance that Kelly may have been SERIOUSLY injured had he tried to come back and play again for the Bills in 2007. He was an unrestricted free agent -- and his brother served as his agent. Probably not the best arrangement. In Pittsburgh, Neil O'Donnell had flown the coup, embezzling millions from the Jets. There was talk that Jim would wind up replacing him in Pittsburgh, but I don't think they were willing to give him a long term contract like he wanted, and the specter of coming off the field for Kordell Stewart in key situations didn't sit too well with him. So he and Ralph mutually agreed on a win-win situation, whereby Kelly would walk away in exchange for a couple $ million.

He's been a fine ambassador for the Bills ever since.

I do not recall Kelly having a particularly bad season and I wonder if a team that relied less on Kelly might have won with him.

Still, it's a long time ago and I do not remember the circumstances of his retirement outside of him having a hot stretch, the team then barely making the playoffs before the heartbreaking loss to Jax after a questionable fumble.

Kelly retired at the right time for him. Remember he got beat up pretty bad in the USFL (sacks) before he even came to the NFL. He got hit lot . He had some injuries in the NFL. His last season was not great but he gave major effort. He decided it was time to devote to family and other things which included the charity that sprouted out of his son's illness. He has been a major advocate for testing of babies for various disesaes (which only takes a little pin prick in their heel). For someone who came out of college and didn't want to play in Buffalo he has done the city proud. He lives in the suburbs and supports Buffalo 100%. Brett Favre has become a joke.

What I am saying:

Kelly's retirement from football was largely based on his son Hunter being diagnosed with the disease, and even turned down the Baltimore Ravens offer on a possible comeback in 1998, strictly based on Hunter's condition.

Not to split hairs, but Kelly retired in january of 96. Hunter was born in February, and they didn't know he was sick for a few months. His decision to retire was not based on his family at the time.

I haven't thought about this in a while... but I seriously agree. I don't know why, but I always thought Todd had a great sense of ball placement, threw a tight spiral, and a quiet confidence about him. Hell he orchestrated the greatest Bills comeback in regular season(Bills) history, 26 points. If you look at the bags of crap that have played the position since him, he looks like he might have won more games for the franchise.

Collins was tough too. I remember him taking a beating scrambling to pick up some 1st downs in his 1st season. Knowing what we know now, who among us wouldn't have taken the choice of a) staying with Collins all these years and building out the team in every other area or b) going thru a litany of QBs (per my count 9 different starters in 10 years) while other parts of the team deteriorated?

I think when he retired, it was the right time. But I'll tell you something right now - I don't care how old he is or banged up he is, I'd suit him up for this year. At least he gives us shot! haha.. Just kidding...but not really.

Collins was tough too. I remember him taking a beating scrambling to pick up some 1st downs in his 1st season. Knowing what we know now, who among us wouldn't have taken the choice of a) staying with Collins all these years and building out the team in every other area or b) going thru a litany of QBs (per my count 9 different starters in 10 years) while other parts of the team deteriorated?

But maybe that should give us caution before we run Trent Edwards out of town. We abandoned Todd Collins because while he showed some flashes he seemed to regress terribly towards the end of 1997.

I don't think so. In fact, history has gone on to show that Collins is exactly what the Bills thought he would be: a career journeyman backup. Mind you, there is a spot for a guy like that in the league, which explains why he is still in the league after 14 years.

I don't think so. In fact, history has gone on to show that Collins is exactly what the Bills thought he would be: a career journeyman backup. Mind you, there is a spot for a guy like that in the league, which explains why he is still in the league after 14 years.

Better than what we've had too often, which is a QB that isn't even backup material!

Instead of sticking around for a couple years longer, I wish he would've joined the Bills the year after he was drafted instead of wasting two years in the CFL. Sometimes I wonder if that would've made any impact, maybe getting the Bills kicked into gear a year earlier than their run started and if maybe it would've had enough of an impact where we actually could've won a Super Bowl.

If Kelly came directly to the Bills, the Bills would have never become a SB team. Him not being in Buffalo prevented the Bills from getting better. Those 80's Bills sucked. Not mediocre sucked, they really sucked. This gave them the ability to stock pile decent players with high draft choices.

I have always thought that was one of the biggest favors Kelly did for the Bills.

Kelly's last year, he had no arm. He could no longer throw the quick sideline pass.

I remember thinking that the 1995 season was the most 'heroic' of Jimbo's career, at least to me. He picked that team up on his back and had a very effective year. The pick 6 against Miami in the closing minutes at Rich Stadium really showed the decrease in zip in 1996. We (as Buffalonians often do) started getting the rail ready to run him out on after that game.

At least I remember that game being in 96....

Kelly was quite immobile toward the very end of his career. He was great, but he retired about the right time. Maybe he could have extended his career a year or two with a more disciplined workout routine -- who knows -- maybe he was already trying to, but the bottom line is that his best years were easily behind him when he retired.