Resurgence of running game

Kelly the Dog

Or Marshawn and Fred Jackson doing it virtually all on their own?

I'd have to say it was the latter. Five or so games in a row we run the ball pretty darn well and yet there really were precious few solid holes. More than in the past probably, but going from non-existent to precious few doesn't really give me that much hope. Those two guys were ridiculous the last third of the season, even when the team sucked. It was unconscionable to me that Shonert and Jauron didn't order JP and Trent to just throw the ball as far as they could downfield to give the illusion we would throw deep, just to give Lynch and Jackson more room to run. In one of the most disappointing and frustrating seasons ever to watch, it was a pleasure watching Marshawn and Fred.

The line, however, still sucks. Center must go for sure. Dockery was horrible the entire year. Butler doesn't do much for me. They don't seem to be coached well. The blocking schemes, base offense and play calling are terrible. The fullback is useless.

I'd have to say it was the latter. Five or so games in a row we run the ball pretty darn well and yet there really were precious few solid holes. More than in the past probably, but going from non-existent to precious few doesn't really give me that much hope. Those two guys were ridiculous the last third of the season, even when the team sucked. It was unconscionable to me that Shonert and Jauron didn't order JP and Trent to just throw the ball as far as they could downfield to give the illusion we would throw deep, just to give Lynch and Jackson more room to run. In one of the most disappointing and frustrating seasons ever to watch, it was a pleasure watching Marshawn and Fred.

The line, however, still sucks. Center must go for sure. Dockery was horrible the entire year. Butler doesn't do much for me. They don't seem to be coached well. The blocking schemes, base offense and play calling are terrible. The fullback is useless.

The line hsa been much improved, especially in run blocking. Plus Marshawn ran much harder after he caleld himself out.

The line hsa been much improved, especially in run blocking. Plus Marshawn ran much harder after he caleld himself out.

Improved sure, but there is still much room for improvment especiall at center and guard. And I am not even sure its worth paying top dollar for Peter when we did not seem to lose much with Chambers.

\

The line is in a desperat need for a center the center is the one who calls all the shifts and line audibles. The center is what helps create thos holes. The line with out a true center is 14th in rushing. That measn this line is possibly better than 18 other teams in the leaugue. Get a center and maybe it wil be the top 10.

The only thing I was thinking yesterday was how nice would it have been if lynch played. We ran the ball effectively imagime the bruiser/sppedser combo we would have ran all overe them :thumbsup:

They've been a lot better ever since the Cleveland game and it's not just Lynch and Jackson. The main two reasons as I have seen it are Butler coming back and getting healthy and Duke improving on his technique and aggresiveness (Which led to a bad moment yesterday but nonetheless). It's ironic really, my father and I were just commenting to eachother on how surprisingly well Duke was handling Wilfork. He was steering him wherever he wanted him to go and opening lanes to run through... Then came the braindead scuffle at the end of the half that he got suckered into. Sure it's cliche to say that all these guys suck, but they really have been playing quite good for 5 or 6 games at the end here. Even in 2 of the games where there was no real threat at QB.

They've been a lot better ever since the Cleveland game and it's not just Lynch and Jackson. The main two reasons as I have seen it are Butler coming back and getting healthy and Duke improving on his technique and aggresiveness (Which led to a bad moment yesterday but nonetheless). It's ironic really, my father and I were just commenting to eachother on how surprisingly well Duke was handling Wilfork. He was steering him wherever he wanted him to go and opening lanes to run through... Then came the braindead scuffle at the end of the half that he got suckered into. Sure it's cliche to say that all these guys suck, but they really have been playing quite good for 5 or 6 games at the end here. Even in 2 of the games where there was no real threat at QB.

I don't know. Of the 136 or so yards that Jackson got yesterday, almost every single one of them came either after he had been hit, OR from a 3rd and long passing situation draw where there was a significant hole but due to the down and distance. I didn't see hardly any real holes. I will agree to a little improvement, but again, I think it was from terrible to just bad.

The Bills either overpaid for Dockery in a BIG way or he got lazy and lost interest once the contract was signed.

I don't know. Of the 136 or so yards that Jackson got yesterday, almost every single one of them came either after he had been hit, OR from a 3rd and long passing situation draw where there was a significant hole but due to the down and distance. I didn't see hardly any real holes. I will agree to a little improvement, but again, I think it was from terrible to just bad.

Not at all...The holes were there. Especially early on. They're not gaping holes like you see sometimes but they are legitimate running lanes. I can recall atleast 3 times early in the game yesterday where the tv camera focussed specifically on the area and you clearly get to see 1- the C take the NT to a side, 2- Chambers Seals the outside and 3- Dockery (who did have a poor game overall) Seals the inside. This allowed Freddy to squirt through for good gains. Freddy and Lynch are amaizing YAC guys too, but you should be used to seeing absolutely no holes for the Bills runners from our recent past and this is different. The biggest difference by the way is their ability to get a surge or push on short yardage situations. Big difference from earlier in the year.

Not at all...The holes were there. Especially early on. They're not gaping holes like you see sometimes but they are legitimate running lanes. I can recall atleast 3 times early in the game yesterday where the tv camera focussed specifically on the area and you clearly get to see 1- the C take the NT to a side, 2- Chambers Seals the outside and 3- Dockery (who did have a poor game overall) Seals the inside. This allowed Freddy to squirt through for good gains. Freddy and Lynch are amaizing YAC guys too, but you should be used to seeing absolutely no holes for the Bills runners from our recent past and this is different. The biggest difference by the way is their ability to get a surge or push on short yardage situations. Big difference from earlier in the year.

You may be right, but just not how I saw it as I watched it live. Usually I will go back and watch the game again on the DVR and concentrate on the line but I immediately erased this friggin'-abortion as soon as I got home last night. :thumbsup:

You may be right, but just not how I saw it as I watched it live. Usually I will go back and watch the game again on the DVR and concentrate on the line but I immediately erased this friggin'-abortion as soon as I got home last night. :thumbsup:

We were honestly quite surprised with how well they ran considering the Pats stacked the box and knew what was coming. Quite a good sign actually, but I suppose I'm always finding silver linings when the overall picture looks quite dreary.

:sick: My sentiments exactly.

The line is way better than it was...but it still needs work. A player or two would be nice...but attitude, scheme and commitment are very much in need. It's hard to play effectively on offense when the defense KNOWS what play you are going to run. The Bills were a little bit better this year, than last, but still sorely lacking in using formations and personnel packages to confuse the defense.

I don't know that Marshawn wasn't running just as hard as before "calling himself out"...even when the results were not there for Marshawn, I defy anybody to say he wasn't running hard. I think, in calling himself out, he was really calling out his linemen (they know he runs hard) and maybe, if anything, ran smarter, not harder.

Particularly early in the season, it seemed like Marshawn was just a blur of pumping legs, that would push the pile a few yards, before getting swallowed by it...while Jackson would come in, and seemingly effortessly, get a lot more yardage...I really think the difference was that Fred was more patient, or has better vision and anticipates holes, and where they will go, beter...now, late in the season, both guys were running terrific...to me, that is the saddest part of the season coming to an end...watching both has become the best thing about following the team...

I agree, Fred and Marshawn good, OL especially the interior Bad

I agree, Fred and Marshawn good, OL especially the interior Bad

Didn't I read, in another thread, that you didn't watch the Bills, this year?

I'd like to say no but it really would depend what they did in free agency and the draft- this year I disengaged from the Bills during preseason because they didn't fix enough holes even though they had the money- when the Bills were 5-1 I thought I had made a mistake but I stuck to my Guns and the Bills proved me right.

what about this for an OL......

Peters Dockery Mack Chambers Walker

I still think we can do better then Butler at RG and honestly im not sold on Dockery as of late.

Butler is probably our best lineman. Have you watched any games this year?