Good article - why the fins turned it around

BuffaloBill

Sparano found ways to change the climate and culture of the Dolphins. Part of his focus was attention to detail and clean, mistake-free football.

"He showed you why you lose, he showed you how you win," Dolphins safety Yeremiah Bell said. "He was in the weight room while the team was lifting. He was preaching to you in the hallways. Every single day, he was talking about why you lose and what it takes to win. And the team bought it. And it took off."

"It cost us $27 million to fire those coaches," Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga said. "And even though we brought in Bill Parcells to run it, though coach Sparano showed us early he was a good fit, I thought, at best, we'd be 8-8. I was hoping for that."

The above shows why a team can go from 1-15 to the division winner the next year. Coaching matters. You can't convince me that the fins talent level is so much higher than the Bills. I hope Ralph reads this article today and gets a clue.

Dolphins look to their Future

Wrong. It was mostly due to Pennington's presence. He had a Pro Bowl, if not MVP, type season. And they added him thanks to the Jets.

I do not disagree that his role was important but keep in mind he does not play defense and there are 10 other guys on offense that have to play with him. If a good QB was all that it takes Denver or the Saints would be in much better shape.

Put another way - if Pennington had come to Buffalo at the beginng of this season do you think we would have won the division? No way to know for sure but I highly doubt it with our coaching staff.

I do not disagree that his role was important but keep in mind he does not play defense and there are 10 other guys on offense that have to play with him. If a good QB was all that it takes Denver or the Saints would be in much better shape.

Put another way - if Pennington had come to Buffalo at the beginng of this season do you think we would have won the division? No way to know for sure but I highly doubt it with our coaching staff.

I definitely think that the Bills would have won the division with Pennington at QB. And the Dols would have been just about as bad as last year if they went into the season with Beck and Henne at QB.

VOR is correct. They would be 5-11 i John Beck was their QB again. They did luck out that Favre agreed to come back and went to the Jets. Great turnaround for the Dolphins, but it was mostly having a QB now.

This is the same guy the Jests were all too happy to cast off. He can't do it alone. Besides we are losing the point of this thread - the owner decided to replace the coaching staff and the new coaching staff worked effectively with the players to turn it around. So to follow your line of thinking the Bills can change coaches but if we do not get a new QB all is for nothing?

Actually they won their first few games with solid coaching and the gimmickry of the wildcat, with Pennington doing relatively little but nursing.

The inception of the wildcat is what led to the victory against the Pats - one of the few times Bellicheat has been out coached and his team was out played. Does anyone see any creative use of the Bills personnel in the past eight years (on the offensive side of the ball)?

I definitely think that the Bills would have won the division with Pennington at QB. And the Dols would have been just about as bad as last year if they went into the season with Beck and Henne at QB.

No freaking way!

This offensive coordinator thinks he has Payton Manning as his QB and demands the players to preform up to his expectations rather then coach the players who he really has and find the best ways to utilize them.

Pennington with a healthy arm after two years of a noodle arm because of that hit he took in Buffalo.Turd "shotgun" Schonert would have found a way to get him concussed several times this year and at least knocked out for a month and then blame him for the Bills failure.

This current Bills coaching staff couldn't make the playoffs with the roster filled with pro bowlers,the talent is lacking alright. Its lacking in the coaches.

Wrong. It was mostly due to Pennington's presence. He had a Pro Bowl, if not MVP, type season. And they added him thanks to the Jets.

That is a moronic reply...

Pennington helped no question...But did Pennington get no Coaching help? Did He go out there on his own and run the Wildcat? Did He look this good under Mangini? The Players said Sporano brought a new attitude and told them each and every day why they lose and what they need to do to win...The Players pointed to The Coaching change as the big difference in Miami...Why would you disagree with that? :thumbsup:

That is a moronic reply...

Pennington helped no question...But did Pennington get no Coaching help? Did He go out there on his own and run the Wildcat? Did He look this good under Mangini? The Players said Sporano brought a new attitude and told them each and every day why they lose and what they need to do to win...The Players pointed to The Coaching change as the big difference in Miami...Why would you disagree with that? B-)

Ahh...Penny. A favorite whipping boy of numerous TSW'er's through the years. Noodle-armed, injury-prone, can't make any long tosses, etc.

:P

Ahh...Penny. A favorite whipping boy of numerous TSW'er's through the years. Noodle-armed, injury-prone, can't make any long tosses, etc.

B-)

He put together a good season this year. trent Edwards could do himself a favor by watching every fins game film to understand how a weaker armed QB can play successfully in the NFL.

Okay, let's put it another way. Had the Dols played the season with Beck or Henne as their starting QB, does anyone really think that they'd have finished even close to 11-5 and won the division? Anyone?

Interesting question.

Possible: Cassel, a QB with minimal college & NFL playing experience. took NE to 11-5

He was surrounded by vets, and had several years to learn the system (on paper)

Does make it seem possible that a rookie QB in a good system could "get it done"

Especially w/ coaches who adapt the system to suit his strengths

Facts: 2004-2007 Pennington had an overall record of 28W, 36L w/ Jets (average of 7W, 9L per season. Huh.)

2006 & 2007 only +1 TD vs. INT

Based on recent performance, if you took a poll before this season, how many fans would honestly have said they thought Pennington was the Man who would turn it around and take 1-15 'Fins to 11-5 and the playoffs?

Based on his recent record with the Jets, I think honestly, not many.

Maybe coaching matters.

Interesting question.

Possible: Cassel, a QB with minimal college & NFL playing experience. took NE to 11-5

Does make it seem possible that a rookie QB in a good system could "get it done"

Facts: 2004-2007 Pennington had an overall record of 28W, 36L w/ Jets (average of 7W, 9L per season. Huh.)

Based on recent performance, if you took a poll before this season, how many fans would honestly have said they thought Pennington was the Man who would turn it around and take 1-15 'Fins to 11-5 and the playoffs?

Maybe coaching matters.

Take a look at 2006. The Dols had the same average for their run game (4.2 YPC) and allowed fewer PPG than this year (17.7 versus 19.8), yet they went 6-10. The year before (2005), they went 9-7 with the same coaching staff. The difference? QB play. Not to mention schedule.

...rather then coach the players who he really has and find the best ways to utilize them.

...can I stop hoping that this will happen...

Or do I need someone to gather some ponderous list of stats to show how many starters this coach has inherited and how many starters he's inserted into the lineup as the factor as to why he can't coach a W (hell, i'll take a TD- 3 games without a TD brings back memories of 2001!).

Interesting question.

Maybe coaching matters.

Good points. The fins did not ask pennington to play beyond his capabilities and they gameplanned around the strengths they have. Jauron's presser comments show that he seems to believe that if it works well on the practice field it has to work well in games. That is stupidity. Games are played in dynamic conditions (not just weather). The mentality at one bills drive appears to be that players must adjust to and play the system and that the system can't be altered tot he strengths of the players.

Miami developed the ability to dictate to teams Buffalo has not had that since Kelly and crew played. Maybe coaching matters less when you have that cast of superstar players but again the fins do not have a wealth of talent. Coaching made the best of what they do have.