Whitner comments

AlbanyBill

After the Bills lost their last game of the season and brought an end to this most disappointing season, this is what defensive co-Captain Donte Whitner had to say:

“My perspective is we underachieved as a football team,” Whitner said. “Someone brought it to my attention saying, ‘You guys went 2-8, or something crazy.’ I didn’t even look at it that way and that’s what happened. We are an underachieving football team and that’s what we are.”

Are you kidding me donte!?!? Yo didn't look at it that way?! How did you look at it when the team lost 8 of the last 10 games?! And you think it's disappointing?! No f*cking sh*t!

Oh and please Donte, don't guarantee sh*t next year!

So what the hell is wrong with what he said? I will never understand why so many people here have it out for this guy. He is one of the few players on the Bills that gives me the impression that he gives a damn about winning.

Anyone else see the Brian Dawkins interview on the field after the Philly game? Can anyone see any member of the Bills -- with the possible except of Whitner -- making those kinds of comments about teammates and determination to win?

Chris Kelsay's comments were just as bad:

“We didn’t play up to our potential,” said Chris Kelsay. “We made mistakes at critical points in games. We need to play with intensity and emotion from the first kickoff to the last buzzer. That’s one thing we didn’t do very well.”

Action reflect leadership.......Thanks Dick Jauron. You gutless wonder!

So what the hell is wrong with what he said? I will never understand why so many people here have it out for this guy. He is one of the few players on the Bills that gives me the impression that he gives a damn about winning.

Anyone else see the Brian Dawkins interview on the field after the Philly game? Can anyone see any member of the Bills -- with the possible except of Whitner -- making those kinds of comments about teammates and determination to win?

Thank you - Donte is one of the few leaders on this team. He played hurt most of the back half of the season. So many people want to hold him accountable for being such a high draft pick but then not being a superstar. It is hard to stand out as a safety when your team has an aver LB corps and a very weak pass rush.

I can agree that taking as high as they did in the draft was a mistake but the guy is one of the few producers on the team and he is not a bust. Let's focus on the real issues with this team not make one where there isn't.

Whitner certainly had a disappointing second-half of the season. Of course, he played hurt how many games? He was our team's best leader in the offseason and during the season.

What is wrong with his comments yesterday? Doesn't everyone always say the players need to focus on each individual week, not looking ahead and not looking behind? I believe he focuses so intensely on each week that just about no one on this board could fully fathom the mindset.

I have no problem with Donte. He is a leader. But not knowing your record and how much your team is slipping away is worse than not knowing its 3rd down.

He never said he didn't know what the team's record was. He said that his viewpoint was on the team underachiving...which is exactly what a team leader should be focusing on.

I dont question his leadership skills, cause clearly he has more then pretty much everyone on D. But I speak of his playing skills. I dont care if he was hurt, if he was that bad he should have said something, get someone in there thats healthier then him, do whats best for the team. But man, he simply didnt play well for most of the year, he made a few plays here and there, but overall he stunk it up!

I've been not-so-hot on him since he said the comment, "If Trent had been in there, we'd be 6-0" after the defense gave up 41 points.

Thank you - Donte is one of the few leaders on this team. He played hurt most of the back half of the season. So many people want to hold him accountable for being such a high draft pick but then not being a superstar. It is hard to stand out as a safety when your team has an aver LB corps and a very weak pass rush.

I can agree that taking as high as they did in the draft was a mistake but the guy is one of the few producers on the team and he is not a bust. Let's focus on the real issues with this team not make one where there isn't.

couldn't agree more. Whitner isn't the problem on this team.

Superstar? I'd settle for him being a "solid starter" at this point. Too many people want to make him more of a player than he is because of his weekly team meetings at his house.

I'm now reading excuses here that he will be a better player when the front 7 is revamped. What does that have to do with poor tackling angles and tackling technique. :thumbsup:

Once Poz has a few years under his belt, I could see him stepping up and becoming a more vocal leader. However, other than Whitner, I do not see anyone else on our defense prepared to "light a fire" under their fellow teammates or spark any kind of intensity whatsoever.

For that matter, the same goes for our offense.

It would be refreshing to see a few players getting into the faces of other players. Unfortunately, we have a bunch of 9:00-5:00 players that do no more than what is asked of them by a lackluster "Casper Milktoast" of a coach. If you think about it, I really cannot blame the players entirely. If you had leaders that showed little or no intensity (positive or negative), why would you put your neck on the line and start calling out fellow players who may not have your back on the field in a gametime situation.

It all starts with the coaching staff!

Once Poz has a few years under his belt, I could see him stepping up and becoming a more vocal leader. However, other than Whitner, I do not see anyone else on our defense prepared to "light a fire" under their fellow teammates or spark any kind of intensity whatsoever.

For that matter, the same goes for our offense.

It would be refreshing to see a few players getting into the faces of other players. Unfortunately, we have a bunch of 9:00-5:00 players that do no more than what is asked of them by a lackluster "Casper Milktoast" of a coach. If you think about it, I really cannot blame the players entirely. If you had leaders that showed little or no intensity (positive or negative), why would you put your neck on the line and start calling out fellow players who may not have your back on the field in a gametime situation.

It all starts with the coaching staff!

Poz won't get that chance. He's no mlb in the NFL he gets eaten up by Centers and Guards al the time. He won't get better either. He hurt us more than Whitner did this year. Whitner will be better next year if we can get a pass rush and another real safety.

After the Bills lost their last game of the season and brought an end to this most disappointing season, this is what defensive co-Captain Donte Whitner had to say:

“My perspective is we underachieved as a football team,” Whitner said. “Someone brought it to my attention saying, ‘You guys went 2-8, or something crazy.’ I didn’t even look at it that way and that’s what happened. We are an underachieving football team and that’s what we are.”

Are you kidding me donte!?!? Yo didn't look at it that way?! How did you look at it when the team lost 8 of the last 10 games?! And you think it's disappointing?! No f*cking sh*t!

Oh and please Donte, don't guarantee sh*t next year!

Look, football is hard. It's hard to play in the wind. It's tough to play against it and it's tough to play with it. Our players fought hard out there. Every minute of every game is a crisis situation. Yes it's disappointing to lose, but all you can ask for is the players to play hard and to try not to lose the game that is very hard to play in.

Maybe that should clear up Donte's well thought out commentary.

I have no problem with Donte. He is a leader. But not knowing your record and how much your team is slipping away is worse than not knowing its 3rd down.

He knew the the team's record. You've somehow managed to take that completely out of context.

What is wrong with his comments yesterday? Doesn't everyone always say the players need to focus on each individual week, not looking ahead and not looking behind? I believe he focuses so intensely on each week that just about no one on this board could fully fathom the mindset.

Exactly. Nitpicking that quote amounts to a more useless thread than Pete Carroll.

Chris Kelsay's comments were just as bad:

“We didn’t play up to our potential,” said Chris Kelsay. “We made mistakes at critical points in games. We need to play with intensity and emotion from the first kickoff to the last buzzer. That’s one thing we didn’t do very well.”

Action reflect leadership.......Thanks Dick Jauron. You gutless wonder!

But, but but....Jauron's players play hard for him! The effort is always there! :thumbsup:

Yet another on the dwindling list of Jauron's coaching positives/reasons to keep Dickie J goes by the wayside...

I've been not-so-hot on him since he said the comment, "If Trent had been in there, we'd be 6-0" after the defense gave up 41 points.

Yeah that was a pretty stupid comment. I like Whitner and think he could be a very good player, but that was a real dumbass thing to say.