Oh, Kawika Mitchell........

Special K

Mitchell would be a great LBer in New England, where they don't ask guys to do things they aren't capable of. Too bad he plays for Perry Fewell.

Yep, he's not a good fit in the Tampex-2 defense, where it seems the LBs are always going backwards rather than forward.

Trouble is, without a dominant D-line, any LB would be going backward much of the time...so a new scheme's only gonna fix part of the problem.

Cassell only had 6 completions, but at least 4 of them were the result of Mitchell missing his assignment.

Whats up with that??

I think he's a good linebacker, but today his performance was god-awful. :wallbash:

May I ask how you know the coverage assignments on these plays? What D was called and what was Mitchell's assignment?

Mitchell would be a great LBer in New England, where they don't ask guys to do things they aren't capable of. Too bad he plays for Perry Fewell.

Precisely. Mitchell is yet another in a long line of examples of why this coaching staff needs to go. Mitchell plays best at stopping the run and blitzing the QB. So what do we routinely do... drop him into pass coverage. Just an outstanding example of not putting your players in the best position to win.

Mitchell's pretty damn effective when used consistently as a blitzer (the Seattle, San Diego and Cleveland games come to mind), but Fewell's this coaching staff is not smart enough to utilize the guy most players on the roster to his their strengths.

Slight correction.

May I ask how you know the coverage assignments on these plays? What D was called and what was Mitchell's assignment?

On the two play action passes to the FB Evans, plus the pass in the flat to Welker that got down to the 2, the replays clearly showed that Mitchell was responsible for the coverage in the flat.

On the two play action passes to the FB Evans, plus the pass in the flat to Welker that got down to the 2, the replays clearly showed that Mitchell was responsible for the coverage in the flat.

He also had ahold of Cassel and let go of him and Cassel ran for the 1st. :unsure:

He also had ahold of Cassel and let go of him and Cassel ran for the 1st. :unsure:

I read here every day but rarely post. I must agree w/ you though. Why is he so afraid of hitting the QB? He has done this repeatedly all season. Sometimes even lets them out his grasp. He will only tackle w/his arms never bringing a hit. Think maybe thats what the coaches are teaching? Pathetic!

Precisely. Mitchell is yet another in a long line of examples of why this coaching staff needs to go. Mitchell plays best at stopping the run and blitzing the QB. So what do we routinely do... drop him into pass coverage. Just an outstanding example of not putting your players in the best position to win.

While your points are 100% correct, he's an outside linebacker in a 4-3. He HAS to drop into coverage on many occasions just by nature of his position. If we had lots of depth we could use him on sure run downs or sure pass downs as a blitzer but that isn't the case.

On the first pass to Evans I believe it was BScott who was late when he got tied up in traffic.

On the play to Walker wasn't Mitchell blitzing and in the backfield?