Trent Edwards.... Verdict on Denver game????

AnthonyF

The point was the stupidity of the claim that 300 yard games only are a result of playing catch up.... 300 is a benchmark and Edwards has not done it once yet, whether leading or trailing in a game..... Frankly that is a long time in terms of games played not to have a 300 yard game. Remember this post was frankly directed at those who tell us that Edwards has "it"... I really want to see that break out game where he plays 4 quarters of good football..... That too is an issue I have with him. He has not put together 4 quarters of good football for more then 2 games his entire career (SD and NYJ in 2007 the only exceptions).

Not it's not. It's a fantasy benchmark. Pennington has 1 300 yard game this year. Jake Delhomme has 1. Collins has 0. neither do the Vikings QB. Big Ben has 3 (one game he lost). Eli has 1.

What do all these QBs have in common? They're comfortably in the playoffs. Guys like Warner, Cutler, and Brees are either backing into the playoffs because of a bad division; may make it cause of a bad division; or didn't make the playoffs.

300 yard passing games are more often than not are on the wrong side of the scoreboard. It's the Dan marino stat and he was a loser.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not it's not. It's a fantasy benchmark. Pennington has 1 300 yard game this year. Jake Delhomme has 1. Collins has 0. neither do the Vikings QB. Big Ben has 3 (one game he lost). Eli has 1.

What do all these QBs have in common? They're comfortably in the playoffs. Guys like Warner, Cutler, and Brees are either backing into the playoffs because of a bad division; may make it cause of a bad division; or didn't make the playoffs.

300 yard passing games are more often than not are on the wrong side of the scoreboard. It's the Dan marino stat and he was a loser.

Oh yea I forgot we are 11-4 and going to the playoffs!!!!! We have a 7-8 record and are 0-5 in the division and even if we beat NE Sunday miss the Playoffs by 3 games.... 300 yards vs. SF, Miami, Cleveland and the Jets and we are in the playoffs....

Let's use 250 as the benchmark if you wish..... Edwards has 4 this year and we have as many have pointed out been trailing the majority of games. You chose QB's on teams that have winning records and have led the majority of games. When we are 11-4 then you are welcome to throw those stats at me. Sorry to tell you I enjoy passing offenses and like to see gaudy numbers..... Does that make me shallow or a non-football fan???? Boy being entertained is a terrible thing.....

Oh yea I forgot we are 11-4 and going to the playoffs!!!!! We have a 7-8 record and are 0-5 in the division and even if we beat NE Sunday miss the Playoffs by 3 games.... 300 yards vs. SF, Miami, Cleveland and the Jets and we are in the playoffs....

Let's use 250 as the benchmark if you wish..... Edwards has 4 this year and we have as many have pointed out been trailing the majority of games. You chose QB's on teams that have winning records and have led the majority of games. When we are 11-4 then you are welcome to throw those stats at me. Sorry to tell you I enjoy passing offenses and like to see gaudy numbers..... Does that make me shallow or a non-football fan???? Boy being entertained is a terrible thing.....

Does a 40 yard pass entertain you more than a 40 yard run?

Does a 40 yard pass entertain you more than a 40 yard run?

And all those 40 yard runs we have???? Actually a pass does.... Total yardage too is a nice benchmark and the Bills don't stack up well there either.....

I like passing offenses....

Very good points and one I'm not sure I know the answer for. I do think Evans is a #1 receiver, just we don't do a good job isolating him on offense. This is where I wonder if it is Edwards or the OC. I don't like the lack of screens, slants and quick hitters. New Orleans has very so so receivers too and Brees could break the single season record.

The Bills schedule this year was ripe for a number of huge games that never materialized. Even so-called tough games were against D's that ended up at the bottom of the league and the stats were terrible. We got the majority of our pass yards vs. Oakland in the 4th quarter, big chunks late too vs. Jax and SD. We should have had 300 vs. Cleveland, SF, Miami.....

Because Cleveland (2) and SF(3) gave up 300-yard passing games on a consistent basis. Miami actually did allow 300-yard games five times this season ... but won two of those games (despite passing for 300 yards in neither one), and lost another on a last-play TD.

Top five passing teams, 2008: New Orleans, Arizona, Denver, Houston, Indy. Saints and Texans are done after Sunday, and there's a strong likelihood that the Broncos will be joining them. Arizona has the top WR combo in the league and a former MVP throwing the ball. Indy has a first-ballot Hall of Fame QB and WR, along with two other first-round picks at wideout. (Three, if you include Dallas Clark.) Buffalo can match neither of those rosters in talent.

Top five rushing teams, 2008: NY Giants, Baltimore, Minnesota, Carolina, Atlanta. If the Ravens and Vikings win this weekend, all five of those teams are in the playoffs.

I know which list I'd rather be on, which is why I'll B word more about the four games -- all losses, of course -- where the Bills ran the ball fewer than 20 times (including two games where they were averaging more than 4.5 yards per carry) than I will about the quarterback's passing yardage.

So, you like watching passing offenses. Fair enough. All things being equal, I like watching passing offenses as well. However, most of all, I like to watch the Bills win and whatever it takes to put the W in the column is good enough for me. Maybe I'm misinterpreting you, but it seems to me that you are trying to use the lack of a 300 yd passing game as a knock against Trent. The thing is there are plenty of other things that impact how many yards a qb throws for other than the competency or otherwise of the qb in question. Perhaps, the opposing team is focusing on taking away the passing game, in which case the logical course of action is to run the ball. Or, as happened against Denver, the return game is working well and drives are starting at midfield. To just focus blindly on 300 yards passing as a yardstick, regardless of context, is shortsighted.

So, you like watching passing offenses. Fair enough. All things being equal, I like watching passing offenses as well. However, most of all, I like to watch the Bills win and whatever it takes to put the W in the column is good enough for me. Maybe I'm misinterpreting you, but it seems to me that you are trying to use the lack of a 300 yd passing game as a knock against Trent. The thing is there are plenty of other things that impact how many yards a qb throws for other than the competency or otherwise of the qb in question. Perhaps, the opposing team is focusing on taking away the passing game, in which case the logical course of action is to run the ball. Or, as happened against Denver, the return game is working well and drives are starting at midfield. To just focus blindly on 300 yards passing as a yardstick, regardless of context, is shortsighted.

Anthony is the same guy who last season said he'd rather see the Bills gain a ton of yards, score a lot of points, and LOSE. It's more important for him to be entertained than see the team win, apparently.

GO BILLS!!!

Anthony is the same guy who last season said he'd rather see the Bills gain a ton of yards, score a lot of points, and LOSE. It's more important for him to be entertained than see the team win, apparently.

GO BILLS!!!

Yep.... If we went 11-5 scoring 10 points a game, you'd be right, I wouldn't be entertained or enjoy it. Sorry that sports=entertainment for me.....

For me the most "entertaining" play in football is the Bills QB taking a kneel down to run out the clock for a W.

Boy that is setting the bar low.... I must ask are you so blind as to think all that matters is winning and that translates to entertainment????

Good points

To me, if you take away TE's concussion and you put him in a better offense with a good TE for a security blanket you have about the same fast start as big Ben for the Steelers.

The IT factor, and TE's got it :angry:

One things for sure, TE has become the leader of the team and he leads by example. The Buffalo Bills will follow TE into battle anywhere and TE will follow his coach Dick Jauron. Something good is brewing in Buffalo, its a slow cooker but somethings brewing and its going to taste real good when its done.

Ralph Wilson would do well by leaving things alone. :lol:

Are you out of your mind!!! We will probably not beat a team with a winning record this year and will most probably also go 0-6 in the division, without Tom Brady! and with the Jets and Dolphins both showing readical improvement vs us sleepwalking through another season. If we do not make serious changes, you can expect far worse performance in the future with a much tougher schedule

What does Trent Edwards lasting until the 3rd Round have to do with how he has played in the NFL? I "knew he would be a great QB in the NFL' after watching him play hist first season, not in college, I don't care when he was drafted. It doesn't take a genius to see that, the same way it didn't take a genius to know JP would never be better than average in this league (I've said this for years while the same people 'ballwash' him).

You call them how you see them, which is usually wrong. BTW, Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round.

wasn't Joe Montana drafted in the 3rd round as well, it dosent matter where they are drafted, it's all about their desire to succeed!

wasn't Joe Montana drafted in the 3rd round as well, it dosent matter where they are drafted, it's all about their desire to succeed!

Which I think Trent Edwards has plenty....

Give the guy a chance to succeed...Put talent around him to win.

Boy that is setting the bar low.... I must ask are you so blind as to think all that matters is winning and that translates to entertainment????

Did you not find the Denver game entertaining then? (After all, that is what this thread is about). 53 points were scored, the lead changed hands quite a few times and the Bills won in the end. You could hardly call it a boring game yet you still choose to winge about the magical 300 yd barrier not being breached.

Because Cleveland (2) and SF(3) gave up 300-yard passing games on a consistent basis. Miami actually did allow 300-yard games five times this season ... but won two of those games (despite passing for 300 yards in neither one), and lost another on a last-play TD.

Top five passing teams, 2008: New Orleans, Arizona, Denver, Houston, Indy. Saints and Texans are done after Sunday, and there's a strong likelihood that the Broncos will be joining them. Arizona has the top WR combo in the league and a former MVP throwing the ball. Indy has a first-ballot Hall of Fame QB and WR, along with two other first-round picks at wideout. (Three, if you include Dallas Clark.) Buffalo can match neither of those rosters in talent.

Top five rushing teams, 2008: NY Giants, Baltimore, Minnesota, Carolina, Atlanta. If the Ravens and Vikings win this weekend, all five of those teams are in the playoffs.

I know which list I'd rather be on, which is why I'll B word more about the four games -- all losses, of course -- where the Bills ran the ball fewer than 20 times (including two games where they were averaging more than 4.5 yards per carry) than I will about the quarterback's passing yardage.

Amen