Trent Edwards.... Verdict on Denver game????

AnthonyF

Very inconsistent? When will you people take the blinders off? Trent Edwards has been lights out for a 2nd year QB, to compare his game to JP is insulting. Have you ever watched the 'great' QBs early in their careers?? Trent will be a great QB in this league.

Ummmm......ok. :unsure:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, because Eli Manning had two tough seasons before he found success, means that given enough time, ANY QB will do the same? :unsure::thumbsup: THAT sounds pretty stupid to me.

I'll tell you what is stupid - people not understanding the QB learning curve. That is stupid. Imagine if Peyton or Eli were pulled after their first two years because of their inconsistent play!

Fact: QBs in their first few years are inconsistent.

Fact: Most non-retards realize this.

I'll tell you what is stupid - people not understanding the QB learning curve. That is stupid. Imagine if Peyton or Eli were pulled after their first two years because of their inconsistent play!

Fact: QBs in their first few years are inconsistent.

Fact: Most non-retards realize this.

I don't know if you realize this or not, but you seem to be arguing with me over nothing. I said that I am and have been pulling for Trent Edwards from the beginning. He has had some highs and lows. He needs to become consistent to prove that he's the man. What is your problem with that assesment?

By the way Todd, have you ever heard

I just laugh knowing your responses before I even post. I do hope one or two understand the post and the comments. Edwards threw for 190 yards (65 on one pass). He looked much better, but still whether it is Edwards or the team, I am very unhappy with how this offense is run.

300 Yards is a benchmark and not a unheard of expectation. All good QB's do it multiple times every year. We have not had a 300 yard game for over 2 years.... That is not a good stat.

Eli Manning who people have posted about, had 6 starts year 1..... Year 2, 11 games he threw for over 200 yards and 3 over 300.... That is a fair comparison. Trent stands at 0 over his career.....

I expect more and seeing the opposition we had this year am disappointed with the results.

Take the blinders off guys....

BTW Merry Xmas....

Very inconsistent? When will you people take the blinders off? Trent Edwards has been lights out for a 2nd year QB, to compare his game to JP is insulting. Have you ever watched the 'great' QBs early in their careers?? Trent will be a great QB in this league.

Blinders? Lights out? While we almost all agree that Edwards is a big upgrade over Losman, he has had more than his share of clunkers this year. His play would be described, at its best, as having been "hopeful, for things to come".

Good points

To me, if you take away TE's concussion and you put him in a better offense with a good TE for a security blanket you have about the same fast start as big Ben for the Steelers.

The IT factor, and TE's got it :lol:

One things for sure, TE has become the leader of the team and he leads by example. The Buffalo Bills will follow TE into battle anywhere and TE will follow his coach Dick Jauron. Something good is brewing in Buffalo, its a slow cooker but somethings brewing and its going to taste real good when its done.

Ralph Wilson would do well by leaving things alone. :wallbash:

You're comparing him to Roethlesberger? I'm speechless.

Yes, I have watched the great QBs early in their careers. They are almost all very inconsistent. I have also watched the unsuccessful QBs early in their careers. They were also inconsistent. It was not possible to tell the two groups apart till three or four years had passed in most cases.

Lights out? You mean he played as if the lights were out in many cases? If that's what you mean, you're right on.

Nobody knows whether Trent will be successful. Though, like you, many people have let their hopes somehow turn into "facts." Which doesn't actually make them true. Whether you know it or not, you're guessing. I hope you have guessed right.

I don't understand the fascination with the 300 yard game. I would prefer that no Buffalo QB ever throws for 300 yards. It's usually a sign that you've been forced to abandon your running game due to a deficit.

The ideal game for a quarterback involves efficiency, not total yardage. Trent had a very good yard per attempt, didn't make any mistakes and had a very efficient day in general, something which his QB rating reflects. How would throwing for a 300 yards have been an improvement on his performance?

Drew Brees consistently has "the big game", and they're not having any better of a season than us. 300 yard games for a QB occur when you've got a really really bad defense, or when your game plan is dominated by the pass. Two of our best players are our RBs, and as long as Lynch and Jackson are around, our offensive game plan should be 50% run, 50% pass.

Trent didn't have any mistakes? You didn't wake up late and turn on the game halfway through the second quarter, by any chance, did you?

Trent was inconsistent. Surprise. Still, he got better as the game went along. You have to like that. On the other hand, Denver doesn't have much of a defense. Still, you play the team you're scheduled against. Inconsistent, but good overall.

Exactly. But the same clowns here will scan the boxscores and likely didn't even watch the game. I couldn't care less how many yards he passes for, he manages the game properly and doesn't put his team in constant bad situations like JP does. There's a lot more to playing QB than the yards you pass for.

Like Trent, JP has played inconsistently. He in no way put his team in constant bad situations. He played pretty well overall, but had some bad plays, and in the last game, that bad play cost us the game. Not defending JP here, but you are way underrating his performance, and there's no reason to do that, because he's gone.

More often than not, if you have a QB passing for 300 yards, they tend to be on the losing side. Compare the stats of Drew Brees and Kerry collins this year. Passing yards are mainly for fantasy nerds.

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning's stats prove differently.

So, because Eli Manning had two tough seasons before he found success, means that given enough time, ANY QB will do the same? :lol::wallbash: THAT sounds pretty stupid to me.

Yeah, it is pretty stupid. Eli Manning had FOUR tough seasons before he found success. And with very very few exceptions, it takes successful QBs a long time. You don't have to like it. You just have to observe that it's the way the world works.

I just laugh knowing your responses before I even post. I do hope one or two understand the post and the comments. Edwards threw for 190 yards (65 on one pass). He looked much better, but still whether it is Edwards or the team, I am very unhappy with how this offense is run.

300 Yards is a benchmark and not a unheard of expectation. All good QB's do it multiple times every year. We have not had a 300 yard game for over 2 years.... That is not a good stat.

Eli Manning who people have posted about, had 6 starts year 1..... Year 2, 11 games he threw for over 200 yards and 3 over 300.... That is a fair comparison. Trent stands at 0 over his career.....

I expect more and seeing the opposition we had this year am disappointed with the results.

Take the blinders off guys....

BTW Merry Xmas....

Usually teams that can post 300+ yards passing by the QB have an excellent #1 WR and a very good #2 WR and a good pass catching TE. I don't think we have any of those three. Our #1 WR is a good WR who will probably be a #2 on most teams. Our #2 WR, Josh Reed while gets first downs is yet to get multiple 100 yard games. I hardly have seen Reed break and make yards after catch...He is good at protecting the ball, but cannot out run DBs. Teams with good offense have their WR catch at least 5-6 TDs per season.....Reed is yet to score a TD (I think). Finally, those teams have a good pass catching TE who does not drop the ball....Not so fast in buffalo.

The reason the Bills do not have a 300 yard game is due to a mix of many things including passive play calling by the OC. Don't blame everything on Edwards.

Yeah, it is pretty stupid. Eli Manning had FOUR tough seasons before he found success. And with very very few exceptions, it takes successful QBs a long time. You don't have to like it. You just have to observe that it's the way the world works.

And even in his 4th season, he was booed by the NY crowd during the 1st half of the season before the Giants turned it around in the 2nd half with their defense and RUNNING Game. Remember, Eli threw ONCE during the 2nd half in the game against the Bills last year. The Giants ran roughshod over us with Jacobs, Ward and Rashad....

Usually teams that can post 300+ yards passing by the QB have an excellent #1 WR and a very good #2 WR and a good pass catching TE. I don't think we have any of those three. Our #1 WR is a good WR who will probably be a #2 on most teams. Our #2 WR, Josh Reed while gets first downs is yet to get multiple 100 yard games. I hardly have seen Reed break and make yards after catch...He is good at protecting the ball, but cannot out run DBs. Teams with good offense have their WR catch at least 5-6 TDs per season.....Reed is yet to score a TD (I think). Finally, those teams have a good pass catching TE who does not drop the ball....Not so fast in buffalo.

The reason the Bills do not have a 300 yard game is due to a mix of many things including passive play calling by the OC. Don't blame everything on Edwards.

Very good points and one I'm not sure I know the answer for. I do think Evans is a #1 receiver, just we don't do a good job isolating him on offense. This is where I wonder if it is Edwards or the OC. I don't like the lack of screens, slants and quick hitters. New Orleans has very so so receivers too and Brees could break the single season record.

The Bills schedule this year was ripe for a number of huge games that never materialized. Even so-called tough games were against D's that ended up at the bottom of the league and the stats were terrible. We got the majority of our pass yards vs. Oakland in the 4th quarter, big chunks late too vs. Jax and SD. We should have had 300 vs. Cleveland, SF, Miami.....

The difference between having a qb who shows improvement in each of those seasons and having a qb who still doesnt learn from the same mistakes is the difference between an Eli Manning and a Bust...Looks to me that Edwards verdict is still out but I am leaning more towards the he gets it than the he doesnt have a clue ala JP...He struggled but he has shown a lot of positives this year for a 2nd yr starter..Multiple 4th qtr comebacks. The ability to keep his head in a game after a slow start.. He needs to become more durable and it would be nice to see Shonert put in better play calls but regardless I was frustrated and happy with his play over the course of the year..All things I expected coming into this season..I wish he would throw the ball down the seams more and I wish the team wouldve used Marshawn running the football more this year if they had done that I believe we wouldve won 3 more games. Next year if schonert and company are here I would expect a better play call philosophy than what we have witnessed this year. They need to run the ball more and rely less on the shotgun formation to be successful.. It will be interesting to see how Edwards plays against Belichek..History says a blowout by the Pats..It would be nice to see the Bills exact some revenge on the pats and knock them out of the playoffs..

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning's stats prove differently.

Good job. You picked 2 of the best QBs in NFL history to compare to a 2nd year QB. you are truly special.

Here's a link of every NFL QB ever: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/qbindex.htm

If you compare Edwards' #s to any of them, he compares as good if not better than most. He is a promising young QB that could be a very good one, assuming the coaches to listening to know-nothing impatient fans.

Good job. You picked 2 of the best QBs in NFL history to compare to a 2nd year QB. you are truly special.

Here's a link of every NFL QB ever: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/qbindex.htm

If you compare Edwards' #s to any of them, he compares as good if not better than most. He is a promising young QB that could be a very good one, assuming the coaches to listening to know-nothing impatient fans.

lol

The point was the stupidity of the claim that 300 yard games only are a result of playing catch up.... 300 is a benchmark and Edwards has not done it once yet, whether leading or trailing in a game..... Frankly that is a long time in terms of games played not to have a 300 yard game. Remember this post was frankly directed at those who tell us that Edwards has "it"... I really want to see that break out game where he plays 4 quarters of good football..... That too is an issue I have with him. He has not put together 4 quarters of good football for more then 2 games his entire career (SD and NYJ in 2007 the only exceptions).