Lottery Tickets Put In Christmas Cards.

Steely Dan

Lottery ticket for Christmas  

20 members have voted

1. 1. If someone won the grand prize on a high value lottery ticket....

• I would be extremely happy for them and it would be cool to see them win it all
    • I'd act like I'm happy for them but be seething inside
    • I'd quickly arrange an "accident" for them and pocket the ticket.
    • I don't know how I'd react.

I put a lottery ticket into my brothers Christmas card every year. Usually a "win for life ticket" I'd love to see him win a couple of hundred dollars but does anyone out there really want to see the person they get it for win the grand prize. I have to admit I'm conflicted about it. Especially if you pick one up for yourself and win nothing over $20

:unsure:

I put a lottery ticket into my brothers Christmas card every year. Usually a "win for life ticket" I'd love to see him win a couple of hundred dollars but does anyone out there really want to see the person they get it for win the grand prize. I have to admit I'm conflicted about it. Especially if you pick one up for yourself and win nothing over $20

I'd be happy for him. I saw how money ripped my dad's family apart. It's not worth it. In the end you can't take it with you. I'd hope he would buy me something nice - a car perhaps - but it would be his money to do with as he pleases.

i would tell them it's one of those joke cards and quietly take the disposed ticket.

From experience I could honestly say I would not be happy for them. Last year we were going to my wives brother's house for his birthday. She got him a card & 8 scratch off tickets. On the way over I took one of the scratch offs & starting scratching it off. My wife yelled at me & I assured her if I win any money I will put it back in the card. Well the ticket won $100. My wife is like awesome, my brother won $100. I looked at her like she was some kind of idiot, told her to keep her mouth shut & I kept the ticket. Given the cuircumstances, I thought it was the right thing to do. :unsure:

Nice to see you embracing the full spirit of Christmas Steely.

:thumbsup:

Look it's just a topic open for discussion. I am trying to look at this realistically. If your friend or family member really won I think most of us would be in the I don't know how I'd react category.

As I said especially if you bought a ticket for yourself too and won nothing or very little. I think most people would be kicking themselves for giving away the wrong ticket.

As for the brother in law and the $100 ticket I would have put it back in the card for him.

From experience I could honestly say I would not be happy for them. Last year we were going to my wives brother's house for his birthday. She got him a card & 8 scratch off tickets. On the way over I took one of the scratch offs & starting scratching it off. My wife yelled at me & I assured her if I win any money I will put it back in the card. Well the ticket won $100. My wife is like awesome, my brother won $100. I looked at her like she was some kind of idiot, told her to keep her mouth shut & I kept the ticket. Given the cuircumstances, I thought it was the right thing to do. :unsure:

Good post.

As I said especially if you bought a ticket for yourself too and won nothing or very little. I think most people would be kicking themselves for giving away the wrong ticket.

Can't go through life like that....you make millions of decisions in your life that alter your destiny. Picking which lotto ticket to give away is among the least of those you can second guess since it's just blind luck.

But sure, I'd be a little pissed too. :unsure:

As for Gordio, what else could he do? You can't give someone a present that was already opened.

Here's a funny prank for white elephant gifts: Go to Spencer's Gifts and get those fake lottery tickets. I did this a few years ago when we had a $5 limit on office gifts and bought four real ones and one fake one. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen when the Marine who ended up with the tickets scratched off the fake one that said he won $10k.

He was going nuts and showed the ticket to a few other people to validate what he saw. They were whooping and hollering until one guy read the fine print. Too funny!

Here's the key - don't give a ticket to anyone who you feel wouldn't share some of it if it was a big winner.

The only folks I ever give lottery tickets as gifts are my in-laws, and I know if they hit it big they would do something nice for me or the kids. I don't give them tickets because I feel they would share the wealth, I give them tickets because they are good people.

If you give a ticket to someone who is a selfish person to begin with then you have to realize he'd probably not share anything with you if he got a winner - not the type of person I'd want to give a ticket to anyway...