truth on hold

Bills Coaches Post-Levy  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Who's been the best?

• Wade Phillips
    • Greg Williams
    • Mike Mularkey
    • Dick Jauron

I kind of hate to admit it, but I think Bum's kid was the best we had. Just shows how sorry our selections have been. Granted he's inherited 2 playoff teams in Buffalo and Dallas, but he's still the only one on the list to make it to post-season. He seems to be able to put together more balanced teams and assemble better coaching staffs than the others.

After Li'l Bum, I'd rate Williams and Jauron equally -- Williams thought he'd be labeled a "genius" because he blitzed every down, when all he did was make the opponent's game planning easy. Jauron just doesn't have it when it comes to big games, and big plays in important games. He's Schottenheimer's "mini-me."

And Mularkey was simply the pits. He was Jauron's bad side at all times ... he ranks down there with Hank Bullough and Jim Ringo.

I kind of hate to admit it, but I think Bum's kid was the best we had. Just shows how sorry our selections have been. Granted he's inherited 2 playoff teams in Buffalo and Dallas, but he's still the only one on the list to make it to post-season. He seems to be able to put together more balanced teams and assemble better coaching staffs than the others.

After Li'l Bum, I'd rate Williams and Jauron equally -- Williams thought he'd be labeled a "genius" because he blitzed every down, when all he did was make the opponent's game planning easy. Jauron just doesn't have it when it comes to big games, and big plays in important games. He's Schottenheimer's "mini-me."

And Mularkey was simply the pits. He was Jauron's bad side at all times ... he ranks down there with Hank Bullough and Jim Ringo.

Based on results, it is obvious that Wade was the best of the bunch...but, as unpopular as this might be, I would have liked to seen Mularkey stick around for another year or two...I think he and Levy would have worked well together...

Based on results, it is obvious that Wade was the best of the bunch...but, as unpopular as this might be, I would have liked to seen Mularkey stick around for another year or two...I think he and Levy would have worked well together...

So would Marv. But Mularkey bolted. On the other hand, no other team has given Mularkey a chance again so maybe Mike knew he was in over his head.

Wasn't meathead demoted from OC to TE coach in Miami?

Amazing that people here did there best to run Wade out of town. How poor is your memory? Remember how poorly he handled the Johnson / Flutie QB situation? Remember his poor hiring of coaches, and how he wouldn't fire a guy that deserved it? Remember the "punt catcher"?

People have selective memory.

Amazing that people here did there best to run Wade out of town. How poor is your memory? Remember how poorly he handled the Johnson / Flutie QB situation? Remember his poor hiring of coaches, and how he wouldn't fire a guy that deserved it? Remember the "punt catcher"?

he was also on the wrong end of music city miracle. and to the best of my knowledge he's never won a playoff game. BUT I still think he's better than the others

Wade was a good coach and decent guy. I was glad to see him go but in retrospect, that was stupid.

Agree about the decent guy part, but that's about it.

He needed to go because he was handling the team poorly - the Flutie/RJ debacle, his comment about both the Bills & Colts being out of the playoff chase, hiring his buddy (who had never coached football) to run special teams, and then refusing to fire him when it was obvious the guy had no clue.

Wade is the classic example of a great coordinator, but not a good head coach. Even Dallas is underachieving right now with all of the talent they have. He's lucky to have Tony Romo...they'd be a 5-win team without him.

Punt catcher? Who cared? And as for the Johnson/Flutie controversy, there was no good way to handle that one, because both were about equally not-quite-good-enough. If we had had Flutie a few years earlier when he still had a live arm ...

And the only bad hiring of coaches was Ronnie what'shisname, the STs coach. Granted, he was really bad, but the others were fine.

There wasn't a "best". There was a least worst...and I guess that would have to be Jauron. Phillips took a playoff team out of the playoffs, Williams took a close to playoff team into mediocrity, Mularky took a mediocre team into the basement and Jauron took a team from the basement to mediocrity. Let's not use best with this crowd.

I'm not sure how fair it is to stick all the blame on Wade for the RJ/Flutie situation without knowing exactly how much interference there was coming from Wilson. My guess (and it's no more than that) is that if it was solely down to Wade, Flutie would have started the playoff game against the Titans.

There wasn't a "best". There was a least worst...and I guess that would have to be Jauron. Phillips took a playoff team out of the playoffs, Williams took a close to playoff team into mediocrity, Mularky took a mediocre team into the basement and Jauron took a team from the basement to mediocrity. Let's not use best with this crowd.

Just so people don't forget history entirely, the Bills were 6-10 in Marv's last year, before Wade took over. Under Wade they went 10-6 in that first year, and 11-5 in the next.

You could say he still was working with the players Marv had, but it's a fact that he took a six-win team and turned it into a winner.

Refusing to fire the ST's coach was the dumbest thing any HC anywhere has ever done. It was like refusing to throw out a rotten dinner.

The Flutie Johnson stuff wasn't much of his fault. I think he had a guy who was young and needed to get reps to find out how high his talent level went and then Flutie who was ripping the locker room apart. I think if Wade had his choice he would have cut one or the other.

This shouldn't even be a question, the answer starts and stops with, "Who is the only coach of these 4 to take us to the playoffs?" Easy answer.

:unsure: Exactly.

Does Mike Mularkey have a logon ID here? He must because who else would have given him a vote?

:thumbsup:

Maybe someone was in the Christmas spirit.