Ross Tucker: Many Players Don't Care About Playoffs

Arkady Renko

I'm pretty naive, but I sure hope nobody (except JP) has this attitude.

Losman's attitude has been good every minute of his stay in Buffalo. Your comment sheds much more light on your attitude, which is small, poisonous and frustrated. You may be a wonderful guy in the rest of your life, but in this area, you are small-minded and filled with unreasonable hate.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, but he was talking about when he was on the skins in that exampe I think. I like Ross articles,as well as Micheal Lombardi

Yeah, me too. Both those writers are really good.

Just my opinion, but I don't think we've got any of those guys on this team. He mentions that they are almost always guys who have already made their money, they are on a second or third contract. We haven't got many of those guys. We're a young team. The one guy I wonder about is McCargo.

I remember reading an article from a personnel guy about how he likes to pick free agents to sign. He said he looked at game tape of games that where the game was out of hand. On the team that was getting its tail whipped, he wanted to see who was still playing hard, who was still angry when the game was over.

I recall one example of such a player was Lawyer Milloy.

I will bet that players like Marshawn Lynch are not who Ross Tucker is talking about.

Sunday's game with the Pats will be very revealing. If the Bills lay down and die, you can bet there are a lot of uhauls packed to the gills in the parking lot with the engines running. I doubt many of the Bills are too happy being in WNY in in late December, unless they have some ties to the area or are farm boys from Indiana. Oh boy, 10 degrees and a foot of snow and far away from where I'm from... just where I want to be the week between Christmas and New Years with a meaningless game upcoming... this game will be very revealing as to how many uhauls are in the parking lot...

McGahee played for the Redskins when?

Kenard Lang is my guess.

Yea I think you're right. It would fit the profile Tucker talks about. From Florida, went to Miami, high first round pick. The 2001 Roster shows not too many Florida guys on the roster.

Unless Tucker could just be saying Florida instead of somewhere else. It seems it would be too obvious to do some sloothing on it.

Sam Adams seems like an obvious one. He had already won his SB (and appeared in another one with the Raiders) by the time he got to the Bills ...

Ehh, I think that might be off base. I would think the category for guys like Ross is talking about is the guys that probably haven't made the playoffs before. Adams consistenly made the playoffs before he came to Buffalo, which would lead me to believe the that he wanted to keep getting back to it.

But it is true that Adams was pretty pissed off his last year on the Bills about reduced playing time.

I would think 90% of NFL players have this attitude.

A lot of these guys don't even like football, at least not anywhere near the level of the fans.

My one college roommate was a RB on our team (albeit D-III). He hated football. He only played because he had always played, and that was expected of him. My sense was a lot of players feel that way.

I think the Bills have had plenty of those guys in recent years, but the big problem is not extreme examples like that. The problem is the large amount of players who can be motivated into caring, but aren't because their coaches don't create a competitive enough environment to bring out the best in them.

I think the Bills have had plenty of those guys in recent years, but the big problem is not extreme examples like that. The problem is the large amount of players who can be motivated into caring, but aren't because their coaches don't create a competitive enough environment to bring out the best in them.

Amen to that! :unsure:

Losman's attitude has been good every minute of his stay in Buffalo. Your comment sheds much more light on your attitude, which is small, poisonous and frustrated. You may be a wonderful guy in the rest of your life, but in this area, you are small-minded and filled with unreasonable hate.

Too true. JP's abilities on the field are up for debate but his work ethic is not, he is a very hard worker.

Tucker is always great to read. The "inside" look he gives is very interesting.

Here's a link to his first work for SI, just after he was cut from the Skins camp last year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...cker/index.html

he is a great guy. the year he referred to was when the skins still had training camp at the college where i coached track. they took on our throws coach as a volunteer strength coach and he became really good friends with ross. ross always made sure that this guy and his three kids had tickets to any skins game he wanted...right up through the 07 season.

thanks to my old coaching buddy i had a chance to go to the skins/bills game last year (courtesy of ross tucker), but my wife was about to give birth!

Yea I think you're right. It would fit the profile Tucker talks about. From Florida, went to Miami, high first round pick. The 2001 Roster shows not too many Florida guys on the roster.

Unless Tucker could just be saying Florida instead of somewhere else. It seems it would be too obvious to do some sloothing on it.

Could also be fullback Donnell Bennett, a U of M guy from Fort Lauderdale, taken in 2nd round by Chiefs in 94 He was 29 years old, '01 was his only season with the Skins and his last season in the NFL He was also an offensive player as was Tucker.

Lang was a pretty intense player and relatively young(26) at the time and going to become an UFA at end of season which wouldn't really fit the profile as he was needing to impress to make the big bucks.

I would think 90% of NFL players have this attitude.

A lot of these guys don't even like football, at least not anywhere near the level of the fans.

My one college roommate was a RB on our team (albeit D-III). He hated football. He only played because he had always played, and that was expected of him. My sense was a lot of players feel that way.

My wife is the boss of a guy who played three years for the Saints after starting at safety for USC. He was also drafted by the A's. He said the biggest mistake he ever made was choosing football over baseball (he didn't want to do the minors circuit). He loves baseball and can't even watch football. He added that everything that he learned that was good in sports came from baseball. He thinks a large portion of the players in the NFL are thugs, and that transitioning to regular society from the NFL is very tough. He also thinks the league is a meatgrinder that chews guys and spits them out without a care. He's actually not a bitter guy at all -- simply reflective. He was elated when our eight year old son chose fall baseball over football this year.

I guess most people never stop to think about this, but I guess its not too much different than any other job---you have those that come in and want to succeed at all costs, and then you have those who couldn't give a crap as long as they get their check at the end of the week...

You would think those type of players in the NFL wouldn't last too long, but if they have physical talent I suppose teams hope they will change their attitude, but it usually doesn't happen...

I guess most people never stop to think about this, but I guess its not too much different than any other job---you have those that come in and want to succeed at all costs, and then you have those who couldn't give a crap as long as they get their check at the end of the week...

You would think those type of players in the NFL wouldn't last too long, but if they have physical talent I suppose teams hope they will change their attitude, but it usually doesn't happen...

10 mill check is NOT any other job.