James Hardy vs Steve Johnson

Why does everyone keep saying James Hardy is a bust and not Steve Johnson? I like them both and I think they are both gonna be good for this team. Everyone knows that most receivers take a couple years to make an impact. I know Hardy was drafted a lot earlier but they have almost the same stats. Both have 9 receptions with Johnson about 10 more yards. James Hardy has 1 more td than Johnson. I have wanted a big receiver since Moulds left and they finally got Hardy. I was excited when they got him.

Any draftee from rounds 1-2 maybe 1-3 that dont pan out can be busts, anything after those rounds are gambles......

I think both Hardy & Johnson will be good for the Bills. Hardy needs to come back next year with a different attitude, he needs to be hungry to see the field. I watch his college highlightes and I see his play with the Bills, 2 different players we have.....Once he grabs the play book and the confidence he should be ok.

amen to that. calling a receiver a bust after 1-2 years is a joke

Agreed completely, but to answer the OP's question, people are calling Hardy a bust because he was a second round pick, while Steve Johnson was a 7th round pick. Frankly, any kind of production at all from a 7th rounder in his rookie season is a plus.

Any draftee from rounds 1-2 maybe 1-3 that dont pan out can be busts, anything after those rounds are gambles......

I think both Hardy & Johnson will be good for the Bills. Hardy needs to come back next year with a different attitude, he needs to be hungry to see the field. I watch his college highlightes and I see his play with the Bills, 2 different players we have.....Once he grabs the play book and the confidence he should be ok.

Hardy just doesn't seem to possess the ability to aid his quarterback when he's in trouble. A good receiver is as much about reading what is going on with the play when it blows up as what happens when it's all peachy. Moulds took a while, so there's certainly time, but there is reason to be concerned with Hardy.

Anything out of a seventh round pick as a rookie is a bonus.

Why does everyone keep saying James Hardy is a bust and not Steve Johnson? I like them both and I think they are both gonna be good for this team. Everyone knows that most receivers take a couple years to make an impact. I know Hardy was drafted a lot earlier but they have almost the same stats. Both have 9 receptions with Johnson about 10 more yards. James Hardy has 1 more td than Johnson. I have wanted a big receiver since Moulds left and they finally got Hardy. I was excited when they got him.

As others stated, because Hardy was 2nd round pick, and because the posters unfairly expected 8+ TD's in his rookie season thinking he was the missing piece of our O.

It is further fueled by his lack of progress and almost regression as the season went on. He couldnt play his way onto the field much, then finally gets a break with the game winning TD. Unfortunately he followed it up with terrible routes, and real bad drops on easy catches and drops on key plays. Word out of practice and from the staff also stated his struggles to learn the system.

Doesnt mean he will be a bust, but he has shown very little to this point. Johnson, who had sleeper potential, then steps in and makes some nice plays (although he has dropped a couple too) and shows some promise. So, it makes Hardy look worse given on where they were chosen.

Honestly though, I liked Johnson coming out of college and thought he could be a steal much like Colston was in the late rounds. To this point, Johnson has shown more potential and he is good size, while Hardy has shown very little potential outside of his size.

But it is too early too tell on either one...next years training camp will be interesting to see if either can beat out Reed and which one will be ahead on the depth chart...

I actually really liked his attitude--he WAS hungry and studied hard and said all the right things. Those are great signs.

His problem is that learning how to play WR in the NFL takes a few years-- if we don't see him stepping up into a featured role by year 3, then I'll be disappointed.

First.....Hardy has been given many more opportunities then Johnson....Johnson has actually made a bigger immediate impact.

BUT

The thing is I think Johnson was just more NFL ready....I dont think it says anything about Hardy that he was not productive this year....he is FULL of potential.

I like them both

Uh, look at the game tape. Who inspires more confidence and seems better at his routes? Also who has had more opportunities? Who has been more productive? What's the opp:prod ratio?

I don't think Hardy is a bust. But at this point, I'm a lot more confident at saying that Johnson is so much the better receiver.

Taking into account that glaciers move faster than our coaches ability to recognize playmakers on this team. Just observe the A-Train vs Jackson decision. And the Aiken and Bannen releases.

Ad infinitum....

C

A rookie cannot be considered a bust in thier first year they might not look like stars yet either but of the 2 Johnson ha impressed me the most I would like to see what he can do in the number 2 spot.

Hardy and Johnson to this date have ran different routes.

Hardy = JUMP Balls against DB

Johnson = Dump offs against LB

Oh, I don't know if that's accurate :rolleyes:

They *do* run different routes - Johnson knows how to run routes and use his body well. Hardy - at this point - hasn't run a route yet. That's why he's being used for jump balls. No routes involved.

Johnson to me seems a smart, heady player. Look at the Jets game and how he positions himself against DBs. He's been well coached and plays smart.

It's clear to me that Hardy was just asked to go out there and make plays and make the most of physical ability and athleticism. That ain't gonna be enough in the NFL. So I think he's had more of a learning curve. But I also think he's having trouble staying focussed when the ball isn't being throw his way.

Not a bad criticism. Probably most rookie WRs struggle. But I'm on the SJ bandwagon - I think he can be scary good.

C