2007- 25th/124.6 ypg

Offense

Game Stats: 2008- 23rd/309.4 ypg

2007- 30th/277.1 ypg

passing: 2008- 20th/195.5 ypg

2007- 30th/164.6

rushing: 2008- 15th/113.9

2007- 15th/112.5

Statistically, there have been improvements on both sides of the ball. The defense jumped up 19 spots from 31st to 12th, with the pass defense moving up 18 spots from 29th to 11th, so that right there says we did a good job of drafting CB's and shouldn't need anymore this offseason. the top 10 pass defenses ranged from 163.3 ypg (Steelers) to 197.8 (colts), so we're not that far off. Getting a good pass rush will accelerate our pass defense into the top 5. Rush defense improved 6 spots from 25th to 19th, bringing in Stroud helped out, but it's still an area that could be helped. Losing Crowell was a big loss, plus with Schobel going out with his injury hurt the run defense, so I think we would of had better numbers if those 2 were in the lineup.

Offense, we jumped up 7 spots from 30th to 23rd. Pass took a jump from 30th to 20th. IMO, that stat got better this year because 1.) There was not the QB flip floping like we had last year. 2.) Edwards progressed from last year (at least in the beginning of the season). We basically used the same offense as last year. Our rookies made small contributions (Hardy, Fine & S. Johnson- 4 TD's total). The top 10 pass offenses arange from 304.2 ypg (saints) to 228.9 (Dolphins). IMO, in order for us to have a Top 10 offense, Edwards needs a couple more weapons. A tall, physical WR (like Jennings & Housh) would be huge as it take pressure off of Evans and open up our run game more. A starting TE would help out as well. Maybe Steve Johnson & Derek Fine can fill these roles next year, it's possible, but something needs to be done.

Yes, stats are all fine and nice, but if you've got decent to good stats and you're still losing, then that goes back to coaching and play calling. Which is another reason why I think our group of coaches (Jauron & Schonert) need to be fired after the season.

Defense

Game Stats: 2008- 12th/317.4 yards per game

2007- 31st/362.9ypg

pass defense: 2008- 11th/203.4 ypg

2007- 29th/238.4 ypg

rush defense: 2008- 19th/114.1 ypg

2007- 25th/124.6 ypg

Offense

2007- 30th/277.1 ypg

2007- 30th/164.6

2007- 15th/112.5

Statistically, there have been improvements on both sides of the ball. The defense jumped up 19 spots from 31st to 12th, with the pass defense moving up 18 spots from 29th to 11th, so that right there says we did a good job of drafting CB's and shouldn't need anymore this offseason. the top 10 pass defenses ranged from 163.3 ypg (Steelers) to 197.8 (colts), so we're not that far off. Getting a good pass rush will accelerate our pass defense into the top 5. Rush defense improved 6 spots from 25th to 19th, bringing in Stroud helped out, but it's still an area that could be helped. Losing Crowell was a big loss, plus with Schobel going out with his injury hurt the run defense, so I think we would of had better numbers if those 2 were in the lineup.

Offense, we jumped up 7 spots from 30th to 23rd. Pass took a jump from 30th to 20th. IMO, that stat got better this year because 1.) There was not the QB flip floping like we had last year. 2.) Edwards progressed from last year (at least in the beginning of the season). We basically used the same offense as last year. Our rookies made small contributions (Hardy, Fine & S. Johnson- 4 TD's total). The top 10 pass offenses arange from 304.2 ypg (saints) to 228.9 (Dolphins). IMO, in order for us to have a Top 10 offense, Edwards needs a couple more weapons. A tall, physical WR (like Jennings & Housh) would be huge as it take pressure off of Evans and open up our run game more. A starting TE would help out as well. Maybe Steve Johnson & Derek Fine can fill these roles next year, it's possible, but something needs to be done.

Yes, stats are all fine and nice, but if you've got decent to good stats and you're still losing, then that goes back to coaching and play calling. Which is another reason why I think our group of coaches (Jauron & Schonert) need to be fired after the season.

This just proves what I suspected -- the team is better irrespective of their record. Your point about playcalling doesn't make much sense, by the way -- if the playcalling was so poor, they wouldn't have improved so much on both sides of the ball. The issue, I think, has been turnover differential and sacks. Those are game turning plays, and the Bills have been on the losing end of that.

This just proves what I suspected -- the team is better irrespective of their record. Your point about playcalling doesn't make much sense, by the way -- if the playcalling was so poor, they wouldn't have improved so much on both sides of the ball. The issue, I think, has been turnover differential and sacks. Those are game turning plays, and the Bills have been on the losing end of that.

The defense hasn't been losing the games for us, it's been the offense & the play calling. Last week's pass play/fumble/Jets TD - play calling. Settling for a 47 yd FG instead of trying to get closer and running the clock down (Browns game) - play calling.

It also tells me that the year before (2007) the Bills played the toughest schedule in the NFL...and this year it was MUCH easier..hence the 'improvement'.

No improvement IMO has been mdde.

Good points. This year was suppose to be an easier schedule but the easy teams got better.

Fine tuning this team instead of rebuilding it would be the best option. I still think we need about 3 missing pieces to both offense & defense and will be a playoff team. But coaching/play calling will hinder us from becoming a championship team, which is why I think Jauron & Schonert need to go.

i think this is a good and clear picture of the state of the bills.

we are out of the playoffs this year due to turnovers -- we didn't get enough and we gave up too many.

both the jets losses, the miami losses, the arizona loss (although i think we just would never have won that one), the clevland game and perhaps the san fran game were due to turnovers.

that's 5-6 games, if we were half better on those we would have 3 additional wins, and have a shot at an 11-5 season.

i think this is a good and clear picture of the state of the bills.

we are out of the playoffs this year due to turnovers -- we didn't get enough and we gave up too many.

both the jets losses, the miami losses, the arizona loss (although i think we just would never have won that one), the clevland game and perhaps the san fran game were due to turnovers.

that's 5-6 games, if we were half better on those we would have 3 additional wins, and have a shot at an 11-5 season.

I think you're right. And I also think with the great spaceial teams play, improved O and D, you can point

to DJ and botching coaching decisions as probably costing this team 2 -3 wins.

Jauron costs this team wins, and I don't any amount of talent THIS front office will bring in is going to be able to

overcome that critical flaw.

The defense hasn't been losing the games for us, it's been the offense & the play calling. Last week's pass play/fumble/Jets TD - play calling. Settling for a 47 yd FG instead of trying to get closer and running the clock down (Browns game) - play calling.

The defense hasn't had enough sacks or created enough turnovers. That's on them.

Actually, if all the numbers indicate a better or improving team, isn't that an argument for keeping our coaches? It seems Jauron could take these numbers to Ralph and say, "See, its working. We need to stop the turnovers and stay healthy (Trent, Schobel, Greer, Reed, Youboty, Crowell). But, we're on the right tack."

Do you really make significant changes in a team that's shown this much improvement?

Of course, this is all countered with... have you seen this apathetic team on the field?

The defense hasn't had enough sacks or created enough turnovers. That's on them.

You are right about the lack of sacks. Our DE's suck, there's no way to sugar coat that. If we had more pressure on the QB, we would have more turnovers. The thought process by management going into the season was that bringing in Stroud & Spencer Johnson would help free up the DE's to get more pressure, instead of getting better DE's to get the job done. But the offense has to do it's part as well. Plus the coaches have been screwing things up as well. How many times when we're in the red zone do we see the coaches throw it on 2nd & goal and 3rd & goal from the 2 instead of handing it off to Lynch? How many times has Jackson been used in the red zone instead of Lynch? How many times have they went for it on 4th & whatever instead of trying a FG? Those are costly mistakes and those mistakes have cost us at least 2 to 3 games this year and last year.

Actually, if all the numbers indicate a better or improving team, isn't that an argument for keeping our coaches? It seems Jauron could take these numbers to Ralph and say, "See, its working. We need to stop the turnovers and stay healthy (Trent, Schobel, Greer, Reed, Youboty, Crowell). But, we're on the right tack."

Do you really make significant changes in a team that's shown this much improvement?

Of course, this is all countered with... have you seen this apathetic team on the field?

You make valid points, but it's hard to argue when the coaches keep making boneheaded calls that costs us multiple games over the last couple of years. Last year vs the Broncos & this year vs the Jets, instead of running out the clock with a lead and actually running the ball, they try pass plays which cost us both games. 2006 season opener vs the pats, instead of kicking a FG to tack on the lead, we run on 4 & 1 and McGahee gets stopped for a loss, which was the momentum changer in that game. Having Edwards throw in the redzone vs the cowboys last year which got picked off and ran into our territory, instead of giving it to Lynch cost us the game. Not getting closer for Lindell to kick a FG and running more time off the clock vs the browns this year, cost us the game. Choosing not to try a FG when in FG range twice during the Blizzard game in Cleveland last year, and throwing a screen pass to Jackson on 4 & 5 cost us that game.

Defense

Game Stats: 2008- 12th/317.4 yards per game

2007- 31st/362.9ypg

pass defense: 2008- 11th/203.4 ypg

2007- 29th/238.4 ypg

rush defense: 2008- 19th/114.1 ypg

2007- 25th/124.6 ypg

Offense

2007- 30th/277.1 ypg

2007- 30th/164.6

2007- 15th/112.5

Unfortunately the only stat that counts is how many wins you have. This team has not jumped the right side of that hurddle yet.

You are right about the lack of sacks. Our DE's suck, there's no way to sugar coat that. If we had more pressure on the QB, we would have more turnovers. The thought process by management going into the season was that bringing in Stroud & Spencer Johnson would help free up the DE's to get more pressure, instead of getting better DE's to get the job done. But the offense has to do it's part as well. Plus the coaches have been screwing things up as well. How many times when we're in the red zone do we see the coaches throw it on 2nd & goal and 3rd & goal from the 2 instead of handing it off to Lynch? How many times has Jackson been used in the red zone instead of Lynch? How many times have they went for it on 4th & whatever instead of trying a FG? Those are costly mistakes and those mistakes have cost us at least 2 to 3 games this year and last year.

Not to say that our DEs are great, but the loss of Schoebel was huge. He's a good, consistent player that has to be accounted for. Without him, they're a very weak unit.

Not to say that our DEs are great, but the loss of Schoebel was huge. He's a good, consistent player that has to be accounted for. Without him, they're a very weak unit.

There really not much better with him. He's good against the run, but sub-par when it comes to putting pressure on the QB.

There really not much better with him. He's good against the run, but sub-par when it comes to putting pressure on the QB.

maybe the reason for his lack of pass-rushing production this year was due to his foot being hurt? at least I hope so. We're still on the hook w/ his contract for several years thanks to that extension...

I think the main problem is our playcalling in the redzone. We move the ball pretty well between the 20's, but get into the redzone and can't get TD's. I have never seen a team who refuses to throw the ball into the endzone from 15 or 20 yards out more than this Bills team. They would rather dunk a pass off that will get a first down at the 8 yard line and then try and fit the ball into a tiny area filled with defenders rather than throwing the ball into the endzone from further out where the defenders are more spread out...that is my biggest complaint with our redzone offense...

It's big plays.

In 2007 the Bills defense forced a turnover that directly resulted in a TD or set up the Bills in opposition territory 16 times.

This year, they've done it 12 times.

In 2007, the Bills offense committed a turnover that direct resulted in TD or set up their opponent in Bills territory 12 times.

This year, they've done it 18 times.

So, yeah, great, they move down the field better. It's a start, I guess. But they're more careless with the ball than they were last year, and they don't make as many big plays on defense either.

Somehow, the Bills are still +3 in points off turnovers differential this year. I guess that can be chalked up to their hot start, but it's pretty crazy given how bad their turnover differential is. Oh well, !@#$ it, the defense still doesn't make enough plays.